• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texafornian
    258 I6
    • Apr 01, 2014

Looking for some opinion.

I'm considering getting a pair of these LED headlight bulbs for my GW. Figured I would just do a headlight restore on the glass and install these. Supposed to plug right into the stock headlight connector. ???

Thank you.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
    ~Jim Sherlock~
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

Not likely unless you've already done some modifications to convert to a different type of headlamp.

Our jeeps came with either incandescent or halogen "sealed beams".
    That means the entire housing, lens and filament are sealed so no moisture or contamination can get inside. The ones with Halogen inside are generally brighter for the same power draw.
    The later Wagoneers use the large 6052 or H6052 rectangular bulbs, 65/55 Watts (Hi/Lo).
    Lens Dimenesions are 200mm x 142mm, (7.9" wide x 5.5" high)

If you want to replace for better light on the road at very reasonable cost, GE's standard Nighthawk is considered the best by the experts on CandlepowerForums.
    Oddly, it is listed as a 6054, which is dimensionally the same as a 6052 but usually has a 35 Watt low beam. But both an Amazon buyer and the GE website show it as 65 W/55W. Also Virgil on candlepowerforums measured the current and confirms they are 55W like 6052.
    Specs at GE 6054NH

Next option up pricewise is an "H4" type bulb and 200mm x 142mm housing. It's also a direct fit but the bulb is seperate from the lens and reflector.
    Hella's "Vision Plus" H4/HB2* headlight is decent, although the bulb it often comes with is only OK. This is one of the few H4 type headlights that conform to both European and US codes. Some places will sell the lamps without bulbs. There are some very good H4/HB2 bulbs from Philips, Narva and Osram without going over the stock wattage. HB2 is the US spec version of an H4 bulb.

Some are labled "plus", but have the same draw as normal.
    From Dan Stern's website
    About +30 & +50 Bulbs:
    +30" and "+50" bulbs are standard-wattage items with higher filament luminance and tighter filament focus. They give better headlight performance than standard bulbs, with an attendant shorter bulb lifespan.
    Another good H4 headlamp is made by Cibie. You can buy through Dan Stern Consulting, Aardvark and Headlight Services. I used Cibies for a long time, but just changed one that had a crack in it for the last ten years. That caused the reflector to darken over tme. I went with the vision-plus because it was easy to get quickly.

Finally, for yet more money, some people like the LED replacement H4s made by Trucklite and JW Speaker. They both perform decently. A summary table of Hilldweller's tests of these and some H4s are near the middle of this page. Some, like me, hate the look and don't care for the light. But at least these two I mentioned do work well and draw less current, which is generally a good thing.

Probably more info than you wanted..
    Last edited by nograin; 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• SpudWrench
      232 I6
      • Nov 19, 2015

Originally posted by nograin
      Your post
      Thanks for that. I was considering the Cibie lights from DS, but I'm glad to know there are other, more available, options for good, incandescent replacements.
      1986 GW

Comment

• bozzo152
        230 Tornado
        • Oct 10, 2016

headlights

this is what i put on my 85 gw

SUP-LIGHT 2 PCS 5x7 7x6 Inch Rectangular Sealed Beam LED Headlight with DRL Replacement H6014/H6052/H6054/6054 LED Headlight

bolt right in no mods needed and thay will light every thing up

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by SpudWrench
          Thanks for that. I was considering the Cibie lights from DS, but I'm glad to know there are other, more available, options for good, incandescent replacements.
          Glad to share. I started looking for alternatives last year after trying to get a replacement from DS and it was going to be several months before his warehouse had one in stock.
          The clincher was the lengthy e-mail about modifications to my systems, in particular the side markers. Not sure what's happened to Dan 'cause I've bought stuff from him several times in the past, and even spoke with him on the phone back then. I'd seen some of his posts on the mopar forums in the past couple years where I had hoped that was just the nature of the medium. Just seemed to lack the ability to recognize other people might have different needs or perspectives, which is no reflection on his expertise.
          And the side marker modifications? He wanted me to make them blink with the turn signals. It was ridiculous because my car doesn't have any sidemarkers (pre '68) and the Wagoneer's fronts already do that. So there's nothing to change, and all I asked for was prices for replacement Cibies.
          So that's when I started looking for other places to buy as well as possible alternatives to the Cibies, hence collecting info from candlepowerforums. I've had both the plain Hella H4s and their Vision Plus H4s on my car (7" round). The visionplus H4s low beam cutoff line is not as severe, and the hi beam points pretty much where it should.
          '85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

Cool. Binding other drivers is the new biggest fad in America. You'll fit right in.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• nograin
              304 AMC
              • Dec 19, 2000

A properly aimed headlamp that meets either ECE or SAE vehicle specs will not blind other drivers.

Headlights made to the SAE standard can be aimed mechanically (prefered) or visually. E-code lamps don't have the nibs for the aiming machine so pretty much have to be done visually. Which specs the lamp is designed for is cast into the lens as letters (and numbers).

Unfortunately, not all lamps sold comply with the lighting standards. There is no regulation on the manufacturer or sale. Even if there are codes cast into the lens, they are only as good as the manufacturer's reputation. Knock-offs, copies, etc and glitter sometimes have the markings because they copied them and in that case are fairly meaningless. A legit company won't do that cause they have a reputation besides the risk of super big dollar lawsuits for consumer fraud/death/injury/property loss.

Technically any light that doesn't meet minimum requirements is illegal to use on public roads (by state regs) but not something regularly enforced. A few states like NJ used to check at annual inspection.
              '85 Grand Wagoneer
              360 727auto, NP229
              body by beer (PO)
              carries wood inside
              no "wood" outside
              My other car is a fish

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

2 Things

There are tons of direct bolt ins. Led blind less than Halogen when directed correctly. Talk to folks that actually have used them. I got flashed far more with my Halogens than I do with my upgrades in low beam. All newer vehicles are coming with better brighter headlight. No use being stuck in the past on because of a guilt trip. Upgrade is a god think in my opinion. I did mine 8 years ago.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Texafornian
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 01, 2014

Wow! Thanks for all the info. A lot to consider. Confused about the current draw comment though, I was under the impression that all LED's drew less current. Part of the animals makeup.

Thank you.
                  ~Jim Sherlock~

Comment

• nograin
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 19, 2000

Sorry if there was confusion.

The LED lamps will draw less current. That is definately an advantage.
                    The two mentioned, JW Speaker 8700 and Truck-lites, are reported to be good quality lamps that conform to legal headlight standards.
                    The lenses are a tough plastic, which has advantages and disadvantages. That's a very individual decision. Same with the nature of the light - an LED lamp is made up of multiple LEDs facing forward - very different than a single filament focused through a glass lens with the aid of a reflector.

If you'ld like to see pictures of light on the road from the JW Speakers and the Trucklites, follow the links under the table in the middle of
                    this page. The table summarizes Hilldweller's measurements. (Know that the JK Jeeps start life with a different type of headlamp than XJ, SJs and other older jeeps, but the ones in the table have been upgraded to accept the 7" round lamps).

An H4 style headlamp will draw the same current as factory. However, overwattage bulbs are readily available. There's no need to use them for street use. For the same wattage, a +30 bulb will provide more lumens in exchange for somewhat shorter life; +50, +80 more so.
                    Good legit ones have glass lenses, which has advantages and disadvantages. The bulb is replaceable, which is generally considered an advantage. The ones that are legit put out a light pattern that is generally as good, sometimes much better, than sealed beams. Because of their history (being adopted in the UK and Europe first) they tend to be good at controlling upward light, which cuts glare reflecting back in the fog and rain.
                    They are somewhat more sensitive to low voltage situations - sometimes at idle they will dim a little, depending on the alternator, wiring, etc.

The easiest and cheapest to purchase H4 headlamp with decent lighting pattern has been Hella's Visionplus. About $100 for a pair and replacement bulbs such as the Narva +30 are $10-15 each.

Finally many replacement halogen sealed beams actually draw less power than stock on low beam. In this case, its a disadvantage. The GE Nighthawk Halogen sealed beam draws the same as stock and has a decent light pattern. Its easy to mail order if not available locally, and cheaper than any of the above options.

Consider your local conditions, use and personal preferences - its your decision.
                    Last edited by nograin; 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM.
                    '85 Grand Wagoneer
                    360 727auto, NP229
                    body by beer (PO)
                    carries wood inside
                    no "wood" outside
                    My other car is a fish

Comment

Working...
                    X