International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-29-2003, 03:35 PM

Any boby ever replaced them, made new ones. What did you use? Mine are about gone And have been thinking about what to replace them with....
Old 11-29-2003, 03:44 PM

I was inspired a few months ago by some pictures of a cargo area re-finished all in wood. It looked sharp. I am considering going this route for my sides and tail gate complete with wooden tailgate trim at the top (vice that plastic piece that always breaks). I will more than likely rhino-line the floor behind the back seat. something sturdy that's easy to clean. No more carpet.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:18 PM
FSJ Maniac

I redid mine with a thin fiber board covered with schorpion linning which is an off-shoot of rhyno linning. Needless to say I was very dissapointed at how noisy it was without the carpet.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:22 PM
FSJ Maniac

I'm in the process of using 1/16" diamond plate aluminum. I used 1/8" on the tailgate. I was going to redo all interior panels with diamond plate but one day I stood on my tailgate and in about 30 seconds I was cooking like a hot dog on a grill. Interior is hot enough without becoming a solar cooker. Still might do it with d-plate but I'll need to paint them some non reflective color.
1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Old 11-29-2003, 04:56 PM

On the government models of the FSJs, they were very stripped down. Instead of the fiberboard panels, they just had sheetmetal screwed in place where the panels normally are. I used a set of these (pretty easy to make as well) and rivited the fiberboard panels to the metal plates and then screwed the metal plates onto the body. Still looks factory and makes it a lot stronger without the fiberboard coming apart.

Another tip I learned a long time ago is to shoot the rear open spaces behind the panels with expanding spray foam (like the type you use on a house). It quiets it down a bunch, and prevents any water from sitting in there to rust out. I shot one completely full, and I shot one with 2 drain tubes installed on each side to allow any water from the side glass (Cherokee Chief)that may leak in to drain out. Have been using for about 7 years with no problems.

Eric. (aka Miltrucks)
www.MilitaryOffroad.com
Old 11-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Grease Monkey

I pulled off all the panels and carpeting, and took a trip to the lumber yard. I used the old panels as templates and cut a new set of panels for each side and a new tailgate from a nice sheet of 4x8 wood. Do not recollect which kind but after three coats of polyurethane it looks great...

I also replaced the storage compartment with a 12" subwoofer cut into the new panel that just fits, and wow what great sound quality, better than expected...

The back looks great like that without carpeting on the floor or the wheel wells..
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 3:31 - MSD 6A - TFI upgrade - blaster coil - K&N Air filter - Optima yellow top - 8.5mm plug wires - Skyjacker 4" lift system with hydro shocks - tadrack - Removable Grant mahogony steering wheel - Bridgestone Dueller revo 31x10.5x15 - Wood paneling in cargo area.

http://www.studiobeylerian.com
Old 11-29-2003, 08:24 PM

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Do any of you guys have pictures of your homemade panels? Please post them if you do. Will probably go the wood route because it would seem to be the easiest.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:04 AM
350 Buick

I used thin 1/8 plywood, covered them with carpet then used finish srews to put them back in place. So far so good.

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*
Old 11-30-2003, 12:31 AM
304 AMC

How about using something like this between the floor/side/gate and the finished surface?
Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "
Old 11-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Grease Monkey

I used the old for a template, and traced onto fiberboard...like pegboard without the holes. Bought a 2x4 sheet at Lowes for a few bucks. 1 sheet will do both sides. Then I scuffed it up, used 3M interior adhesive and glued vinyl over it. It was the same vinyl I used on the headliner. 5.00 a yard from Hancock Fabrics. Looks real good. I am also cutting two more and covering them with Durabak when I coat my floors so it will match. Dont know which one I will use yet. Good luck.
1979 Cherokee Chief sold!
I may be getting the fever again though!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Master Mechanic

1/4 inch plywood and padded vinyl that u get at a sewing supplie store worked great for me, i then used industrial velcro to hold it on, works wonderful
Old 12-01-2003, 12:16 AM

I also used the 1/4 inch fiberboard. I stained it to keep the water from soaking in. I had planned on covering it with some material, but after it was stained it looked pretty good...so I just left it alone. I had all of my interior panels done this way. I used the original panels as templates, it was surprisingly easy.

Bryan
Old 12-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Grease Monkey

Now here is something that BJ's should make, along with the kick panels where the fresh air vents are.

Craig