International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Grease Monkey

Rusty Body Panels

I need opinions on body panels; unfortunately for me the previous owner decided to drive my Jeep into a muddy lake and not clean the mud out, this, combined with the fact that I live in Kansas and we put more salt on our roads here than we do our food, my rear quarter panels and my rocker panels, as well as my driver’s side quarter panel are getting rusty, I was wondering if anyone has found replacements somewhere and if it's worth my time/effort/money to replace these. Both the rear panels are rusted completely through in the typical spots and the rocker panels have softball sized holes in them. Should I just try and find a new Jeep with not so much rust? I would love to save this Jeep because it has a lot of sentimental value, but I only have so much money…

Thanks Guys
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 AM

If you want to fix it right, you'll have to cut out the rust and weld in new steel. Sounds like this is what you have in mind. If you need a lot of patches, the cheapest route probably is to find a parts car and either swap bodies or cut the panels you need from the parts car and weld into your car's body. These are not valuable vehicles unless in pristine, low-mileage condition, so try and balance your sentiment against the cost and time needed for repairs. Some repair panels are available from BJ's and Raybuck and likely others, but if you need a lot of complicated patches, buying a parts car may be a better route.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Dexron Impaired

If your rig is a good runner and the frame's solid, then I'd do exactly as Tim suggested.