• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csread
    232 I6
    • Sep 09, 2000

Tailgate help

My 89 GW tailgate will unlatch on only one side.would appreciate any info on procedure to release without use of explosives.
  • Dean
    258 I6
    • Apr 09, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csread:
    My 89 GW tailgate will unlatch on only one side.would appreciate any info on procedure to release without use of explosives. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember right when I had this problem ('78 Wag) I was able to reach down along side the window and trip the latch with a long screwdriver, or was it pull up with a pc of wire, anyhow I could see the latch between the glass and the side of the gate.

------------------
    '78 Wagoneer Limited
    401/Q-trac W/low range
    Stock for now.........
    '78 Wagoneer Limited, 401/Q-trac W/low range. Mods so far, carter 4 bbl., rancho 3" lift, rancho RS5000 & RS9000,GB ign upgrade. '85 GW now with reverse, but great body. Donor rigs, '84 GW, '78 J20.

Comment

• Ralph
      Third Member
      • Apr 11, 2000

There are metal arms extending from the center handle mechanism to either side of the tailgate, which activate the spring-loaded latches. The arms were originally covered with cloth for rigidity, but the cloth frazzles and the metal arms get bent anyway. I solved this by removing them and having 1/4" rods spot-welded on them.

Anyway, to solve your instant problem, just open the window all the way and reach down with a long screw driver and trip the latch; that is, mimic the action that the metal arm would cause. Take a look and you'll see what I mean.

Once you've got it open, get some WD40 and spray it in there, something you should do periodically. But, in addition to strengthening the rods as I noted above, there is also a tendency for the inner tailgate panel itself to fatigue and crack, which makes latch problems even worse.
      We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
        350 Buick
        • Jul 03, 2000

He he he thats kinda funny.. nothing stronger than a piece of steel with some cloth wrapped around it. It would be cool to be the guy at AMC that had to wind the cloth around the rods..

------------------
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        D44's front\rear
        Warn 20990 Lockouts
        AMC 360
        TF 727
        NP 229 (Funky)
        Custom Hacking Via S.P.A. (Standard Polish Archetecture)
        88 Rusting mound
        79 Rusting mound

Comment

Working...
        X