Is a Jasper engine worth the extra cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IronDog
    232 I6
    • Dec 03, 2002

Is a Jasper engine worth the extra cost?

Is a Jasper remanufactured engine really worth the extra cost?

I?ve read all the letters that I can find here, and talked to a lot of people and still can?t make up my mind. In the last few weeks, I?ve found at least 15 remanufactured AMC 360?s, from $900 to $2900. Obviously, a Jasper seems to have the best reputation, but it is more than $1000 more than an ATK, for example! The ATK seems to be a quality remanufactured engine, and not the cheap, slapped together junk like the chain store engines. The Jasper comes with a new timing cover ($200 from BJ?s), the oil pan already installed (but I don?t really need a new oil pan), it has chromed valve stems (don?t know if that?s of any value or not), and it has been test run at the shop. What I don?t know is, what has Jasper done that is worth more than $800 that I can?t account for? Is their name and reputation worth that, or have they really done something that will make their engine that much more valuable to me? Will it last $800 worth longer?

A remanufactured engine is the right choice for me. I?ve rebuilt engines before, but right now, I don?t have the time or inclination. I want a good, first rate engine, but don?t want to feel like a sap for wasting $800.

BTY, I want to thank everyone here for all the incredibly good information that I?ve gotten from this site. I am regularly amazed at how much is available here, and how everything that I?ve had to fix on my ?91 GW, has already been addressed somewhere here before. I have been unashamedly taking all this free info ever since I rescued my GW from a junk yard two years ago, and I appreciate it. Thanks!
    \'91GW,360,Edelbrock Performer,TBI,MSD,K&N
  • sloop
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 02, 2002

Sorry I don't have any advice for you. One of my friends recently swapped in an ATK engine and had nothing but good things to say about their service and quality of the engine.
    Mark
    Jeep 4.0L Swap Guide

Comment

• Rogue
      360 AMC
      • Nov 17, 2001

i personally took apart a manual transmission for a friend of mine - this was in a mustang cobra - 1st owner had transmission replaced I found the documents in the glovebox - the 2nd owner - said friend - has a problem with it not wanting to shift into 2nd - now this car has 30k miles on it and the reason I'm looking through the glovebox is because this transmission says "Jasper" on the side of it and with only 30k miles something funny is going on - anyhow to make a long story short the inside of this transmission looked like it had layed outside in a mudpuddle ( very bad pitting on half of the gears from rust ) and had been slapped together and shipped as needed - so no in my opinion when a rebuilt trans only lasts 15k miles and looks like absolute dog **** inside its definetly not worth the "name" - this is why i prefer to build everything myself not just cause i know how but so I that I know what has been done to this thing
      Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• Drivir8
        350 Buick
        • Nov 01, 2002

I was thinking of putting a re-manufacturd 360 in my Wag as well, but decided to go with a good used one instead. In researching my options I mentioned Jasper engines to our mechanic and he just about blew a gasket... said they went through 3 of them for 3 different customers and he would never buy from them again. He said they where definately NOT worth the extra cost and in fact he wouldnt even buy one if it WAS cheeper... so this is second hand info for sure but this guy had no reason to mis-lead me, the work on my GF's Trans am and do all our inspections and such. Soooo.... as I said, I decided to go with a used engine and of course before I put it in I will be doing everything short of a re-build to make it last... new water pump, re-built oil pump( I might even ut that cool Improved oil pump kit I read about on here in) timeing chain, up-graded ground, battery wire and any other wire that looks questionable. up-graded starter system and EVERYthing cleaned primed and painted. I figure including the cost of the engine It will still be less than $600... [img]smile.gif[/img] course being a used engine it COULD seize 5 min. after I start it up! but lets hope not!

Comment

• johnypreflt
          258 I6
          • Mar 18, 2002

Never used Jasper but have had several engines redone in various vehicles and almost allways it is cheaper to have your current engine rebuilt by a mechanic you trust. this also allows an easy course of action if there is ever a problem. jmho
          BLUE BEAST,1980 J-10 (FOR SALE)
          CHEVY 350,th350,33" SIDEWINDERS
          PICS http://www.fsjworld.com/prefltspage/
          [email protected]

Comment

• BigChief
            258 I6
            • Jun 26, 2001

Jasper sells engines on their reputation not their quality. meaning that they where good at one time but from what other shop owners have told me is that they get a lot of problems with them .If the other place is local to you it may be easier if a problem arrises and if you are doing the swap yourself, make sure the warrenty doesn't stae "by a qualified mechanic" what does that mean any way, well all I know it means is a way to screw you on the warreny if you do it yourself.
            79 cherokee w/t <br />@ 9-10inches of suspenion lift w/stcok springs on 37\"tsl\'s

Comment

• porchpiggy
              350 Buick
              • May 13, 2001

In the remanufactured engine field you are going to have failures, no matter how high the quality or price. I've heard many good things about Jasper, but I am not familiar with their failure rate. I work a second job at a parts store and we supply a handful of local mechanics from one man shops to a seven bay five mechanic set-up. Around here a lot of people drive high miles to commute to work, so high milage clean cars are common, as are people wanting to have engines rebuilt. Mechanics have found that they can install a reman in a much faster trun around time, for about the same money as rebuilding themselves, and customers are happier to have their car back quicker. They all use (for what ever reason) Gopher motors and of about 20 I personally know of there has been two failures, burnt valve at about 5000 miles, and bad pushrods that looked bad right away. Both were made good by Gopher including labor with no hassle. Gopher's filure rate, last I knew was about 4%.
              Porchpiggy<br />\"To old and slow to run with the Bigpiggys\"<br />88 GW and 79 Suburban<br />GARY IS THE KING OF GENERAL D.

Comment

Working...
              X