• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

200k On The Dodge

Had the valve cover off to adjust the valves.

I've always been impressed how clean the oil looks in this thing for a Diesel. The oil is cleaner looking after 7k than in my TDI's after 10 miles.

A guy on the TDI Forum claimed it was because the synthetic in the VW's cleans better than the conventional oil in the Dodge. Maybe, but if that were true I'd expect major buildup of crud in the engine. If it wasn't in the oil it had to be in the engine, right? Been looking forward to seeing how it looked inside.

After 200k running Valvoline Premium Blue changed every 5k:

A thin film in some areas that wipes off.

Granted, it's not as clean as my 350k TDI on Mobil 1 TDT that looks like new inside but it still isn't bad. Mineral oils have come a long way.

Going to switch to TDT and change every 10, maybe 15k. Be interesting to see if it cleans this up.
    Last edited by SJTD; 06-04-2016, 08:55 AM.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
  • Gulrok
    232 I6
    • May 12, 2016

Is putting a little bit of ATF in your oil something that you can do with diesels?

I know you can with regular gas engines and it is supposed to "clean" it. I've never done it but I've heard it is supposed to work.

---

Edit: Upon researching this, I found that it isn't recommended that despite ATF having as many or more detergents as engine oils.

But Seafoam is made to go into your oil, maybe try that for some extra cleaning in between oil changes. Maybe 100 or so miles with seafoam in the oil.

Edit Edit: Seems like ATF may swell seals and stop leaks. According to more google searches.
    Last edited by Gulrok; 06-05-2016, 10:48 AM.
    1983 Jeep J10, 8ft bed, Townside - 258cu - Weber 32/36 - Nuttered

So the mechanic said, "it looks like you blew a seal" and I said, "you leave my sexual preferences out of this".

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

I've heard that too that ATF has lotsa detergents and I've always thought it was bunk.

Detergents are there to remove contaminants from combustion products and keep them in the oil so they can be removed rather than accumulate in the engine.

Not much combustion going on in a transmission so why have detergents?

Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen any documentation from a lab or oil company proving it.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Gulrok
        232 I6
        • May 12, 2016

Ok.

Oil's that have "detergents" actually are dispersants. Detergent is just a marketing scheme to make people more interested.

But, despite that I think a low-viscosity oil may have a similar effect.

and it looks like ATF may swell seals and cause them to leak less...

I'm very skeptical about engine cleaners.
        1983 Jeep J10, 8ft bed, Townside - 258cu - Weber 32/36 - Nuttered

So the mechanic said, "it looks like you blew a seal" and I said, "you leave my sexual preferences out of this".

Comment

Working...
        X