International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Master Mechanic

i think i have a design for a spare tire carrier but i want some opinions. can i attach it to the side of the tow hitch? i was thinking i could make the attach point into the side of square tube the runs the width of the bumper. i saw a homemade piece like this on an old wag. it was not used for a spare, i have no idea what it was used for. basically can the tow hitch support the weight of the carrier and tire?

benjamin

[ March 17, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: kreb ]
4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
"if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall
Old 03-17-2004, 01:57 PM

The hitch should easily support that much weight. If it wouldn't I definitely would not tow anything with it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
1982 Wag Ltd,4\" BJ\'s lift,DPA,Pro-comp Shocks,32x11.5 on slot wheels,HEI,Aussie Locker in rear<br />1995 LT1 Camaro Z28 full roller ,LT4 Hotcam,Headers, SLP induction etc<br />1980 W/T Cherokee stock/ may part out
Old 03-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Gear Head

Good point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Master Mechanic

i figured it would. i just was not sure if there would be any damage to the side plates with a force put on it that was not intended to be there.

what gauge of square tubing would be the best? i don't want it to be too heavy

thanks

benjamin
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
"if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall
Old 03-17-2004, 03:55 PM
FSJ Maniac

Kreb...I have seen many attachments to receiver hitches and your ideas are good ones. Your own imagination will set you free. Once you start welding it is hard to stop.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:53 PM

What about a carrier that slides into the receiver like a bike rack but is hinged to drop down for tailgate access?

I have a hitch hauler that is hinged like that and it is easy to flip up and down. (weighs 40-50lbs)

You could even spring load the pin so that you release it with your foot while holding onto the tire................ [img]smile.gif[/img]
1982 Wag Ltd,4\" BJ\'s lift,DPA,Pro-comp Shocks,32x11.5 on slot wheels,HEI,Aussie Locker in rear<br />1995 LT1 Camaro Z28 full roller ,LT4 Hotcam,Headers, SLP induction etc<br />1980 W/T Cherokee stock/ may part out
Old 03-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

You might want to consider a trailer hub spindle as the rotating mechanism.

I have seen these work out pretty well on bumpers.
Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
Old 03-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Master Mechanic

bigrob

that is pretty much what i am talking about. except mine was going to be installed on the side of the trailer hitch because there is a open ended square tube. this will be bolted no or i will customize the side to accept the tube in the regular manner

joe

what is the hub you are talking about? can you link me to a picture? thanks

benjamin
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
Old 03-18-2004, 01:38 PM

I would be leary of using the trailer spindle. In my business, I have built almost sixty tire carriers now for various vehicles. When I first started, I used a spindle and hub from a trailer axle. The spindle was nearly 1" in diameter. Everything was great until the spindles started shearing at the base from fatigue fracture due to the small amount of repetitive vibrating from the elasticity of the steel. I mounted these very rigidly to reduce the vibration but it continued to happen. The problem is that the spindle is cast then turned. Cast metal is strong but brittle. I changed to a cold rolled steel bar and make my own spindles now. No problems. If you do go with a trailer spindle, make sure you have some way of securing the top of the tire as well. my two cents
I have a Jeep....or two