International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Gear Head

FSJ parts prices

When you guys price your parts, how do you do it?

I am parting an 86 waggie. There is a dude here in Florida that wants the doors and a fender. All I know of to figure out parts prices is to check here and ebay. No doors and the fender prices are all over. Ebay has fenders for an 86 waggie from 40 bucks to over 200, asking price.

I want to be fair to anyone that buys parts. BUt I also want to make sure I get a fair price for them. This is why I always ask for offers on any parts. Cause I have no idea what to ask for most of the parts.

Thanks..........
Old 11-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Ive got a fender i was going to sell to a guy from my j10 for 40 bucks.. I know how hard it is to get parts so I dont try to screw people for cash for used parts. I try to do the Id like $50 for it.. but Im easy.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM

On another note.. how is the floor in it??
Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Gear Head

Ya know this is actually a good "moral" question on some levels, as I know for myself I like to think what comes around goes around, so I tend to treat buyers as I like to be treated as a buyer, because "profiteers" are not my kind of guys.

Heres my own rule of thumb for when Im buying or selling:

Fenders: $40-$50 each
Windshields: $100
Quarter panels: $100
Bucket seats: Maybe $40 each
Hoods: $30-40
Rims: $25 if in decent shape
Doors: Depends on if Im getting glass and hardware in the deal, but Ive gone $75 in the past when buying

Again, Im also the sorta guy that likes to lean against a truck all day and chew the fat with the old timers who may have the parts Im looking for, so the longer I linger the better the price I tend to get when Im buying.

Your mileage may vary...

Chuck Brown
1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift
Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Ristows' Minion

Geez Chuck, I gotta raise my prices! LOL. I agree with you. I usually will look to see what private parties are selling on Ebay and what the bids are running. Businesses are usually much higher, but sometimes with good reasons such as overhead, warranties etc. Most of us just do it for fun or to finance our next nightmare project.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Gear Head

Chuck, you got it. I never want to overcharge for anything. To me it's all about the morals or karma or whatever. If they really needed something to get back on the road and didn't have the cash, I'd rather just give the part to them.

And trying to decide what a part is worth is real hard for me, the time it takes to pull a part is usually more than the part is worth. Especially if I take time during work hours. And I don't have any free time after work.

Then again, the buyer really sets the price. I bet I have the few doors in NE Florida. BUt I bet the dude is the only one in NE Florida that needs waggie doors right now. That is way I usually ask the buyer to set the price. I'll almost always say yes unless I know they are low-balling me. I'm not going to sell the tranny for $25. And I knew what the axles were worth.

I was going to sell the doors, glass and all, including the PW motors. Basically unbolt them from the side of the waggie. Same as the fender but there is really nothing extra there. I'll check tomorrow but I think they are almost rust free on all the parts.

Most importantly, I don't want to screw the buyer.

I'll keep your price guide. I guess $150 for everything is a fair asking price. To start anyway. Dude has a bit of a drive to come get the parts. And of course I'll help pull them.

The floors are good and bad, depending on the area you need.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 AM

ill tell ya i cant give my crap away! ive got an 89 and i just want the drivetrain gone!!!!!!!!!! not easy to sell here. well for me at least.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper63b
ill tell ya i cant give my crap away! ive got an 89 and i just want the drivetrain gone!!!!!!!!!! not easy to sell here. well for me at least.

Ill help you out.. take a vaca to orlando drop it off at my place and when you come to pick it up the drive train will be gone
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM

I ended up calling the local Craigslist junk guy to come and get all my crap.. some of it was good but I just needed it out of the way