• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Jeep made Retro Wagoneer at Easter Jeep Safari

Oh dear God this is a gorgeous rig! BKilby sent me a text to google this ride and, Oh man did Jeep nail this build! They did such an awesome job on the flares, especially!
    Chocolate eggs, jelly beans, and Peeps (gross) are on the shelves, which means it must be time to start talking about the 2018 Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah. As is tradition, Jeep is bringing a flotilla of one-off concepts to this year's event and the selection is typically eclectic, mixing impressive craftsmanship with a spread of the company's...

I'm not a fan of the tail lights but the rest of the rig is breath taking. I love the color combo and the wheels. Oh so Beautiful! Thank you Jeep for building/bringing this! I can't wait to see some more pics/videos of this! If I wasn't already married, I would be looking for an engagement ring to propose to this trophy! Thanks for the heads-up, Brad!

Great. Now I can't work anymore. Too busy lusting over these pics.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

It's a beauty for sure. I wish they would have made 2 sets of them flares while making one. Lol.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

More data on it:
      The Easter Jeep Safari concepts just debuted at the brand’s headquarters in Auburn Hills, and the star of the show—by far—is this 1965 Jeep Wagoneer with a Hemi V8 and the most beautiful and tasteful modifications ever done to an old SJ-platform Jeep.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

What? The early 60's tail lights were the first thing Jeep ruined on the Wag when they went to those bulging chrome abominations.

On the other site there's a link to a video where they were calling this a "concept". I find that offensive since there's nothing conceptual about it. They dropped it long ago. Call it what it is, a restoration.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

It's a restomod. Some journalists don't know the difference.
          1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

I also noticed they deleted a line in the rear quarter. If you follow the lower body line on a NT or Wago, it starts at the bumper, goes over the wheel wells, down the lower portion of the doors, up over the rear wheel wells and straight to rear. On WT Cherokee's it a random extra body line behind the rear flare sinec the wheel wells are taller. They also changes the lowest body line from a crease to a line. To see what I am talking about, look at all the lines behind the rear wheels and compare between now and then pics. Looks really clean!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Very nice restomod... no radio antenna... no clock in the glovebox door...

The tailights are period perfect, no potmetal to bubble... it should have been a 3 piece bumper... but at least they kept the manual tailgate...
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Looks like they ruined a nice early Wagoneer to me...

Edit. Not that it looks bad though. Just too bad they cut up an early Wag.
                Thomas Russell
                1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                1971 Gladiator
                J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• SJTD
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by bkilby
                  It's a restomod. Some journalists don't know the difference.
                  Yeah, I know but for some reason I hate that term. Couldn't think of another.
                  Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• DBX11
                    258 I6
                    • May 18, 2009

That is a nice looking bunch of Jeeps. Wonder what happens to the concept cars after they lose their initial flare?

Comment

• mud89
                      304 AMC
                      • Nov 18, 2009

The "before" is like my '65
                      J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• cu4whln
                        304 AMC
                        • May 16, 2008

Originally posted by bkilby
                        It's a beauty for sure. I wish they would have made 2 sets of them flares while making one. Lol.
                        NOPE. Brad, you be out of luck .. lol Next, you'll be wanting the paint code too ! Ha ha ha ...

These "concept" builds are to honor Jeep history .. AND - there is a reason when we spend this kind of money on builds like this. Looking for reactions from the market and teasing if Jeep should venture into this market again.

One of the big differences of these they are true functional driving vehicles, not just show vehicles. The press will get to drive and wheel these at Jeep Safari.

This thing was a VERY nice original Waggy .. the metal was phenomenal when stripped down. In some respects its hard to modify an original, but any one of us could have bought it off Craig's list... That's where it came from.

Lots of subtle mods.. 5' of wheelbase added, link coils all around, 35" tires, Hemi, rockers are beefed up to be rock rails, It drives GREAT.
                        It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                        1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                        1972 J4000
                        1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                        2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                        2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by cu4whln
                          Lots of subtle mods.. 5' of wheelbase added, link coils all around, 35" tires, Hemi, rockers are beefed up to be rock rails, It drives GREAT.
                          I am really curious if it sits on the original frame.
                          Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• yossarian19
                            258 I6
                            • Nov 13, 2016

Oh, man... I'm getting all sweaty and kind of nauseous. I want that thing bad

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by yossarian19
                              Oh, man... I'm getting all sweaty and kind of nauseous. I want that thing bad
                              RIGHT?!?!?!
                              These "concept" builds are to honor Jeep history .. AND - there is a reason when we spend this kind of money on builds like this. Looking for reactions from the market and teasing if Jeep should venture into this market again.
                              You guys built this one, too? Your yellow '79 is one of the reasons I decided to get a FSJ.
                              One of the stories or videos I have seen on this Wago specifically mentioned trying to stir up buzz since the Wagoneer name will return in 2020. I respect what KaiserMan is saying but see why this was made. A fully restored Wagoneer would not make nearly the buzz this rig will. We all have our own tastes and KaiserMan's is original, mine is pretty much this (subtle changes to an original body, modern drivetrain/suspension).

Do you have any idea what will happen to this rig in the coming years? Any way it can signed over to me so I can make some roadtrips in it?
                              Can you do a post event build thread on it? I assume you guys have pictures, right? I would love to see how you guys did the rockers/Rock rails. What flares did you guys start with (they don't look like massaged factory Jeep flares)? Are they metal or fiberglass? Did you guys do the tool box, too? How did you attach the bumper (I don't see any bolts)? I notice it has 5 bolt hubs and D44; I assume they are not WT Cherokee axles. How did you get the additional 5" of wheel base in (I assume some in the front, some in the rear)? Did you have to move wheel well openings? What trans/Xfer case (all I have seen is "4speed auto")? SO many questions!!!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X