• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M1Garandfan
    304 AMC
    • Jul 14, 2002

Air Injection tube question

78 AMC 360.

I've got leaks around two of the air injection bolts on my J-10. The bolts keep working themselves loose. I've got new washers for both sides, the job looks pretty simple, too simple. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Are the injection tubes still avaliable?

Any ideas why my bolts keep working loose?

I want to be careful because these bolts I don't want to strip or break off.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

78 J10 Longbed (Stock daily driver)
    87 "Garand" Wagoneer (Sunday go to meeting)
    95 "Garand" Cherokee
  • woodybeone
    304 AMC
    • Sep 02, 2001

The tubes are available for around $60.00/pair. The banjo bolts are available too.
    Just soak the bolts with Blaster and they should come out or heat/cold.
    Maybe they were never torqued properly?
    Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

• M1Garandfan
      304 AMC
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by woodybeone:
      The tubes are available for around $60.00/pair. The banjo bolts are available too.
      Just soak the bolts with Blaster and they should come out or heat/cold.
      Maybe they were never torqued properly?
      What are the torque specs?
      "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

78 J10 Longbed (Stock daily driver)
      87 "Garand" Wagoneer (Sunday go to meeting)
      95 "Garand" Cherokee

Comment

• woodybeone
        304 AMC
        • Sep 02, 2001

Right before they twist ? [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Not sure..maybe 35-40ftlbs?
        Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

• Am4wag
          327 Rambler
          • Oct 04, 2004

Be patient with the PB and/or heat.A couple of mine broke off anyways when removing them.Yeah,off w/the manifolds.Thats another topic you hopefully won't have to post.A pointer though,after you remove them,tap the threads in manifold before installing new/good-old ones.....9/16th's N.F.Hope this helps.
          88GW,360,3 angled valves,K8600,1406,TFI,MSD,727,<br />Hurst,NP229.D44\'s,3:31\'s,BJ\'s 4in.,31in.Generals,ProComp alloys.S-10 box,"Swissed" rockers"

Comment

• GWChris
            304 AMC
            • Jan 22, 2005

I just did mine, had to pull the exhaust manifolds cause they were already broken off. They're much cheaper from www.rockauto.com. Get a new check valve while you're at it, they're cheap. You'll have to get new fitting bolts from a Chrysler dealer - ($4 each, I think), as they WILL break off. Not a fun job. I only replaced the tube on the passenger side, I managed to swap the driver's side manifold & tube complete.

Comment

• mechanical man
              350 Buick
              • Dec 24, 2004

I replaced the AIR tubes several years ago with the black painted type you can get everywhere for about $60. They lasted only 2-3 years. When I replaced the engine I found a set through the Jeep dealer that are plated like the originals-they cost $269 for the pair. I am hoping they last like the originals-over 10 years. They also look better with the chromed Thorleys. After 1.5 years they look good still.
              chuck
              87 GW 96 XJ

87 GW, B.J.s 4" lift, 3.92s, ARBs f&r, 32-11.50-15s BFG ATs, Eldebrock Performer/Holley 4160 4bbl, Thorley headers, Z&M HEI, Flowmaster 70 Series, just about everything mechanical rebuilt.

Other drivers: 06 Sequoia, 82 Avanti, 77 Bronco, 78 C-10 Custom Flatbed, 96 XJ-wife's

Comment

• Mike D
                350 Buick
                • Jul 29, 2002

Id like to know what bolt length and size thread to just plug the ports ... i don't need the air injection ...

I must of been blind as a bat to some things when i bought my 72, one is just missing, or its been broken off ....

Iv been looking for the ehaust leak for a week -- new muffler (well pull & save ) -- and i just noticed that one bolt is missing from drivers side !!!!
                While i was putting on a new belt for the A/C -- which seems to work, probably needs charged..... with what?? hummm ....
                Last edited by Mike D; 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM.
                64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                50 truck
                63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• Tripwire
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jul 30, 2000

what kind of washers are you using? OEM and the sought after aftermarket ones are made of copper alloy - they crush easily, seal tight and help hold the bolt in place. I got some copper rings when I was stationed in germany , but for sure you can find them at a GOOD hardware store ( not big box) or on the internet
                  Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

38 ft-lb
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
                    X