Edelbrock heads
    Comp Cams cam 10-203-4 also known as the 270H-10
    10.6 to 1 compression
    MSD DIST.
    Holley Sniper EFI
    Long tube headers
    Melodon deep sump oil pan
    Edelbrock Air Gap Intake

Anyone have any idea what could be expected out of this setup. I'am looking for 375 HP. but not sure if that is realistic or not. I see a few guys on here with a lot of experience building these engines. Also,DAMN THESE THINGS ARE NOT CHEAP TO BUILD.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

you should be in the neighborhood

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

Page 1 (JC401) similar build with maybe a hotter cam.

The first one up is #60. 67RogueXCode: 343 block, 360 crank. Bore: 4.125 Stroke: 3.44 CID: 367.78 Heads: 1986 360 Dog Leg. C.R. 9.47:1 compression ratio Intake: Eddy Performer
      Last edited by SC/397; 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM.
      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
          Also,DAMN THESE THINGS ARE NOT CHEAP TO BUILD.
          No kidding! i'm $1300 into my machine shop and haven't even dropped my heads off yet. I can only imagine what you've spent!
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Here is my bill from the machine shop, I don't have a break down of what any of the services or parts cost, just a total. The only thing on the bill that i purchased was the ARP rod bolts. All other parts are included in the total.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

Al is at the end of his career, he is still doing machine work, building engines and has a nice Dyno room he uses weekly. It's just him now and he does what he wants when he wants. I don't think he has a date when he will retire, but he is pushing 70 so we will see. My dad sold Al's dad SNAP-ON-TOOLS back in the seventies and I have been seeing Al at the race track since I was a ten year old kid. He moved his shop down the street from my restaurant about 19 years ago and we hit it off talking about my dad and his dad and of course racing, whenever he would eat at the restaurant.(which was 3 to 5 days a week) Glad he helped me with this engine.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Here is the total.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 15, 2010

your getting off cheap, good machine work is not cheap

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                    your getting off cheap, good machine work is not cheap
                    Concur!!!
                    I am $1295 for machine work alone (clean/hot tank block, bore/hone, balance, polish, install rods on pistons, blueprint rods, ARP rod blots, install cam bearings, and freeze plugs). Notice my machine shop did not provide any hardware in that list and I am not decking my block either. I provided the cam bearings ($35), main bearings ($60), rod bearings ($80), pistons/pins/rings ($400). I also still have to buy my cam/timing set/lifters/valve springs ($335) gaskets ($50), etc. So my short will be significantly more than yours. You will have higher compression, I will be balanced and have a milder cam.

As a wise man once said: DAMN THESE THINGS ARE NOT CHEAP TO BUILD.
                    Then again, even if this was a small block chevy (cheapest V8 I can think of to build), it would only be, maybe $200 less.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SC/397
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 01, 2010

The machining costs to rebuild a engine is the same regardless of brand.
                      As far as parts go, to compare costs of a sbf or sbc to a AMC engine will never be accurate due to volume alone. The better comparison would to cost parts against a Pontiac or Buick engine of the same years.
                      I am just thankful that we can get more parts for the AMC engines now than we could 30 years ago.
                      BTW - I just paid my machinist $1,500.00 for all of the machine work on a 390 which is very reasonable for all of the work that he did.
                      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• gpcl16
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 02, 2016

If y'all think AMC engines are expensive to build, try building an International V8. I'm doing some side work and re-building a 392 for a friend right now and just picked up everything from the machine shop. Parts and labor were $3,500 . and that's not including a bunch of other parts I've needed to track down. All told this thing is gonna cost my friend about $5,200 just in parts and machine shop labor. Thats not including the labor I'm charging to R+R the engine and do the actual engine build.

I was also involved in a Buick Nailhead build many years ago working at a shop that was just insane. I think the customer spent over $10,000

On the other end of the spectrum, I built my 360 4 years ago for under $1,500, but I had access to an engine machine shop at the time and did all the machine work (bore, hone, pistons, valve grind, etc) except turning the crank myself.
                        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        4" BDS Suspension Lift
                        Tru-Trac Rear
                        Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

Working...
                        X