• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leostevo
    258 I6
    • Jan 27, 2009

What should my manifold vacuum be?

I have the 360 with a Edelbrock Performer Package installed on my motor, to include the carb, intake, exhaust and cam.

I just bought a vacuum gauge and hooked it up to my manifold. It bounced around between 5 and 15. When I revved the motor it moved appropriately but still bounced significantly.

I know that a huge cam will cause lots of bouncing but is the edelbrock performer cut "huge?"

I disconnected/plugged the vacuum bulb at the end of the motor and used the brake hose to hook up my gauge.

I know there is something you can spray around the carb and intake to check for leaks, is it ether/starting fluid? I also adjusted the carb using the guage as my guide and couldn't raise the vacuum any more. I don't have a timing light but I think it was set to about 12' when I installed the motor.
    1990 Grand Wagoneer "Daddy Wagon"

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Edelbrock Performer Intake, Headers, Cam, 1406 Carb, Mallory HEI. No smog. Rusty's 4" all springs. '89 GW wheels, custom painted and wrapped in Maxxis Big Horn 31x10.50, dual 2.25" exhaust outside the frame rails.
  • Jeepguy77
    350 Buick
    • Mar 16, 2008

you can spray water, carb cleaner, brake cleaner etc. while spraying listen for the engine to smooth out and the revs to go up a little.
    Pierce,
    77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• leostevo
      258 I6
      • Jan 27, 2009

I'll try that tomorrow. God I hope the intake is not leaking. . .

Can anyone tell me what I should expect for the idle vacuum? I realize it shouldn't be shaking but how much higher should I expect the vacuum to get with my setup?

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Edelbrock Performer Intake, Headers, Cam, 1406 Carb, Mallory HEI. No smog. Rusty's 4" all springs. '89 GW wheels, custom painted and wrapped in Maxxis Big Horn 31x10.50, dual 2.25" exhaust outside the frame rails.

Comment

• Jeepguy77
        350 Buick
        • Mar 16, 2008

I cant give you a base line for vacuum, since theres a lot of things to consider such as altitude, engine age, etc. you just want to have the highest vacuum reading you can get and a rock steady needle on the gauge.
        Pierce,
        77 J10 454, TH400, D20,

Comment

• ag98gie
          232 I6
          • May 07, 2007

vacuum: http://www.ifsja.org/tech/motors/vacuum.html

timing: http://www.ifsja.org/tech/motors/85timing.html
          88 GW, -most trim + new paint, HEI, 3" rough country suspension lift, 1" body lift, Rear air suspension, 16" rims and 285/75 BFGs
          wi$hing for: gear change, F&R lockers, TBI, NP208 swap, "Solid" rear bumper

Comment

• ag98gie
            232 I6
            • May 07, 2007

At the bottom of the page you are currently viewing is a listing of "similar threads", this is one of them:

I'm in the process of doing a tune-up on my recently aquired 83' Wag (stock & very well worn 360 except for my recent TFI and MSD6A/Blaster upgrade) and decided to replace every one of my vacuum hoses due to major ROT. Well - I found and replaced tons of brittle & cracked hose one by one, and even found one port on the
            88 GW, -most trim + new paint, HEI, 3" rough country suspension lift, 1" body lift, Rear air suspension, 16" rims and 285/75 BFGs
            wi$hing for: gear change, F&R lockers, TBI, NP208 swap, "Solid" rear bumper

Comment

• leostevo
              258 I6
              • Jan 27, 2009

Well, I suppose I could have mentioned that the motor has less than 1000 miles on it and that I am on the coast (about 32ft above sea level).

I understand how to tune it. I was looking for what the maximum vacuum generally is with the edelbrock performer cam. I know that BIG cams will reduce the vacuum and cause needle shake but how BIG does it need to be to be considered such?

I messed with the timing some and got the vacuum up to 16" and I also learned this little tidbit:

A vacuum pump does not have a dampner in it. A vacuum gauge does. Put a small orifice inline before the vacuum pump and you have a dampner.

Now my needle shakes about 1" each way from center. . . Acceptable? Should I still be looking for a leak? I sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake and carb after plugging off all vacuum hoses; no change in engine speed.

So, I suppose the question now is this: Am I looking for a problem where there isn't one?

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Comment

• mattmopar440
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • May 17, 2007

Be very careful with that Brake Clean or Carb clean Method !!!!!!!!

Get that stuff close to your Exhaust system and you'll have more then a Vacuum leak Problem Trust me
                87' Grand Wagoneer
                401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Inferior Chevy

Comment

• leostevo
                  258 I6
                  • Jan 27, 2009

Oh I was very specific about exactly where that stuff went. I thought about the whole fire in the engine compartment thing, but the real care was from not knowing what kind of chemicals might screw up the finish on all my chrome.

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Comment

Working...
                  X