• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhilG
    258 I6
    • Apr 27, 2006

71 Rhino Conversion

Well I did the famous rhino conversion to the 71 replacing the razor grille. Believe it or not, I haven't seen the trucks show, but I always loved the look of the rhino. . .Anyway, my vent covers had bullet holes in them so I cut them out and placed CJ lights in them. This also seems to be a popular conversion. I think I am going to ditch the amber bulb in the CJ lights and use tradiational bulbs and tie them to the high beam. Not sure how others are doing it. On mine, since the CJ lights are held in place with two screws, I used j type speed nuts for the holes on the cutout and used stainless 8-32 bolts. This way, when changing bulbs, I won't have sheet metal screws constantly cutting away at the hole. The faux vent cover material very flimsy and the speed nuts seem to work good. The stock holes for the vents were cut in such a way that without making tabs, I couldn't have gotten 4 screws all in metal if the louvers on the vent were running horizontal. Since this wasn't an issue, I rotated the covers counter-clockwise until all holes had sheet metal behind them. I then drilled and inset 8-32 rivets. I used stainless bolts with a washer and lockwasher. All four hole are secured well so it seems. I still have a few issues like relocating the hood release, filling some unused exposed factory holes, and working on the hood where it won't bump the top of the grille on a full slam. It does latch now, but isnt seated as I want it. Also, there are 4 metal tabs running horizontally across the bottom area that were used for the razor. I am not sure just yet what I want to do with those.
    Would appreciate any advice or comments. Anyway, here are before and after pics:

Before:

After:

1971 J2000
    In the sticks in Central Louisiana
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

Looks great! People seem to just cut the tabs off and grind smooth. Is that a factory paint code?
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• PhilG
      258 I6
      • Apr 27, 2006

Hey - thanks . .from what I was told, the guy I got it from repainted it 4 years ago and matched the original color from when his grandfather bought it new. Today I found a DupliColor spray paint at O'Reilly's that looks very very very close to this color . .they call it "Caymen Green" . .I am not sure what AMC called it . .but I do have receipts where he repainted in and the PPG code is in it . .just dont have it in front of me.

Phil
      1971 J2000

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

That looks great! Gladiators look so much better with the original grilles. Nice job.
        Thomas Russell
        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
        1971 Gladiator
        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• J10Mike
          Delightfully Incompetent
          • Jun 04, 2003

Sweet...Very Sweet.
          www.j10mike.com
          Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• 91G-Dub
            360 AMC
            • Aug 21, 2004

Originally posted by PhilG
            Well I did the famous rhino conversion to the 71 replacing the razor grille. Believe it or not, I haven't seen the trucks show, but I always loved the look of the rhino. . .Anyway, my vent covers had bullet holes in them so I cut them out and placed CJ lights in them. This also seems to be a popular conversion. I think I am going to ditch the amber bulb in the CJ lights and use tradiational bulbs and tie them to the high beam. Not sure how others are doing it. On mine, since the CJ lights are held in place with two screws, I used j type speed nuts for the holes on the cutout and used stainless 8-32 bolts. This way, when changing bulbs, I won't have sheet metal screws constantly cutting away at the hole. The faux vent cover material very flimsy and the speed nuts seem to work good. The stock holes for the vents were cut in such a way that without making tabs, I couldn't have gotten 4 screws all in metal if the louvers on the vent were running horizontal. Since this wasn't an issue, I rotated the covers counter-clockwise until all holes had sheet metal behind them. I then drilled and inset 8-32 rivets. I used stainless bolts with a washer and lockwasher. All four hole are secured well so it seems. I still have a few issues like relocating the hood release, filling some unused exposed factory holes, and working on the hood where it won't bump the top of the grille on a full slam. It does latch now, but isnt seated as I want it. Also, there are 4 metal tabs running horizontally across the bottom area that were used for the razor. I am not sure just yet what I want to do with those.
            Would appreciate any advice or comments. Anyway, here are before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Nice job!
            What are you doing with the razor?
            91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
            1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
            It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• PhilG
              258 I6
              • Apr 27, 2006

I got a friend with an 89 GW that says he is interested . .we looked at the conversion for him and he would need to come up with a few things . .and I am not 100% sure he will . .round light buckets being the biggest thing . but he also has a lot of extra tabs and things . .if he doesnt want it, I will shoot you a message and see if it interests you.

Phil
              1971 J2000

Comment

• PhilG
                258 I6
                • Apr 27, 2006

Paint COlor

The Cayman Green is a Ford Color I believe . .it is very close to mine . .but I think mine be this Meadow Green from a 71 chip chart:

1971 J2000

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by PhilG
                  Hey - thanks . .from what I was told, the guy I got it from repainted it 4 years ago and matched the original color from when his grandfather bought it new. Today I found a DupliColor spray paint at O'Reilly's that looks very very very close to this color . .they call it "Caymen Green" . .I am not sure what AMC called it . .but I do have receipts where he repainted in and the PPG code is in it . .just dont have it in front of me.

Phil
                  I'd be interested in that PPG code, if the original tag is on it you could find the original code on the passenger side of the firewall behind the hood hinge.
                  Is that the Jeep paint chips you posted?
                  *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                  ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• PhilG
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 27, 2006

I will try to get it in the morning . .the image above is AMC paint chips from 71 . .found on http://www.amxfiles.com/
                    1971 J2000

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

I think that was Spruce Tip Green before it went AMC, is your's metallic?

Comment

• PhilG
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 27, 2006

yeah . .not real heavy, but yes it is
                        1971 J2000

Comment

• Elliott
                          Cowboy Up
                          • Jun 22, 2002

A buddy of mine up in AK had a '65 J200 in that color, I thought it was great. Used to chase him through the trees in my J3000 and always wanted a shorty like his, maybe I'll use that color since it's more correct then the '80 Sherwood I was looking at. Classy look I think. (and I love PPG!)

Comment

• KaiserMan
                            I got the Willys....
                            • Jun 21, 2005

Sure does look like spruce tip metallic. Matches the color chip I have for 71 Jeeps.
                            Thomas Russell
                            1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                            1971 Gladiator
                            J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                            1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• PhilG
                              258 I6
                              • Apr 27, 2006

HEy . .this is what is in the receipt for the code . .I haven't looked it up . but pretty sure this is it:

PPG DBCSC 4716
                              1971 J2000

Comment

Working...
                              X