• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcoutts
    304 AMC
    • Jun 28, 2002

Brake hardware for '67 J3000 dually

In my quest for parts for the rear brakes on the dually I have found shoes and wheel cylinders but still need drums, seals and hardware kits. I've been searching on the net but nothing yet. Any suggestions will help keep the 'ol girl on the road and safe!
    Jim C
    '67 J3000 Dually
    '86 J20
    '79 CJ5(in pieces)
    '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
    Correction- it just needed a water pump!
  • Ford
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 15, 2009

Do you have any part numbers? anything at all may help me locate what you need.

There is a local place here that has alot of NOS parts that are in buildings that are falling down, but I am sure there are 100 of everything that you need...just finding them.

let me know and I will see what I can do.

Ford
    Yeah Yeah, Ford...

Its my last name, now leave me alone I can not help it I was not born a Jeep

Comment

• jpcoutts
      304 AMC
      • Jun 28, 2002

I should be able to get part #'s shortly. Another member has offered to look them up and I have bought a parts book, but haven't received it yet. I'll send the numbers to you as soon as I get them.

Thanks,
      Jim
      Jim C
      '67 J3000 Dually
      '86 J20
      '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

From Page 247-248

The rear drums are # 943518
        The gasket, drum to hub is # 943997
        The seal is # 918405
        The gasket, axle shaft to drive flange is # 918410

Brake assemblies are on page 222 but I'm not exactly sure what they are describing.
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Tornado230
          350 Buick
          • Sep 14, 2008

Didn't reply when you stated you obtained the parts book.
          Obviously in transit.
          Part # for rear drum is 919657, as per parts books issued June, 1967, and November, 1968.
          Also lists part # 943518 as an option.
          Hub and drum numbers are not the same in both books.

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Good catch.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• jpcoutts
              304 AMC
              • Jun 28, 2002

So what do you suppose might be the difference between 943518 and 919657? My drums are 13" dia. and shoes are 13" X2.5" . Is there a listing for the adjuster parts, springs, linkages, etc.? I hope to be able to look it up myself soon, but I'm curious about the smaller pieces. Haven't found anybody with a listing for those yet.
              Jim C
              '67 J3000 Dually
              '86 J20
              '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Tornado230
                350 Buick
                • Sep 14, 2008

According to the parts book, the difference is the drum is from another vendor. Therefore, there should be only a visual difference, the fit should be the same.

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by jpcoutts
                  So what do you suppose might be the difference between 943518 and 919657? My drums are 13" dia. and shoes are 13" X2.5" . Is there a listing for the adjuster parts, springs, linkages, etc.? I hope to be able to look it up myself soon, but I'm curious about the smaller pieces. Haven't found anybody with a listing for those yet.
                  I couln't sort out the small bits from the other axles Jim... possibly it uses the same adjusters and springs...

Comment

• jpcoutts
                    304 AMC
                    • Jun 28, 2002

Thanks guys! I'll compare the numbers and other info to the other information I have and can get and see what I come up with. The help available here never ceases to amaze me! I may also check on some of the other truck sites since the D70 was used in a lot of trucks/duallies of that era.
                    Jim C
                    '67 J3000 Dually
                    '86 J20
                    '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

Have you been on the M715 zone at all? If you need drums I'm sure they can help you source some and I wouldn't say NOS is out of the question.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                        304 AMC
                        • Jun 28, 2002

I was browsing over there after my last post! As I learned from you, that site is a great resource due to common parts. I haven't been able to cross any part numbers yet, but I haven't given up. I have checked with a couple of places that stock parts for the M715 and found drums for them however due to the outboard mounting of the drums on an M715 I don't think they will help me. the local napa jobber ran out of options and asked for the factory part # hence my need for a parts manual. After learning of the differences between the D70 's on Jtrucks and M715's I'm hoping I don't have to go that far.

Originally posted by Elliott
                        Have you been on the M715 zone at all? If you need drums I'm sure they can help you source some and I wouldn't say NOS is out of the question.
                        Jim C
                        '67 J3000 Dually
                        '86 J20
                        '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Tornado230
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 14, 2008

I checked the 1986 NAPA brake master catalog.
                          No drums listed then, so it doesn't look good.
                          I can suggest you try the Obsolete Jeep Parts place in Bradenton, Florida.
                          Another try would be Bennett Hill Services.
                          Either one may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Dana has all the numbers if you can get ahold of somebody who knows there stuff and will take the time. The late "Drover" Dennis ran an operation in Australia and had a rep he used and sourced all the part numbers for stuff that most of us couldn't obtain. The data and a lot of the parts are still available, Dennis is the one who sorted out the pinion offset differences, between the M715 and the Jeep dually, for me. Look up parts sources at the zone for drums.

Comment

• Elliott
                              Cowboy Up
                              • Jun 22, 2002

Hmm, guess I was sitting right next to a M715 parts list here... didn't know I had that one. On the M715 it lists the hub with the drum for the rear and there are different part numbers for each side.
                              Left Rear Assembly = 65909-946003
                              Right Rear Assembly = 65909-946004

There is a break down of parts beyond the shoes. I can scan that if you want but there is no diagram for the brake bits, only descriptions.

Ah, now I have a schematic also. I'll scan these for you and post them here...
                              Last edited by Elliott; 08-03-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X