International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-12-2019, 07:23 PM
232 I6

Awesome to see the final stretch, so glad you were able to get in touch with George. Nicely done!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 09-12-2019, 09:38 PM
304 AMC

The wife and I kept going to look at it. It really does feel like a milestone. And it is funny what the pinstriping does to the camera. It's weird. It pretty much wigs out the lens...

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM
304 AMC

I keep thinking I am just about done and two other things come up. Thats OK I know I am close. So a year or so ago I put a day or two into the hub caps. I just spent another three days on them. Bill needs them for pictures for his insurance company. I can't send pictures without hubcaps! After about 6 hours on one and I have to quit as it all starts looking the same. Thats why it takes so long to straighten them. I used several punches with the edges filed off, two different curvature rubber hammers, a rubber dolly that had the same curvature as the hubcap, and a regular broad face body hammer.
I picked the best three rears and eventually narrowed it down to two. I had no choice on the fronts as that was all I had.

I used 1500 grit to show me the dents with shadows.

Totally wavy and pretty much a reject. These are way past difficult to get perfect.

Deep scratches and gouges I used a super small punch and sometimes a chisel filed smooth with no corners. I would raise the metal with the punch and carefully using a body hammer and the rubber dolly in a vise, ease the bump level with the surrounding area. Then use a jewelers file to level it.

After this filing stage it went to the buffer with a sisal wheel and black heavy compound for leveling and scratch removal. I had to read the directions again to remember how to buff stainless. Caswell plating in New York had all the compounds and a great booklet on different metals and plastics. Caswell is also the place I got what I needed to plate zinc on the bolts a couple years ago. Interesting company.
So the hub caps look pretty good. They were all dented and scratched.
I wish I had time to repaint the centers. Maybe later...

The mirrors are on. These are from an early Bronco. Die cast metal and triple chrome plated. Bill found them and sent them to me. He keeps asking if they are on yet... Here you go Bill....

And this is the only picture I have of the visors. They are on and all cleaned up. I shot blasted the mounts and put satin nickel cerakote on them
They match the rear view mirror mount, same finish as the rear seat brackets, etc...

I found two good pins for the visors. Apparently the new ones are flexible. This broke right away when I snapped it in the rear view mirror mount. It gets thicker about 3/8ths in so I sanded it back to that point. This is another part that I will make from new better materials. I documented the entire pin for lathe work later.

I drove it around up and down the driveway. It is pretty dang cool. I am not sure I will give Sadie back.

More soon...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-19-2019, 10:56 PM
360 AMC

As I read these last few posts I get super excited to see the final pictures and know it will look absolutely stunning but I am also a little sad for this thread to be coming to a close. This was the first real thread I found when I signed up here and I feel like Sadie is my long distance pen pal.

I am sure you will post lots of final pictures and we are all dying to see it. Could you post some of bill taking the keys too? I think I will cry a little when you say goodbye!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 AM
350 Buick

there are no proper adjectives to describe how nice this build is.

the weird pattern created by the lines is something we encounter in printing

well, used to encounter more, years ago.

I think the word is pronounced "more-ray",...sp. = moray ?????

it used to occur in making negatives to make plates for the printing press

it does do a number on the lens and the eye in photos.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM
304 AMC

Rang, You should see the key ring I just found on ebay. It is a kaiser emblem on a leather fob. It is totally bad a**. I was not going to tell Bill till I handed him the keys, but oh well. I do plan on a pile of pictures. I will post them in a grand finale of posts. Hopefully photobucket will remain stable and not try the extortion thing again. It is feeling like an end of an era for me. A lot has happened since taking Sadie on. There were several times I wanted to throw in the towel. To give up and just try to get through what was getting dished out to me at the time. I would have had a hard time doing that to anyone let alone a best friend that I am super grateful for and someone I could not let down.
Now I am just excited to see the creation. It is so dang close.

I plan on a break and several repairs that are needed here. Then I think I will move my 1969 X model into the shop and start getting a plan. I miss my wag and really want it done too. Then there is the two J trucks in the yard.

Dave, thanks for explaining that effect. I could claim I am training to be a hynotist and trying to subliminally convince everyone they need a Jeep truck or a wagoneer.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-21-2019, 09:31 PM
304 AMC

Now this is cool!

Bill said he did not read the part in my post about the kaiser key fob, so it is still a surprise.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-24-2019, 11:31 AM
230 Tornado

Looking great Al.
Looking forward to your posts on door seal install
I'm almost ready!!!!!
W
Old 09-24-2019, 11:06 PM
304 AMC

Well I blazed through the door seals. They are on. I used yellow 3M weatherstripping glue. I squeezed it into a super small spray can lid, a little at a time. I also used a small disposable paint brush you get from the hardware store. I had some difficulties. The glue firms up very fast. I went through 5 brushes and 4? little cups. It gums up on the brush and eventually does not work well to spread it. I also found doing about 8-10 inches at a time is about as far ahead of yourself you will want to go. I carefully spread it on the door area, then painted it on the seal. Let it skin up and using both gloved hands carefully guide it into the angle sheetmetal pressing firmly once it is in place.
The front doors behind the hinges was tough. To keep glue off everything.
I was having a tough time with what I think was too much daytime heat, I left about 20 inches for later from the bottom of the vent slope, down past the hinges and under the door. I squeezed glue right on the brush in small amounts and I think that worked better than the little cup spray can lid method. So try that instead. Also try to buy 5-7 acid brushes for solder work. They have shorter bristles and while I only had one, it worked better than the small paint brushes.

I still have yet to do the tailgate. I ran out of glue. I used a full tube on all 4 doors. I have some more ordered and it is on the slow boat on the way here.

I also found paint thinner helps soften and remove glue you might have accidentally gotten on something you did not intend.

I have been working on the tailgate window motor and channels for the last two days. I have identical glass run channels and window wipes and roof groove rubber from BJ's and Team Grand wagoneer. Honestly I am not having success at all. The window wipes must be made for later glass with no metal frame. The metal trim around the glass grabs the outer wipe and pulls it down folding it into a serious mess. It binds the glass and keeps it from going all the way in the T-gate.
The rubber insert glass run in the roof pillars and upper groove must also be made for no trim glass. It stalls 8 inches from the top. I have removed everything and sprayed it with silicone. That helped bigtime as did a motor and worm drive gear change from the original I molested and had a difficult time with last year. It still stalls and the parts don't fit well at all.
If any of you readers remember back when I did the glass run channels in the doors, I had to razor blade the rib off both sides of the glass run rubber because it squeezed the glass so hard, you could not roll the window up period. Once the rib was shaved off it worked.
I just got done doing a long search for better fitting window felt guides. I think I have found a product made for glass with metal frames. I will verify the dimensions tomorrw and order this stuff up if it looks like a go. It is flexible and should bend around the upper corners without to much issue.

The other thing that I can address is relays in the tailgate for the motor. Near as I can tell serehill (RIP RICK) built his relay system for later tailgates and their respective motors. Well these early tailgates and the motors are 4 wire. One is a ground and the other three????? Up, down and ????
I will get out the test light tomorrow when the wife returns to help me with being the switch girl...
So two very frustrating tailgate issues... Lousy fitting window guides that pinch the glass stalling the upward shutting of the glass, and inherent weak motors that need a large wire directly from the battery.
I am also looking for a high torque motor replacement. That one will take a long time to nail. The two things I can hopefully improve I just mentioned.

It is calling for snow this weekend. I am on a mad dash to winterize everything and I discovered my plow truck has a broken frame support.
Son of a hibachi..... I am so behind on just about everything... I'm going to bed....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 09-24-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
The window wipes must be made for later glass with no metal frame. The metal trim around the glass grabs the outer wipe and pulls it down folding it into a serious mess. It binds the glass and keeps it from going all the way in the T-gate.

I have the same issue. I can't roll it all the way down because of this. If you find a solution, please share. Mine will go all the way up though. Manual window....
Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 AM
350 Buick

I spotted the j trucks in the background
in one of the build photos.

I wondered what you had in store for them.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 09-25-2019, 09:56 AM
230 Tornado

Hey Al,
So which door seal did you end up going with?
If I recall there was a double V type and a triple V.Did you end up installing the
rectangle piece that layers on top
And you did it with doors on.Impressive!!!!!! It's tight between the front door and the body.Pics?
Cheers W
Old 09-25-2019, 10:07 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
I have the same issue. I can't roll it all the way down because of this. If you find a solution, please share. Mine will go all the way up though. Manual window....

I trimmed the corners to be round and not square. Plus I put silicone on a rag and applied it to the inside surface of the wipe. It is way better but still grabs and is not a long term working solution. I just hate "it's good enough" parts fabrication. I spent a lot of hours looking at seals, window guides, rubber channels, etc last night. I see some wipes that may work. It is getting the metal clips that are so incredibly brittle mounted in said new strip that is the challenge. I need another year to figure that one out... Just kidding, I am under the gun to get sadie towed back to Seattle before roads get iced up and make it hazardous. I don't have snow tires on my tow rig...
If I find a solution, I will sure post up.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
I spotted the j trucks in the background
in one of the build photos.

I wondered what you had in store for them.

dave in NC

I had them on craigslist for three weeks. The only call was from a young kid (junior in high school) who I could tell had no money to feed these critters.
I commended him on his choice for an uncommon rig to have, but these trucks needed a lot of corrections. And money to make them go.

So I took them off with the interest of still building out the black one, a 1971.
I do want to keep them, I had a moment of "I have to many projects" hit me.
I will get to them next summer.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-25-2019, 10:33 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumplake
Hey Al,
So which door seal did you end up going with?
If I recall there was a double V type and a triple V.Did you end up installing the
rectangle piece that layers on top
And you did it with doors on.Impressive!!!!!! It's tight between the front door and the body.Pics?
Cheers W

Hey Wade... I used Auveco 16891 50' and had to get a box of the same stuff 16890 25'. I think the tailgate uses a same profile but with a longer middle flange. I am checking that today. I also need to find the part number again. If I do use the longer flange product, then I would not need the 25 foot box of 16890. A 50 foot box did all 4 doors and I had a little left over. Not enough to do the T-gate..
https://www.dixied.com/product6402.html

My 1969 has Auveco 16390 I will put the 16891 on as I believe it is a better seal.

https://www.dixied.com/cgi-dixied/sb...x=0&Search.y=0

I will check the tailgate for several things today. But right now I need to repair the plow frame on Jimmy Dean. My plow truck... It is broken.
Apparently we have 158 feet of snow coming this weekend. And some wind now... We have had a very warm fall. Then it froze last night. It's late and I should have winterized everything by now. I will have some pictures and details when I can get them up here. Now where is my coffee.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-26-2019, 11:01 AM
304 AMC

Nothing like good old fashioned stick welding. The plow truck is fixed and I even painted agricultural slip plate (graphite) on the whole blade. Maybe that stuff will work there...

So I found some window glass run made for windows with a metal frame. I measured it all out compared to the old worn out glass run I took out of the beater 70 in the yard. It looks to be very close in size. By all means it should be a vast improvement over the glass run from the big box stores... It was held in with 5 screws. The glass gap in the new part is wider than the metal frame. By all means the glass should run up with no interference and stop firmly into the upper channel preventing any movement or rattles. It is on the way. You can see in the picture below how the lips of that glass run are nearly touching. Running the metal frame up provides quite a squeeze and the further you go the harder the motor has to work. That is why I want to replace it with this...

https://www.steelerubber.com/flexibl...nel-60-0129-58

I am still trying to improve this.

There is way to much rubber there. Retracting the window further into the gate pulls 3 inches of window wipe down. I cut a radius in the ends and wiped the inside with silicone. It helped but this seal needs to be replaced with something that will work with glass with a metal frame. It is stuff like this and the solutions that need to be discovered that are the reason for this build being ten long year build. I don't just work in it on weekends. More soon on the glass run install. When it gets here.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-26-2019, 01:23 PM
350 Buick

My biggest issue is that bottom rubber piece. The glass frame catches it and stops me from rolling the window down.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:36 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
My biggest issue is that bottom rubber piece. The glass frame catches it and stops me from rolling the window down.
I have noticed the same on mine, sometimes the metal trim catches on the rubber and starts to look like the metal window trim is going to be forced off the glass...yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Now this is cool!

Bill said he did not read the part in my post about the kaiser key fob, so it is still a surprise.

What a cool key fob and a coincidence...my son just gave me one he ordered me from eBay as an early Christmas present...yes!

Those final touches are looking incredible, Al. You are making that Wagoneer look better than new!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 09-26-2019, 09:39 PM
304 AMC

Thank you Charles. I am down to a few days work. And I want to trailer it to a paved location and test drive it, then motor to Seattle. Soon...

OK so I had no key for the tailgate window switch. I have 4 lock cylinders here and none of the keys had fit that I tried. The tailgate lock cylinders are different from door lock cylinders. I figured I would have to pay a locksmith to make a key for one of them. This morning I grabbed my CJ keys and the keys for a 1968 Jeepster Commando that is here waiting on me to finish Sadie. I tried each Jeepster key in each one. Same with my CJ IGN key. Low and behold my CJ side tank locking gas cap key fit perfectly in one of the cylinders. The tumblers lay flat and even. So a couple copies and I am set. It is ready to go in short of one missing fillister head screw. I'll pick up new ones when I get the keys made.

So I just finished undercoating Sadie this afternoon. Today was probably the last 70ish day we will have this season. I needed heat to spray. Supposedly
we have below freezing temps, snow and wind coming Tomorrow night. My wife is reading the report out loud to me right now and stating 6-12 inches of snow coming. Geez.... No I am not ready. Close but not quite.

Glad to get the undercoating done. I spent days removing it when getting ready for paint. As usual I am fond of 3M products. I wrote the part number so you folks could see it. It was printed around the bend there...

I thought 100 bucks for the spray gun from 3M was a bit steep. I read that the Astro Pneumatic spray gun for 19 bucks works just fine.
This one.

I had one tar ball clog the gun. It took a bit to clear it and the very same thing would have happened to the high faluten 3M gun. Naptha cut this stuff the best. I tried laquer thinner, acetone, and naptha. Naptha ruled big time.

A test panel. A good heavy gooey spray. Perfect.

Don't do this. Seriously.... I forgot to put on a spray hood and as I write, I am covered with black rubbery specs in my hair and face and neck. And yes I wiped with naptha and took a shower. Oops,

I did each wheel well, both rockers to the frame, and the rear half of the back quarters. I used 3 containers. I believe they are 1.9 pints each??

Before

After

I am very happy with it. Nice and thick. The glass run I ordered should be here some time next week. I will hope to report it works better than what I have here. Then it is Sadies first bath and final pictures.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 09-27-2019, 11:13 AM
230 Tornado

First off, I am impressed with your skill and dedication to this project. Remarkable. I will definitely be looking back through this thread as I restore my '68 Wagoneer. I think mine is in worse condition though!

I'm sure that I'll come across many questions and frustrations along the way. My Wagoneer should really be a lost cause, but I just couldn't junk it. The number of Kaiser era Wagons out there seems to be quite low, and as stupid as it is, I want to save this one.

I also sent this thread to my husband for reference since he's my partner on this restore (and I'll be impressed if both of us and our marriage survives just kidding though) and he said "why isn't this guy mass producing this stuff!" in respect to various parts throughout this thread, whether it was small stuff or door skins, or whatever. So I think you're doing a great job! It must feel so great to see that the end of the build is near.