• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danjohnson67
    232 I6
    • Jan 20, 2008

popping noise / front u-joints

I have a popping in the front end that can be heard and felt thru the floor when I turn hard right or left, only seems to do it on hard surfaces, I couldn't find anything loose except I have play in the driveshaft u-joints on both sides. The aren't locked in so they shouldn't be turning but I'm not sure that would rule them out, anyway they need changed. Are those a standard size u-joint like the drive shafts or different? Its an 82 w/360/727/208, D44 front/AMC 20 rear.

Also the steering shaft has a small u-joint on it up clost to the firewall, I do have play in that also, is it possible to repair / replace that one without replacing the whole steering shaft?

Thanks guys

1982 Wagoneer, (The Boatmobile), 360 / 727 / 208, 3.31, Rusty's 4", 31x10.5 Treadwright Guard Dogs
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

Originally posted by danjohnson67
    I have a popping in the front end that can be heard and felt thru the floor when I turn hard right or left, only seems to do it on hard surfaces, I couldn't find anything loose except I have play in the driveshaft u-joints on both sides. The aren't locked in so they shouldn't be turning but I'm not sure that would rule them out, anyway they need changed. Are those a standard size u-joint like the drive shafts or different? Its an 82 w/360/727/208, D44 front/AMC 20 rear.

Also the steering shaft has a small u-joint on it up clost to the firewall, I do have play in that also, is it possible to repair / replace that one without replacing the whole steering shaft?

Thanks guys
    The u-joints still need to turn when you do so if they are shot they could be making noise. You should also check your ball joints as they can pop pretty good when turning if bad. The axle u joints are different then the driveshaft joints but are replaced in the same manner, just more work to do it.

The steering shaft joint is one i've never seen replaced except with a new or used shaft.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

Working...
    X