• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cory
    304 AMC
    • Nov 01, 2002

Air Pump affect MPGs?

This is only one question of a couple I have...

I bought the bjs exhaust kit, went to install it, and sheared a few bolts off in the manifold off the y-pipe. So while I decide if I want to pull those out, or just toss another used set of manifolds on, I had a few other questions...

to weld, or to clamp exhaust pipe? the previous owner had everything welded. Who ever did the welding did a shoddy job, because the welds ended up being very holey (and not just on sundays). So one would think that by clamping everything, you don't have to worry about the weld joint being the weakest link in the exhaust system.

Next question- to air pump or not to air pump... reading a few threads on here, it would seem if you don't need it, don't use it. But since I got the kit with the cat with an air tube, I should use the air pump, to avoid early deterioration of the cat.

But running the air pump "technically" can affect gas mileage, because it's an add'l accessory being run, correct?

the easy solution would be just to convert everything to clamp, run the air pump till it or the exhaust dies, and just redo it all, with a 3way cat and no air pump...

or is there a simpler solution to something I'm probably making more complicated than it already is?

Either way, now I gotta find a new ypipe, for the exhaust kit I have taking up space on my harley and the garage floor...
    91 Final Edition GW: Stock for now.
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

I replaced mine on my 91 Dodge and lost 4 MPG.
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

It is a very small parasitic load, so yes, it does decrease mileage slightly. But on or off, I predict the effect will be negligible, basically unmeasurable.

IMO their main downside is that they are a maintenance headache. The tubes will rust out and the pump will rust solid if it's not used. If you remove the pump and leave the tubes in place, they will rust out. But if it works, I would definitely keep it. Your truck is new enough that there are jurisdictions where you have to have all the smog equipment, and the truck will be worth more if it all functions.
      Last edited by tgreese; 12-22-2012, 07:57 AM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• will e
        Always Broke
        • Nov 16, 2001

Above advice is good. No real milage difference and some states would check for it. If I was shopping for a replacment waggy a missing pump would be a negative
        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by will e
          Above advice is good. No real milage difference and some states would check for it. If I was shopping for a replacment waggy a missing pump would be a negative
          X2.

You can buy a replacement pump, but it does NOT come with the pulley. You NEED the pulley (of course) to use the pump.
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

I took mine off and went with a high flow cat. The exhaust emission levels dropped and it had more power.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

If you see any mpg improvements it'll be on the east side of the decimal point and not on the west side where it matters. My vehicles usually sit for extended periods and the pumps will freeze up from lack of use so I usually remove them before they go south. Never noticeably improved my mpgs.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

When they are just prior to seizing up, they suck fuel and power from the motor.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Rich88
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by tgreese
                  It is a very small parasitic load, so yes, it does decrease mileage slightly. But on or off, I predict the effect will be negligible, basically unmeasurable.
                  X2. I've run with it on and off. Any claims of meaningful decrease in power or mpg is an exaggeration.
                  Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                  88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                  "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Unless it's seizing up.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by Carnuck
                      Unless it's seizing up.
                      Which only lasts for about 5 minutes because then the belt heats up and breaks. LOL!
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Cory
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 01, 2002

thanks guys. I guess I'll roll with the air pump till it dies!
                        91 Final Edition GW: Stock for now.

Comment

• will e
                          Always Broke
                          • Nov 16, 2001

i picked one up at autozone. When it dies they replace it free.
                          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                            Which only lasts for about 5 minutes because then the belt heats up and breaks. LOL!
                            Mine went on for several weeks and I was concerned about the loss of power, but I had to go to work 16 hours a day. It finally seized while driving on the Trans Canada and nearly stalled the motor before the belt broke and then all the power was back in a flash!

Comment

• serehill
                              Gone,Never Forgotten.
                              • Nov 22, 2009

Really My 2 pennies.

If you don't have to run it don't. While your doing all this stuff get rid of several problems the entire system is how old? The difference like everyone said is not worth worrying about. The issue is the old parts will just cause more issues later. Why keep on dealing with something or wait until it locks up that you'll eventually eliminate. If you do it now trust me something else will take up your time later.
                              Just my opinion. I took all mine off & am real happy I have not had to deal with it again. There's always plenty of other stuff to do.

80 Cherokee
                              360 ci 727 with
                              Comp cams 270 h
                              NP208
                              Edlebrock performer intake
                              Holley 4180
                              Msd total multi spark.
                              4" rusty's springs
                              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
                              X