X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan Rogers
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2020

I finally received the radiator. I installed it and let the engine warm up. It runs all on it's own now and doesn't die when I press the accelerator. I took the video from outside the garage because the smoke coming from this thing is horrendous... I imagine a combination of 5 year old fuel, Marvel Mystery Oil, and some Sea Foam fogger sum up most of the contributors. There is quite a bit of smoke coming from either side of the engine, too. I think there are some spilled fluids on there. I wish I could have done this all outside but it is not very practical at the moment. I had a big fire extinguisher ready to go, just in case.

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

Nice job!
      Hey, I'm feeling a lot better going on 7 weeks after my surgery so let me know if you want to get together at some point and shoot the .
      I'm hoping to get in the garage tomorrow and restart on my own build.
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Heck yeah!!! Way to WIN!!!!! So awesome!!!!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
          232 I6
          • Oct 05, 2020

IT MOVES!!!

I am so excited! I bled the brake lines again (properly) and they work! I backed out of the garage and around the block I went in this boat. I don't know if the front end felt soooo loose because of the missing frame section or if it is from really low tire pressure or maybe bad steering components. It is the loosest front end I have ever felt, that is for sure.

Comment

• FleetFox
            258 I6
            • Apr 04, 2018

Nice going! Just take everything 1 piece at a time. From the driving video, it appears assessing the front steering components might be next on your list!

Pysched for you,

Fleet Fox

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Totally agree with Fleet Fox. Don't just throw parts at it and don't go nuts fixing tons of things. just fix the big things here and there and enjoy it. Steering should be pretty easy.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                304 AMC
                • Jul 25, 2016

I felt like I was riding in the truck with you,....

and we got loose on the straight-away,.....wooaaahhhhh.

driveway only for now.........

get that frame/steering fixed.

dave in NC
                SOLSAKS - dave
                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                1988 grand wagoneer
                2004 RUBICON jeep
                Benson, NC

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 05, 2020

Originally posted by MysticRob
                  Nice job!
                  Hey, I'm feeling a lot better going on 7 weeks after my surgery so let me know if you want to get together at some point and shoot the...
                  Hey Rob, I am happy to know you're recovering well! I look forward to meeting up sometime soon!

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  Heck yeah!!! Way to WIN!!!!! So awesome!!!!
                  Hey Rang, I appreciate your excitement! I feel it myself, too!

Originally posted by FleetFox
                  Nice going! Just take everything 1 piece at a time. From the driving video, it appears assessing the front steering components might be next on your list!

Pysched for you,

Fleet Fox
                  Fleet Fox, thank you! One piece at a time is definitely the plan. I'm hoping to keep a tight budget on this thing so I have resources for other stuff! My main project is an '86 Astro Aerolite: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopi...f=127&t=141234 , which is what consumes most of my energy.

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                  I felt like I was riding in the truck with you,....
                  and we got loose on the straight-away,.....wooaaahhhhh.
                  driveway only for now.........
                  get that frame/steering fixed.
                  dave in NC
                  Hey Dave, getting loose on a straight-away is a great way to put it haha. I'm hoping to weld in a new piece within the next few weeks. I am hoping a friend of mine has a section of rectangle tubing I can use for it.

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 05, 2020

Big Day!

I decided to fire it up to check the coolant temp while warming up and see how it would idle. I felt a little inspired so I drove around the block (5-10MPH) about five times, with a big fire extinguisher and a tow strap riding shot-gun. I stalled two or three times before figuring out where to set the flange on the carb (what is the flange called? the choke?).

It was running consistently but did not like when I pressed the accelerator and would bog down if I did so. It would drive well without giving any throttle, so I decided to take it to a gas station three blocks away.

This allowed me to finally dilute the 5 year old fuel which plagued it's belly. I don't know what was living in the fuel filler tube, but there must have been something because I had to trickle fuel until it was washed down enough for it to flow (not ideal haha). I topped it off, hit a couple of speed bumps, and all of a sudden it ran really well!

I kept it slow and decided to go to another gas station three more blocks away to get some air in the tires. I drove it with a bit more confidence and noticed a pretty good improvement in steadiness with appropriately filled tires.

My last adventure before heading to work was going to a car wash about six blocks away. I took lightly traffic'ed side streets just incase I experienced any problems. I made it all the way there with no issues, good coolant temp, and good oil pressure. I hosed down all the dried up brush which found its way into every nook and cranny on the Jeep and blasted most of the animal nests out of the engine bay as well as cleaned up a lot of the grime coating the steering components.

I am feeling pretty good about the progress on it so far. Feeling it drive and run autonomously was really encouraging.

Above are some photos of today's adventures!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 19, 2003

This is a cool build thread, You have made some real good progress in a short period. The pics are cool too. Keep us updated.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

I agree! I get all excited when I see updates here! What a HUGE difference in your engine bay! That flange is the choke. It should be just wide open when the engine is operating temp and fully closed when the engine is cold.

That bogging when you touch the gas probably has to do with either a carb rebuild or your timing signal to your distributor. Once you get your steering all sorted out, those are next. Both are easy and cheap but time consuming.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

cool

you drove it even more !..... dang !

I admire the fact you are not afraid to work on it

I love it when any vehicle is brought back to life

when most others would never try...

looking good.

this wagoneer found a good home.

dave in NC
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 05, 2020

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                            This is a cool build thread, You have made some real good progress in a short period. The pics are cool too. Keep us updated.
                            Thank you, Widetrac! I'm glad you are enjoying the thread! I certainly will keep updating.

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                            I agree! I get all excited when I see updates here! What a HUGE difference in your engine bay! That flange is the choke. It should be just wide open when the engine is operating temp and fully closed when the engine is cold.

That bogging when you touch the gas probably has to do with either a carb rebuild or your timing signal to your distributor. Once you get your steering all sorted out, those are next. Both are easy and cheap but time consuming.
                            Thank you for the info, Rang! I was operating it the complete opposite way haha. The bogging has subsided with the implementation of your knowledge. No wonder it wasn't running well haha... I wasn't choking it at start (in below freezing temps) and was choking it after it had already heated up...

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                            cool
                            you drove it even more !..... dang !
                            I admire the fact you are not afraid to work on it
                            I love it when any vehicle is brought back to life
                            when most others would never try...
                            looking good.
                            this wagoneer found a good home.
                            dave in NC
                            Thanks, Dave! I really appreciate your warmth!

Comment

• Dylan Rogers
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 05, 2020

Update

With the use of some valuable knowledge from Rang, the Wagoneer now starts and runs really well! I was operating the choke in the opposite way as it is intended (open when cold & closed while hot)... *Rookie mistake*

The vehicle handles much better with fully inflated tires and no longer feels like a tin can on ice. I synched up the exhaust pipe to eliminate a squeak when it would rub one of the rear shocks and really am enjoying some short trips around the neighborhood! I also changed the oil and learned something new about the crankcase breather (it's also the oil filler). I was very lost when I couldn't find an oil filler spot!

I am taking it out into nature today to photograph it and take a few drone shots before listing it for sale. I figure it functions well but needs a lot of restoring, which seems great for someone interested in an old project vehicle in running and driving condition. I feel I have done my part in keeping this old beauty alive and out of the grave, which we have lost so many old vehicles to...

I checked out the classifieds on here and realize there are some really affordable options on occasion and if I'm in need of a clean Wagoneer in the future, I'll know where to go!

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 25, 2016

dang

I was looking forward to more work by you on the fsj.

it will prob sell well.

on to the next project I guess.....

dave in NC
                                SOLSAKS - dave
                                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                                1988 grand wagoneer
                                2004 RUBICON jeep
                                Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X