X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerk
    • Apr 18, 2024

"an exhaust system can also be too efficient."

I am quoting directly from page 50 of Edelbrock's "The Great Manifold Bolt-On!" , published in1982, ISBN No. 0-9608740-0-3.
    The chapter is entitled "Exhaust Systems: Understanding & Selecting" I am going to quote paragraphs in the direct order that they appear in the book, relating to the subject of exhaust and back pressure as it relates to the ongoing debate, (This is uncut, unedited)...
    " An exhaust system can be "too efficient." By this we mean that during the period of camshaft overlap(discussed in a previous chapter), there is direct communication from induction system inlet to exhaust system exit. It was stated that the intake system could "see" the exhaust system at this particular point in time. Near the end of the overlap period as exhaust gas continues to pass out of the exhaust system, incoming fresh air/fuel mixtures can be drawn directly through the engine, unburned. This is mixture that could have remained in the engine for the production of heat (power) but did not because of an OVERLY EFFICIENT EXHAUST SYSTEM. (emphasis by me) If we were to assume that by the creation of back-pressure (resistance of exhaust gas flow out of the engine) raw fuel would not be passed from the engine during overlap, then back pressure can be detrimental to good engine performance and economy. (I'm not sure that makes sense entirely, considering the context -Matt)
    For example, as engine rpm increases, some practical limit to the amount of exhaust gas a given system can handle is reached. At this point, resistance to exhaust gas flow through the system can build rapidly. Subsequent increase in engine rpm will cause pressure at the exhaust ports to be sufficiently high as to reduce the volume of exhaust gas ABLE (emphasis -theirs) to pass from the engine's cylinders. Resulting residual exhaust gas in the cylenders will then mix with fresh incoming air and fuel, thereby causing dilution and reduction of net combustion temperature. this cooling effect can be related to the fact that less burnable mixture gets into a cylinder partially filled with exhaust gas from excessive back pressure. The results are often measured in lost power and economy. Part throttle operation of an engine doesn't recognize back pressure as significantly as near or wide-open-throttle operation simply because of reduced net air flow through the engine at the smaller throttle openings. But the condition exists anyway.
    This is also why the installation of street-driven headers may or may not show noticeable gains in engine performance at lower ranges of RPM. But as air flow through the engine increase, the tendancy for headers to reduce back pressure improves. then the benefits become more evident.
    As mentioned briefly in an earlier chapter, such pressure conditions in an engine's exhaust system can be "read" by the induction system. REDUCED BACK-PRESSURE (emph.- me) tends to lower actual cylinder pressure at the time incoming air/fuel mixtures first enter a cylinder. Less exhaust gas is present at this time, allowing for an attending increase in the amount of fresh mixture in the cylinder at the time of combustion. "

Now this makes a couple points we have been debating; 1- headers don't really show a great deal of flow improvement at low rpm, but will still make some difference. 2- back pressure increases as rpm increases, if you have Little BP at low rpm, you will have MORE BP at higher rpm. this directly affects the amount of air/fuel allowed into the cylenders during valve overlap to be combusted at the compression/power stroke.. This also brings up the point of cam choice, less restrictive exhaust is way more noticeable on high overlap or long duration cammed engines than on short duration, short overlap cammed engines. 3- NO WHERE does it say back pressure makes low rpm torque! Not once. it simply stated - some BP blocks fuel/air mixture from being pulled into and then out of the cylinder during valve overlap at the intake/compression phase of piston movement. with a moderate cam, this only happens at VERY low rpm and with an overly efficient exhaust system. UNFORTUNATELY, they don't specify how effecient or what rpm or how much of an effect the raw fuel in the exhaust sytem there is and for how long. this possibly/probably just results in stinky, rich exhaust and black smoke when punched off-idle. Valve overlap (and other cam specs)is set up to allow the maximum air/fuel to be sucked through the intake system and into the cylinder to be burned at a certain rpm. since the air is not sped up by anything at high rpms, the cam must be setup to take advantage of atmopheric pressure as well as the down force of the piston to fill the cylinders at high rpm. since we don't use blowers, or variable valve timing, we are stuck with cams that work well at a given rpm range. tune the engine for low rpm or high rpm or a compromise of both. if you wanna run at highway speeds and you don't like slowing down going up steep hills at 65 to 75 mph, hauling the old bass boat, then mid to high rpm cams are the way to go. But then low rpm efficiency suffers.

This isn't mentioned in the quoted text, but is mentioned later in the same chapter- most Naturally Aspirated V8 engines are lucky to see 80% volumetric efficiency at 3000 to 4000 rpm. You can alter this by tuning your intake system AWAY from your exhaust system. This means, basically,- If you want all your power below 2000 rpm and nothing at 3000, then run a dinky carb , dinky cam, lowrise duel plane ,and dinky pipes... and idle every where. if you want to make power below 2000 and above 2000 into the 3000 to 4000 rpm range, go with a small to medium(small primaries and large secondaries) carb, decent mid range (idle to 4500 rpm) cam, highrise duel plane, and larger exhaust. if you want virtually no power below 3000 rpm but tons above and into 7000 rpm, go with a highrise single plane mainfold, large cam(300to 330* duration, large overlap cam, large carb, and larger exhaust.

A final note: If you run duel pipes and want better throttle response and low rpm power you can try to fit H or X pipe under the rig, preferably close to the collectors. If you decide single is for you and you like highway speeds AND low rpm power, run single 3" pipe and easy breathing muffs and cat.
    -Matt W
    Sorry for all the shouting and such, but it really isn't like everyone says- you don't make power with restrictive exhaust at low rpm. you just don't notice it the engine gagging on spent exhaust fumes during the start of the intake stroke at low rpm. you do however, allow more power at mid to high rpm with open exhaust.
  • Damage, Inc.
    350 Buick
    • Jul 08, 2002

"You can alter this by tuning your intake system AWAY from your exhaust system. This means, basically,- If you want all your power below 2000 rpm and nothing at 3000, then run a dinky carb , dinky cam, lowrise duel plane ,and dinky pipes... and idle every where."

Exactly what everyone has been trying to tell you. Thanks.
    74 Cherokee

Comment

BINGO!!!!!

Damage Inc... I couldn't have said it better...oh wait... Matt W said it and you quoted him

Thanks for your understanding ....
      Todd
      www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Panoscopic
        350 Buick
        • Jan 24, 2001

Matt has learned a lot from this board!
        Jeepless....now and for the foreseeable future

Comment

• Don S
          • Feb 06, 2002

Originally posted by Matt W:
          [QB]and easy breathing muffs and cat.
          -Matt WQB]
          Wonder if Gwamps is going to pay attention to this… Hummmm…. startling fact…..
          CUL... ds..
          ----------------------------------------------
          76 406 QT TruTrac 2"lift 31x10.50s been over 261 Colorado MTN Passes since '85-BRC#30093 http://www.sharetrails.org/ –Join and save your Trail Jeep of the Month http://www.auburn.edu/~hawkijf/test.html
          http://communities.msn.com/ATexasOkl...urwebpage.msnw More OURAY Tips ABOVE *******Abbreviation & Acronym List BELOW
          Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
          It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
          ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• reddog
            304 AMC
            • Jul 26, 2000

It is all about volumetric efficiency. Dumping hot flowing gases into a pipe that does not help continue the flow (IE too large) and you lose VE. That is what happens when the exhaust is too large for the flow out of the motor at low RPMs

Same principle is why multi valve engines work. The small size of the port gives the velocity, (low RPM power) and multiple (small) ports give the volume need at higer RPMs.

Atmopheric pressure is not a factor in better VE as the atmopheric pressure is pretty close to the same going into the motor as it is coming out of it.

This horse is startin' to smell isn't it?

Kerry

[ September 12, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: reddog ]
            87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

This horse is startin' to smell isn't it?
              It was smelling days agao .

Thanks Matt, that does clear up alot.

Comment

• FSJeeper
                King of Unfinished Projects
                • May 20, 2000

I smell it too.
                In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• oddfire
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 05, 2000

This thread is gettin to be like drivin past a car wreck. I WANNA just keep on goin but I GOTTA stop to look........phil
                  76 Cherokee W/T 401

Comment

• Rogue
                    360 AMC
                    • Nov 17, 2001

that sucker has stunk for a long long long time....
                    Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• Tourettes
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jun 26, 2002

Mr. Venturi would be proud!
                      Tourettes 1978 Wagoneer
                      360-727-228 - MSD 6a - TFI - MSD 8.5mm - 880CCA Diehard Plat - 31x10.5x15 - LEDs in every socket

Comment

• Big Daddy aka.redwoodsignman
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 24, 2002

It's unbelievable. How twisted things become if you want somebody to beleive you bad enough. But in the end.................
                        1983 Wagoneer<br />360 727<br />4\" rusty\'s lift <br />31\"x11.50\" Wildcat EXT<br />new 2.5\" exhaust<br /><br />Check out some pics<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/BigDaddysWagon/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fsjworld.com/BigDaddysWagon/</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Damage, Inc.:
                          "You can alter this by tuning your intake system AWAY from your exhaust system. This means, basically,- If you want all your power below 2000 rpm and nothing at 3000, then run a dinky carb , dinky cam, lowrise duel plane ,and dinky pipes... and idle every where."

Exactly what everyone has been trying to tell you. Thanks.
                          actually, not what everybody was trying to tell me, Did you read the whole post? apparently not, let me sum-up here- if you want low rpm power and NOTHING ELSE run a small carb small cam and small pipe and idle everywhere. You aren't gonna be driving any highways or passing anyone with your power all in by 2000 rpm. And that is the bottom line. you want LOW, MID, and HIGH- end power, put a carb with small primaries and large secondaries, a highrise duel plane, a moderate (NON-RV CAM) and larger pipe and you get, not only, more low-end but more top-end too. why the hell build a vehicle that can't go anywhere but up a rock? A jeep is a multi use tool, why limit it? let the engine breathe and discover new horizons, your fun isn't just limited to rock crawling! I got a buddy who built a 400 approximate hp 401 in his built up cj7, it goes almost anywhere, big rocks, deep mud and even a little illegal drag-racing... and doesn't have any problems at low rpm. He's been wheeling it for about 7 years now, he's blown 2 motors drag racing it and shifting at 6000 rpm, 4 or 5 axles, more other little junk than I can remember, and rolled it a few times climbing rocks and river banks mud pits. It has an atlas t-case, strengthened wagoneer D44 front, trussed ford 9" rear, a shackle reversal in the front 35" boggers about a foot of lift and a full cage, on board air, the list goes on... It isn't limited at all by its high rpm power or headers and duel 2.5" exhaust.
                          But hey, that's only real world example stuff here, YOU haven't done it yourselves. So I guess if you guys wanna play games, go ahead, I'm a stupid moron and just spoutting bull$hit...put a fright wig on me and a big ****ing red nose... "Look everybody, this clown thinks just because he reads alotta BOOKS and has worked on his own jeeps he thinks he can tell US things! what a fool!" and I guess I am. laugh it up guys. it don't get any better than this.

Comment

&lt;In my BEST Confusious voice&gt;

"He who wun behind vehicoo too wong will get exhausted"

Todd
                            www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Big Daddy aka.redwoodsignman
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 24, 2002

Self esteem issues?
                              1983 Wagoneer<br />360 727<br />4\" rusty\'s lift <br />31\"x11.50\" Wildcat EXT<br />new 2.5\" exhaust<br /><br />Check out some pics<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/BigDaddysWagon/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fsjworld.com/BigDaddysWagon/</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X