Cherokee 6.0 Vortec project Germany - many pics!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vintagetrks
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Andro
    Not to answer without explanation. Here in Germany Diesel always used to be about 20% cheaper than gas. This and the fact that you get better mileage where the key for being Diesel so successful over here - if there weren't our nice government. All of us had to pay tax for every single car based on engine size. Then with catalytic converters these cars paid less tax. Then, a couple of years ago they decided that Diesel engines have bad emissions, so they changed the system. For modern Diesel engines they have a particle filter which reduces emissions on one hand and tax on the other. In the first run only for german cars which is a big time joke because the french manufacturer Peugeot introduced the first filter of its kind and they didn't get the lower tax.
    Now, since July this year all engines are based on engine size and emissions to figure out how much tax has to be paid. With the US diesel engines like a cummins you almost can not afford to drive a car like this.
    So the only affordable way to drive a big sized engine is to get the fuel injected ones and convert them to a gas/propane hybrid.
    Carburetted gas engines don't pass emission testing so they are almost not affordable as well.

To give you an idea of what kind of numbers I talk about here are examples:

5.9 AMC engine:
    Tax per year = $1,314.00 - gas = $7.85 per gallon

6.0L Vortec engine:
    Tax per year = $597.00 - gas = $7.85 per gallon / propane = $3.35 per gallon

6.0L Diesel engine without diesel particle filter
    Tax per year = $2,225.00 - diesel = $6.19 per gallon

You guys don't know how lucky you are regarding that stuff...
    I did'nt realize the restrictions were so tight over there. That sucks. I can't imagine paying $7.85 a gallon for gas. Thats gotta bite.
    I can't wait to see the finished pics of your rig it's gonna be awesome.
    New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
    My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
    90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• thechier86
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 16, 2009

any news? i got your motor running, and it had some oiling issues after a week or 2, so i dropped it off at the shop a couple days ago for a complete rebuild, including some performance goodies this will be my christmas gift from my parents, since i could never afford such a project until i get out of college. i am still grateful for what you gave, me, though. you motor is in better shape than my old one, so i have a good one to rebuild.
      buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• Andro
        232 I6
        • Sep 30, 2008

Good to hear the motor is running and you getting it rebuild

I'm not so lucky as I am still waiting for my Jeep to be completed. From what I know the motor needs some new parts as alternator and water pump and some others, than the motor is ready to run. New exhaust system needs to be build, drive shafts need work to fit in. Finally the paint job needs to be finished. I set a deadline for 2 more weeks maximum. I want to have it here in Germany by christmas as a christmas present for my self. After all it took one and a half years to get this thing done...

I didn't receive any pics since I was there, but will post pics if I get some.
        Andy in Germany
        83 Cherokee Laredo for over 9 years for uncompleted restoration and GEN III swap in Charleston, SC
        Then for about 1.5 years in Pennsylvania to complete restoration and finally landed in Germany end of August 2017
        Link to project

Comment

• thechier86
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 16, 2009

well the guy still has my jeep, what's up with yours? the guy says he'll be done with mine around the end of january, so it's turning into my birthday present.... i'm really starting to get excited about it, and my friend gave me a locker for the rear axle, so when i get it all together, she'll be a nice rig!
          buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• Andro
            232 I6
            • Sep 30, 2008

Not much happened the past months and these are the last pics I got back in december. Right now I'm waiting for the final paint job (for 5 months already). All things below the chassis are ready to go, drive train is ready, all the interior is ready. Just the paint job is needed, putting chassis back to the frame, install the interior, hook up everything and first test drive can be done. I hope this will happen end of this month, but time told me I'm always wrong. It all takes much longer than expected. Almost 2 years now...

Andy in Germany
            83 Cherokee Laredo for over 9 years for uncompleted restoration and GEN III swap in Charleston, SC
            Then for about 1.5 years in Pennsylvania to complete restoration and finally landed in Germany end of August 2017
            Link to project

Comment

• Andro
              232 I6
              • Sep 30, 2008

This is, I think, the pre owners thread:

Hi all, new to the forum, quick story... just purchased a 1983 Jeep WT, 360/727, selec-trac. Drove four hours, one way, to go look at jeep, only pictures that I had were over the cell phone. Seller seemed like a nice guy so I bought it and drove it four hours back. Turned out that the jeep is in pretty good shape. Slight
              Andy in Germany
              Link to project

Comment

• thomastenn
                232 I6
                • Jun 30, 2008

what headers r those?
                looking to initiate project j715

Comment

• Andro
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 30, 2008

Originally posted by thomastenn
                  what headers r those?
                  Doug Thorley stainless headers
                  Andy in Germany
                  Link to project

Comment

• thomastenn
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 30, 2008

ok i should of asked what application are they for lol
                    looking to initiate project j715

Comment

• Wooky1
                      230 Tornado
                      • Apr 08, 2007

I agree, what application? I had heard the stock truck manifold on the drivers side does not fit well and guys use Camaro manifolds. It would be sweet if some headers fit. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Andro
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 30, 2008

Originally posted by thomastenn
                        ok i should of asked what application are they for lol
                        Doug Thorley Headers with EGR Fittings
                        Style: Ceramic Coating
                        SKU: 3360347
                        Vehicle: 2002 GMC Sierra 6.0L V8

There is some body work needed to make them fit. Also the exhaust system needs to be all custom made to make it fit.
                        Andy in Germany
                        Link to project

Comment

• Lindel
                          Perfesser of Jeepology
                          • Jun 15, 2000

It looks good so far Andro.
                          Jeep Grounds
                          RRV Homepage
                          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                          1987 Grand Wagoneer
                          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                          1999 Wrangler Sport
                          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• pacman
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 18, 2010

Any updates on this? Did you get your Jeep home to Germany?

Comment

• shagwagon13
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 15, 2010

Awesome thread. you germans really do stuff right over there. I feel this is a little taste of the vwvortex.com i usually call home. keep it up
                              I'm Matt, and I like to party.

The Hoop: '79 Jeep Wagoneer, 'Kenny'.. we're getting along just fine.

Comment

• falmen
                                232 I6
                                • Mar 08, 2010

Andor, any updates on this project? I was just checking my thread subscriptions and this was one of my favorites.
                                I really need to attend AA (Automotive Anonymous) meetings to help with my addiction. Wanna join?
                                1973 Wagoneer Custom, TBI 350, 700R4

Comment

Working...
                                X