International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Darwin1876 Darwin1876 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 16, 2015
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 66
Holley Sniper EFI

Just curious if anyone has installed this kit. And if so do you like it?
__________________
78 J10
88 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
72 J4000
64 J200 (parts truck)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
bkilby's Avatar
bkilby bkilby is offline
350 Buick
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2016
Location: Burbank Ca.
Posts: 831
Interested as well. If I hadn't already purchased a new carb, I'b be getting this setup to try out.
__________________
1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2017, 04:14 PM
rocklaurence rocklaurence is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2009
Location: 33812, Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 1,679
Wow, first I saw this! Its about time and it was FITEC and others that pushed them to make an affordable kit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Darwin1876 Darwin1876 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 16, 2015
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 66
I think I have decided to take the plunge and order the kit. I will update afterwards.
__________________
78 J10
88 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
72 J4000
64 J200 (parts truck)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Geminiroq Geminiroq is offline
258 I6
 
Join Date: Apr 06, 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 442
Would be nice if they make a CARB version for us in California
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Darwin1876 Darwin1876 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 16, 2015
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 66
Hopefully a California one will be there in the future.
__________________
78 J10
88 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
72 J4000
64 J200 (parts truck)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM
wayne-o- wayne-o- is offline
Noob!
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2015
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 8
My Sniper Install

Just installed this on my 83 J10 Sunday, Huge improvement, smooth acceleration, reduced warm up, crisp throttle response, did have a problem with RPM's couldn't get it down below 850, a couple calls to Holley techs and they told me the fix. Just a matter of some tuning thru the hand held now its idling at 720 to 740.......smooth as silk.

this is my 3rd EFI setup; Howell, don't waste your time 3 injector pods,2 computer chips, 5 months and a trip to one of their approved shops later, runs too lean. they refunded my money
Holley Avenger 4 injectors.....1989 technology likes to shut off primary jets in stop & go traffic so your stalling, supplier gave me replacement units my choice, took (2) Holley Snipers, gave one to my brother for his 72 Jeepster
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:22 PM
j10jim's Avatar
j10jim j10jim is offline
327 Rambler
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2003
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-o-
Just installed this on my 83 J10 Sunday, Huge improvement, smooth acceleration, reduced warm up, crisp throttle response, did have a problem with RPM's couldn't get it down below 850, a couple calls to Holley techs and they told me the fix. Just a matter of some tuning thru the hand held now its idling at 720 to 740.......smooth as silk.

this is my 3rd EFI setup; Howell, don't waste your time 3 injector pods,2 computer chips, 5 months and a trip to one of their approved shops later, runs too lean. they refunded my money
Holley Avenger 4 injectors.....1989 technology likes to shut off primary jets in stop & go traffic so your stalling, supplier gave me replacement units my choice, took (2) Holley Snipers, gave one to my brother for his 72 Jeepster


How are you going to pass smog in CA with that on your 83 J10? I have a 1980 J10 and would definitely do this if it would pass CA smog. Thanks
__________________
1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Geminiroq Geminiroq is offline
258 I6
 
Join Date: Apr 06, 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by j10jim
How are you going to pass smog in CA with that on your 83 J10? I have a 1980 J10 and would definitely do this if it would pass CA smog. Thanks

Same here
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM
yossarian19 yossarian19 is offline
258 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2016
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 402
Some counties in California only require a smog when ownership changes. Get a PO box and have a few bills sent there.
Or be like my old engine repair instructor, buy yourself a damned aircraft hanger full of muscle cars in Oregon and register your stuff up there
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-19-2017, 09:23 PM
j10jim's Avatar
j10jim j10jim is offline
327 Rambler
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2003
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 605
Maybe you need to start a nice side business. I could register my truck up there and you could forward the reg info to me
__________________
1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
SpudWrench's Avatar
SpudWrench SpudWrench is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 19, 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-o-
Just installed this on my 83 J10 Sunday, Huge improvement, smooth acceleration, reduced warm up, crisp throttle response, did have a problem with RPM's couldn't get it down below 850, a couple calls to Holley techs and they told me the fix. Just a matter of some tuning thru the hand held now its idling at 720 to 740.......smooth as silk.

Thanks for this.
Any install notes to be aware of?
Timing control simple modifications?
__________________
1986 GW
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2017, 05:44 PM
wayne-o- wayne-o- is offline
Noob!
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2015
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 8
As far as smogging, I know a guy. And for the sniper install, pretty simple 5 wires, I've got the rpm idle fix from holley, took about 3 minutes. I got 3/8 x 6an fittings from a hose shop and 3/8 fuel injection hose and fuel inj clamps from Napa. You can go down 1 size for your return and run 5/16. I do recommend this system.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM
rang-a-stang's Avatar
rang-a-stang rang-a-stang is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Oct 31, 2016
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 2,859
When I was working on getting my Chero through smog, I came across a guy with a 79 CJ7 with a 401/Holley sniper in it. He said he originally had a Howell and it went through smog a couple times, but he wanted more power so he put a Edelbrock intake on it (but ground off the logo, and painted it to match the engine so it looks like a stock manifold), and the Holley Sniper. He said when he takes it to smog, they kind of scratch their heads when they look at it, assume the Holley Kit is the Howell kit, and do the sniff/evap tests. He said he has passed twice like that. He's banking that the smog techs can't tell the difference and twice it has worked for him which means he's been driving it for at least 4 years like that. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk failing but he swears by it.
__________________
79 Cherokee Chief, barely runs
(Cherokee Build Thread)
11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:38 PM
wayne-o- wayne-o- is offline
Noob!
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2015
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 8
Ok, smog, if you download the Howell install manual, they tell you all the smog crap you can legally get rid of when you run their system, smog pump, plugging off exhaust tubes that used to be needed for your headers (I have Doug Thorley) gotta keep the charcoal canister, big deal.

Last edited by babywag : 02-21-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 PM
babywag's Avatar
babywag babywag is offline
out of order
 
Join Date: Jun 08, 2005
Location: Land of froot loops and cukcoo-nuts, CA
Posts: 9,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
When I was working on getting my Chero through smog, I came across a guy with a 79 CJ7 with a 401/Holley sniper in it. He said he originally had a Howell and it went through smog a couple times, but he wanted more power so he put a Edelbrock intake on it (but ground off the logo, and painted it to match the engine so it looks like a stock manifold), and the Holley Sniper. He said when he takes it to smog, they kind of scratch their heads when they look at it, assume the Holley Kit is the Howell kit, and do the sniff/evap tests. He said he has passed twice like that. He's banking that the smog techs can't tell the difference and twice it has worked for him which means he's been driving it for at least 4 years like that. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk failing but he swears by it.

No offense but holley sniper just hit market so not sure I'd buy anything the guy said. Also has ginormous Holley Sniper EFI script on it.
You would have to know smog guy, or find one ignorant enough to risk losing his license and a fine for a $xx smog test fee.


wayne-o be careful what you post in future.
__________________
Tony
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:53 PM
rang-a-stang's Avatar
rang-a-stang rang-a-stang is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Oct 31, 2016
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
No offense but holley sniper just hit market so not sure I'd buy anything the guy said. Also has ginormous Holley Sniper EFI script on it.
You would have to know smog guy, or find one ignorant enough to risk losing his license and a fine for a $xx smog test fee.

No offense taken! My thoughts were similar but more like "that's a lot of time and effort to bank on the tech not noticing". Dude didn't do any of his own work (had a local custom shop do all his work). I had to explain the difference between 4bbl and 2bbls and what "long block" means during our discussion.

I called the shop to see if his Howell system was still there (because I would have bought it if it was) and the owner said he sold it "years ago". So, long story long, I don't put much weight on what this guy said but a) he seemed loaded (lots of money, not drunk) so I didn't doubt his story about having Howell and updating to a better system, b) He knew very little about how engines work, generally, so he may have been giving me info that wasn't a lie, but not necessarily correct and c) the shop, generally, didn't contradict him. Here's his Jeep, I contacted him because he had a '79 401 that had been smogged. He lives really close to me. Intake does not look engine color.
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/5980569396.html

I did smog my Chero at the same place he went and I watched the tech smog my truck. He did some poking around during his visual inspection but he didn't take out any pubs to verify my configuration and when he was inputting the values for the inspection, he did not turn away from the computer to check anything.
__________________
79 Cherokee Chief, barely runs
(Cherokee Build Thread)
11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Phaques Phaques is offline
Noob!
 
Join Date: Mar 03, 2017
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin1876
Just curious if anyone has installed this kit. And if so do you like it?
Have you pulled the trigger on this? It looks like a good setup.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Darwin1876 Darwin1876 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 16, 2015
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaques
Have you pulled the trigger on this? It looks like a good setup.
I have I've ordered it. But it is on back order and won't ship out until next month.
__________________
78 J10
88 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
72 J4000
64 J200 (parts truck)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Tte531 Tte531 is offline
Noob!
 
Join Date: May 24, 2016
Posts: 18
Hey curious how this ever turned out?
__________________
1983 Wagoneer Limited 5.9L
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alright you EFI folks, Holley has something for you. Cherokeeowner Fuel Injection 3 02-07-2016 07:56 AM
Holley Projection or Howell EFI? Eugene 1 General FSJ Tech 31 10-30-2015 09:01 AM
Holley Commander 950 EFI AKAMC General FSJ Tech 1 10-29-2008 04:10 PM
Urgent EFI Question - Holley Pro-Jection Install Help Needed Spectre General FSJ Tech 16 02-06-2006 08:52 AM
Holley EFI Turnall General FSJ Tech 11 04-27-2005 08:21 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner