X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty
    • Jun 12, 2000

"lincoln locking" a 14 bolt carier

now,ive welded several carries,so know what i need to do however,as those of us running a 14bolt know,the case halves of the carrier bolt together,making the 4 spider and 2 side gears pretty inacessable.

what seems logical is to weld the 2 side gears to the 4 spider gears very solidly,so that the whole thing will slide out of the 2 case halves. my only concern is getting it all just right so that it goes back together.

ive seen some guys fill in the teeth of the spiders,so that they simply cant turn.im starting with a carrier that has a broken cross,so this isnt really an option.i want to make that sucker 1 solid chunk

just wonderin how those of ya running a welded 14 bolt accomplished it [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ September 25, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: scotty ]
    scotty
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
    38" TSL SXs
    chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\
  • FSJeeper
    King of Unfinished Projects
    • May 20, 2000

Here you go Scotty, every thing you need to know about it.

In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• scotty
      • Jun 12, 2000

my cross shaft is broken,so that way is not really an option. id have to start with a good open carrier if i wanted to do the fill-in-the-teeth method,but i dont want to goof up my good open carrier.

even if i had an extra open carrier,i dont like the idea of the gears being able to move alittle. prolly puts alot more stress on the cross shaft and spiders. im too afraid the play could cause shockloads that would snap the cross shaft,or shatter ths spiders.

i want it to be one big solid chunk of non-moving metal inside the carrier
      scotty
      85 grand wagoneer
      38" TSL SXs
      chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• blt2krl
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Apr 03, 2001

Hey Scotty have ya searched POR. They have a few great how to's in the BB archives. I know some of them bag on the K5 method. I haven't welded mine yet and am actually leaning toward the detroit.
        Paul Hartman
        79 waggoneer
        AMC360/TH-400/203/205
        DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
        39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
        www.cbioffroadfab.com
        WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• robselina
          304 AMC
          • Feb 26, 2003

scotty, just intuitively speaking, I'd say try to weld it all together well enough so it doesn't move before disassembling the carrier halves to get a better pass. You can always do the trick where you mash in a couple of bolts and weld them in there too, for a little added resistance.

As far as filling in between the teeth of the spider gears, as far as I know, this for front gears only. Some people complain that when welding the front spider gears to the carrier, they can have trouble getting their hubs to disengage. I guess having a little play from the gears not being welded to each other or the carrier helps. That being said, my front gears on the CJ are welded to each other and the carrier and I haven't had any problems with it.
          Rob

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

you broke a 14FF cross shaft?!

Comment

• scotty
              • Jun 12, 2000

rselina,that is the method i use as well for conventional open carriers-weld the gears to one another and the carrier. this 14 bolt carrier,is however,a different animal. there are not any accessholes big enuff to get the torch inthere and tackthe gears together and pull it apart. trust me,if it were that easy,i wouldnt be asking for tips

im thinking maybe i can gently pull one half,tack the gears,put the half back on,flip it over,poull the other half,tack the other gears,make sure it still bolts together,then pull it apart and finish welding.

i will do a search on pirate and see what any of them have to say.

stuka,no i havent broken a 14 bolt cross shaft. we picked up 2 14 bolts awhile back for $50 apiece,and this carrier came from one of them. not sure what happened to it. funny thing is the wayt the 14 bolt is set up,all the spiders could still turn,and a person could have been driving as truck with the broken carrier for who knows how long and not even known something was wrong

i have this notion that i want to swap my steering brakes to the front,and weld the rear and see how i like that setp. i want to use this broken carrier to weld so its no biggie if i dont like it i can swap my good one back in.

thanx for the responses thus far,keep em comin [img]smile.gif[/img]
              scotty
              85 grand wagoneer
              38" TSL SXs
              chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• scotty
                • Jun 12, 2000

found this on pirate,this is how im gonna do it:
                http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161891&highlight=14+bol t+ and+weld

basically make the spider and side gears into a minispool

thot id share it with yas [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ September 26, 2003, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: scotty ]
                scotty
                85 grand wagoneer
                38" TSL SXs
                chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• blt2krl
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Apr 03, 2001

That is the article I was think off. I agree it looks like the best way to weld it together.
                  Paul Hartman
                  79 waggoneer
                  AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                  DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                  39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                  www.cbioffroadfab.com
                  WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Gwamp
                    High Tech Redneck
                    • Mar 08, 2002

Let us know how it goes as I am considering doing this to the 14 bolt in my basement.
                    Roll up on you like Eastwood...

Comment

• Stolen76
                      350 Buick
                      • Dec 13, 2001

while you guys are hangin around this thread... anyone have the link to the write up on the D44 lincoln locker ? there was a guy here that did a great write up on it and I lost it with a computer crash.
                      76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

irbob welded up his AMC20 and it was the technique that's used. it should be in his sig if you look him up. welding a 44 ain't squat a monkey can do it. that should give you plenty of condfidence.
                        Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                        I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                        Originally posted by johnny019
                        I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Dec 28, 2002

FSJ jeeper is that for real?? dont you think thats a weal way of welding the diff, amn i would never do it like that
                          AMC/Jeep Forum
                          Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                          ///
                          "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Dec 28, 2002

i dunno man, that puts all the stress on one tooth
                            AMC/Jeep Forum
                            ///

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Dec 28, 2002

how i do it is to weld the spiders together and then the spiders to the diff case
                              AMC/Jeep Forum
                              ///

Comment

Working...
                              X