• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPSwapMohn
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2004

Originally posted by El Jefe
    well me and my dad are gonna do it. My jeep is not being drivnin right now till i gets outta debt. But I'm all for trying it. Don't really understand everything behind it. Just if it works great, if not, oh well, ya know?
    So any progress with this?

The only thing I can think as viable in this is if a catalyst of some sort is added to the system to help drive the elctrolysis and the drag created by the alternator being continuously engaged is less than than the end benefit.

I think you could "recover" some energy that might otherwise be lost, and this may result in some improved mileage. I would have to understand exactly what effect H2 has on the A/F mixture and what ratios would have to be reached to see any effect on the combustion.

Also understand that a car alternator functions at about 60% efficiency at best.

I am extremely scheptical. That is my nature, but I would put more faith in it if I could see a set up and some legitimate data on improvements. The websites trying to get $50 or $100 from us for the "plans" don't offer a lot in the way of independent testing and empirical data.

I look forward to hearing of your progress
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
    50 CJ3A
    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• matt thompson
      232 I6
      • Sep 27, 2006

yes, perpetual motion has the same idea behind it. getting more energy out of something than you put in. The efficiency of using electrolysis to split the h20 molecule is only about 40% efficient at it's most. you would be using more energy splitting water molecules than you would get out of burning the HHO gas. Sorry to kill everyones (who had them) hopes. So you would actually make your "hybrid" less efficient. But if there is one good thing about high gas prices it is that we are all using our frontal lobes a little more.
      1988 grand wag-amc360, TF727, twin stick Dana 300, D44 front, 14bolt(10.5")
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=matt+thompson
      1995 wrangler YJ-stock so far
      1991 cummins 12valve flatbed

Comment

• stump_breaker
        232 I6
        • Jun 03, 2008

Well, I have had several people swear by an HHO generator so I built one myself, actually I bult two since the first on blew up.
        I insalled it on my Nissan Titan athough I never got a chance to drive the truck with the device due to the fact I built it from plastic and the engine warped the bottle and made the lid pop off.

I tried Sodium Bicarb for my electrolyte. It works but not as well as plain old salt. The most difficult part was getting the right amount or salt in the water to get the correct amperage draw. Anything over 15 amps is a waste IMO from my testing. The was not enough signiicant HHO production to justify the extra current draw. 5/16 all thread makes a great annode and cathode. Air tightness of your generator and bubbler (if you use one) is critical.

Anyway back to my truck. I simply ran a 1/4" line to the intake. Nothing special. I hooked the HHO generator up to a battery charger and at about 15-20 amps, it generated enough gas to cause the idle to fluctuate on my truck, much to my surprise since the Titan has such a big engine and this is such a small amount of gas. It was intriguing enough that I will be building another one and trying again.

Say it works, say it doesn't. People who have 'em swear by 'em.
        1974 J10 (I call it "bad dog" 'cause everytime it sits still, it leaves a puddle)
        2007 Shelby GT #117 (straight from Carrol's plant in Las Vegas)
        2008 Nissan Titan
        2003 Hyundai Sonata

Comment

• GWChris
          304 AMC
          • Jan 22, 2005

It cannot work, then energy has to come from somewhere. If you enjoy working on such projects, maybe a water injection system would be a more useful thing to make - mostly it just cools the combustion chambers. But it is possible you could replace the EGR system and run more advanced timing and actually improve the efficiency of the engine.

Comment

• cttandy
            258 I6
            • Apr 07, 2008

I love it, same people continue to talk about a perpetual motion machine. Perpetual motion has absolutely nothing to do with it. A perpetual motion machine, once started will continue to feed itself and not need any further input from anything. How can feeding a gasoline motor gasoline, or a diesel motor diesel, then suplimenting some else into the mixture be slightly even mis-construde as a perpetual motion machine.

All you are doing is the same effect of running a fuel additive in your vehicle. Only you are creating this additive with power that is already being made by your vehicle. So you are telling me your alternator doesn't run in your vehicle if this device isn't running in your vehicle. WRONG, it's still running and working away down there.

Everyone told Smokey Yunick what he did with the Feiro couldn't be done. He did it. People still claim the car isn't real, but it is. Don't shut down something that is new or different just because you lack understanding. And the fiero wasn't a Hydrogen car, but a very complicated setup that no one can still understand today. It was different, same thing we are dealing with here.
            SOLD - NO LONGER A FSJ OWNER
            http://tnfsj.org/
            87 GW- BUG (BIG UGLY GUZZLER)
            Edelbrock intake,Carter Competition Carb, mild cam, HEI Distributor, S-10 Steering box, 3 inch body lift, 3.5 inch AAL lift, GM truck shackles, 2 inch rear blocks, 33x12.50's

Comment

• GWChris
              304 AMC
              • Jan 22, 2005

The idea of getting more energy out than you put in is exactly the same concept as perpetual motion. In this case the concept is that the energy from gasoline will drive the engine, spin the alternator, generate electricity, electrolyze the water into hydrogen and oxygen - and that somehow after losing energy at every conversion when you burn that hydrogen back in the engine, you will come out ahead. Fantasy.

Comment

• J10_Jimbo
                327 Rambler
                • Nov 23, 2004

[quote=GWChris]You do not need a review to determine if it could work - basic physics says it cannot. quote]

Just wondering, if I don't understand the laws of physics, will I get a ticket for violating them?

Comment

• cajun_lad
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 17, 2006

I have in my hands a very extensive "how-to" instruction on building one of these HHO fuel cells. My supervisor bought it, and wants me to build it. From what I'm reading it seems feasible. These guys have done some homework. And if built right, the HHO generator acts more like a capacitor/battery than anything. Sure it's a small draw on the system at first, until it charges up, then it aids the system. I don't know, I have mixed feelings. But I will build it and test it and let you guys know the results. If it does work, than the only real conclusion I can come up with is that the auto industry does have its hands in the oil industry's pockets.
                  Joey
                  Jeep-Less

Comment

• pb
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 28, 2003

Originally posted by GWChris
                    The idea of getting more energy out than you put in is exactly the same concept as perpetual motion. ....
                    I think we all recognize that we are using energy to make a different form of energy. I think that many in this thread are debating the PE or Potential Energy of this transformation.

Is the PE of the hydrogen greater than the electricity produced by the already working alternator? Does hydrogen release greater energy than what was used to produce it?

I don't have a lab or facilities to answer this. I did find this "Hydrogen has the highest energy content of any common fuel by weight(about three times more than gasoline), but the lowest energy content by volume (about four times less than gasoline). It is the lightest element, and it is a gas at normal temperature and pressure." from here http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfa...eHydrogen.html

Anyway, whether this works or not, I don't know. It if does that would be sweet. If not it doesn't look like one would be out much for trying. I would like to hear from those on here that does try it for results.

Hey, if NASA uses liquid hydrogen as fuel for it's rockets & shuttles it has to be good right?
                    Paul
                    1975 Wagoneer DD
                    360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• backpack09
                      327 Rambler
                      • Nov 09, 2005

I have no idea if this is feasible or not.

But all of you saying that energy must come from somewhere must remember that your alternator is spinning away generating electricity no matter what, why not use a few of those watts for something?
                      Dan G
                      91 GrandWag
                      MSD Mag Dizzy, MSD 6A

Comment

• cajun_lad
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 17, 2006

And we're only talking 10-15 amps. Most subwoofer amplifiers draw that much if not more.
                        Joey
                        Jeep-Less

Comment

• olemisst
                          232 I6
                          • Dec 09, 2007

Other Sources other than the altenator

Using the Frontal Lobe:

So it seems like the biggest argument is the use of electric current from the altenator. What if that came from another source such as a solar panel on the roof or little wind turbines.

Would any of these options produce enough energy to split the water?
                          Travis '76 401 Cherokee S
                          Build Thread
                          Check Out The Pics

Comment

• cajun_lad
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by olemisst
                            Using the Frontal Lobe:

So it seems like the biggest argument is the use of electric current from the altenator. What if that came from another source such as a solar panel on the roof or little wind turbines.

Would any of these options produce enough energy to split the water?
                            any 12vdc 20 amp source would suffice, as long as it was regulated and didn't fluctuate too much.
                            Joey
                            Jeep-Less

Comment

• GWChris
                              304 AMC
                              • Jan 22, 2005

I give up - have fun guys. The world has been awash in so much energy for a couple of generations now, that we cannot even notice it now, and we've lost all perspective on how much energy it takes to move a 4500lb vehicle. I bet your great-grandfather would have had a much better feel for it. A couple of solar cells? A little hydrogen? Pffft - go out and push that thing yourself and then come back and tell me what good that is gonna do. Just pi$$ing in the ocean.
                              Last edited by GWChris; 06-17-2008, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• stump_breaker
                                232 I6
                                • Jun 03, 2008

A lot of opinions from people have not actually tried it. It's not perpetual motion or (more accurately) over unity, in fact it's an inefficent process. You lose energy to heat plain and simple. I also didn't say it works. I said it generated enough to cause a fluctuation at idle on a v-8 engine.

Besides this is simple high school chemistry. No need to buy books or plans or anything like that.

You have an annode, cathode, conductive electrolyte and dc energy. It excites the water molecules and splits them into their molecular forms. It's supposed to supplement combustion not replace it.

Try it. At the very least it's good for a loud pop when you capture the gas in a bag and stick a lighter to it.
                                1974 J10 (I call it "bad dog" 'cause everytime it sits still, it leaves a puddle)
                                2007 Shelby GT #117 (straight from Carrol's plant in Las Vegas)
                                2008 Nissan Titan
                                2003 Hyundai Sonata

Comment

Working...
                                X