Fire dasmmaged mostly repaired, need help with 2 wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 82camo401j10
    232 I6
    • Mar 16, 2020

Fire dasmmaged mostly repaired, need help with 2 wires?

Wires all burnt into about half way middle firewall.
    Right bout AT dipstick. I cut , traced, replaced all but 3?
    Can't find anything to attach, thought they went nowhere.
    These lead over to fuseblock harness behind master cyl.
    Also have a 4wire flat plug coming up dipstick, with no signs of damage, doesn't
    Look like it was plugged into anything?
    But, theirs always a Butt, my TC, 4wd, engage, light in dash not working(it did). And fuel gauge dont move , it did).
    Sending wire looks to come up drivers side frame so no fire dammage.
    Feel sure light is to do with 4 around dipstick, but nothing to hook to?
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Got pics?

Do you have wiring diagrams? If not might be one on oljeep.com
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

Yeah, it's almost impossible to figure out wiring issues without the Jeep in front of you.

There's no '82 diagram but there is an '81 and an '83 diagram here. https://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html Either will be close to what you have.

The bulkhead connector that plugs into the back of the fuse panel is what you see. Each of the locations on the plug has a number on a picture of the plug on the diagram. That number corresponds to the wire number on the diagram. If you can't figure it out by looking at the backside of the plug, you can remove the bolt in the middle of the plug and unplug it, then test each connector on the plug-in side. If you can't figure it out by looking at the Jeep and the diagrams, make a copy of the diagrams and trace through each wire with colored pencil. Tedious, but it should get you there.
      Last edited by tgreese; 09-05-2020, 10:16 AM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by 82camo401j10
        Wires all burnt into about half way middle firewall.
        Right bout AT dipstick. I cut , traced, replaced all but 3?
        Can't find anything to attach, thought they went nowhere.
        These lead over to fuseblock harness behind master cyl.
        Also have a 4wire flat plug coming up dipstick, with no signs of damage, doesn't
        Look like it was plugged into anything?
        But, theirs always a Butt, my TC, 4wd, engage, light in dash not working(it did). And fuel gauge dont move , it did).
        Sending wire looks to come up drivers side frame so no fire dammage.
        Feel sure light is to do with 4 around dipstick, but nothing to hook to?
        727 has a switch for backup lights, and TC sometimes has switch for 4wd light.
        Sounds like that is what they likely are?
        On the 727 find the switch and follow the wires you should find the missing plug...
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
        X