• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prime
    232 I6
    • Apr 19, 2009

SOA, Steering ?????

Gentleman
    First of I want to apologice if this topic has been beat to death but I couldnt find anything on it

I am getting a SOA kit from a buddy this weekend for my Chief.

1: My question is when I install this thing on my front axel am I goin to have to install a cross over steering kit which Bjs says its required? or can I just install a drop pitman arm and be ok???

$$$$ is a little tight and I could use saving as much as possible and since I may not stay with the D44s I would hate to spend the $$$ on something I may not even keep.
    Any help would be greatly appreciate and again I am sorry if this topic is been wore out. Thanks
    Jesus is the only way!
  • Chief Gunner
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 10, 2006

In my opinion, you will need some type of cross over or hi steer setup. There are two issues you have to take into consideration with a SOA lift. The first is bump steer. The goal is to have the tie rod and drag link as close to parallel as possible. When the two are parallel, then they travel on the same plane and all is good. when you start to bring the two out of parallel, you start inducing bump steer. If you drive on road only, then bump steer may not be too much of a problem, but off road, then you might run into issues. The second issue at play iswith the actual drag link. When I did my SOA, the first thing I noticed was that without a cross steer setup, the drag link would hit the passenger side spring pack when turning to the right. If you are going to do a SOA lift, then tackle the steering at the same time. Depending on your fab skills/ access to tools, it can be done on the cheap. The BJ's kit seems to be simple and straight forward. I went a different route that required more shopping and searching, but for me that was part of the fun and I learned quite a bit as I ended up doing quite a bit of research.
    The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
    Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
    WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• cajun_lad
      350 Buick
      • Feb 17, 2006

If $$$ is tight, you can try a DPA. The PO ran SOA setup on my GW w/o any steering mods, even a stock pitman arm. Drove it that way for quite some time. Especially if you are planning an axle swap in the near future. I will say this, if you do go full high steer or crossover on your d44, you can almost get that money back later when you swap axles. I'd say run a DPA for now, and you'll find out soon enough whether or not you are happy with it.
      Joey
      Jeep-Less

Comment

• Prime
        232 I6
        • Apr 19, 2009

Thank yall, now I am not goin to Offroad this thing anytime soon now that I think about it I dont see me driving it either it just sit most of the time and look pretty.

Gunner, I have a Passenger drop axle so do you think it will still make contact at full turn???

Cajun, Hey brother now I dont want to sound dumb but what is a PDA????

I figured I could always use a drop pit where I Cross steering is a little out of my $$$ and dont want to try to sell it later to get my money back and I really dont have access to fab equipment or common sence at this tyme to Fab something up. I apreciate yalls help. Thank yall
        Jesus is the only way!

Comment

• YJ-4BT
          232 I6
          • May 13, 2010

Originally posted by Prime
          Cajun, Hey brother now I dont want to sound dumb but what is a PDA????
          I'm thinking you meant DPA meaning drop pitman arm

Comment

• cajun_lad
            350 Buick
            • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by YJ-4BT
            I'm thinking you meant DPA meaning drop pitman arm
            Made me do a double check, but yeah, D-P-A (not PDA) = Drop Pitman Arm.
            Joey
            Jeep-Less

Comment

• Chief Gunner
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 10, 2006

Gunner, I have a Passenger drop axle so do you think it will still make contact at full turn???
              My rig is a drivers side drop, so there might be some differences, but I don't think so. the issue that I saw on mine should be universal. Once you do the SOA, the stock steering set up puts the tie rod below the spring pack with your drag link intercepting the tie rod close to the inside of the passenger side spring pack. The cross over steering set up moves the drag link above the spring pack so that you never have to worry about binding. Now this is the area that I am a little unsure of and might not affect you. When I was looking at my set up, my jeep was at full droop meaning the leaf springs has zero load on them. Once I put the tires back on and set the Jeep on it's own weight, that might not have been as much of a problem. Like what was said before, if you are only street driving it, you might be able to get away with just a DPA (Drop Pitman Arm). If you go that route, just be mindful of the potential for bump steer. Just something to think about and research. Above all, research and ask questions. I ended up searching, learning, and asking questions for almost a year before I felt comfertable with my course of action (I r a rok). Take your time and make sure your plan is what you want but be flexible enough to adjust your plan when it doesn't quite work the way you want.
              The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
              Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
              WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• Prime
                232 I6
                • Apr 19, 2009

Thank you gunny, I am real unsure about which axles am goin to wind up with so thats my reasoning for trying to cheap out plus $$$ is a little tight right now. Plus with my buddy hooking me up on the SOA set up and me having a extra set of 35s that I been itching to install I am ready to do this
                Now Cajun I am sorry about the mix up, after all I only have a Jefferson Parish education (NOLA) But thank yall, I will be installing the SOA and drop pitman arm. I will be documenting it and taking pictures I will post.
                Jesus is the only way!

Comment

• cajun_lad
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 17, 2006

Now Cajun I am sorry about the mix up, after all I only have a Jefferson Parish education (NOLA) But thank yall, I will be installing the SOA and drop pitman arm. I will be documenting it and taking pictures I will post.
                  No prob... my edu'macation came from East Baton Rouge Parish. Just sayin'
                  Joey
                  Jeep-Less

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

This is my first solution.
                    Just a custom draglink used the OE tie rod and pitman arm.
                    Worked great, but there was bump steer.

This is my current solution. X over steering with the proper knuckles, used the OE tie rod, pitman arm, and draglink.

Ken's:
                    1966 Super Wagoneer
                    5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
                    (Soon to be TBI)
                    "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• cajun_lad
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by Kenall

This is my current solution. X over steering with the proper knuckles, used the OE tie rod, pitman arm, and draglink.

That's a Full high steer setup. Cross over steering would leave the tie rod in the stock location, and only use a high steer arm on the pass side to connect the drag link to the pitman arm.
                      Joey
                      Jeep-Less

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

Originally posted by cajun_lad
                        That's a Full high steer setup. Cross over steering would leave the tie rod in the stock location, and only use a high steer arm on the pass side to connect the drag link to the pitman arm.
                        ah..i didnt like THAT version as it seemed to me to place too much strain on the single knuckle to turn both tires.
                        Ken's:
                        1966 Super Wagoneer
                        5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
                        (Soon to be TBI)
                        "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• PNW79J10
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 27, 2011

to do my custom lift, I didn't go with SOA because of the steering arm/ leafspring issue, and I didn't have the money for a crossover. so I just put a 4" block between the front spring mount and the frame and welded it in i did have to go with the Drop pitman arm though

Last edited by PNW79J10; 04-29-2011, 06:16 PM.
                          1979 J10 short-bed
                          360,D44's 3.54,T18, D20
                          1963 J200 Step-side ~ new project

Photobucket account: http://s1142.beta.photobucket.com/us...uture%20wishes

Comment

• serehill
                            Gone,Never Forgotten.
                            • Nov 22, 2009

OMG

Now I'm really glad I did SUA Thanks guys.

80 Cherokee
                            360 ci 727 with
                            Comp cams 270 h
                            NP208
                            Edlebrock performer intake
                            Holley 4180
                            Msd total multi spark.
                            4" rusty's springs
                            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Prime
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 19, 2009

Thank yall very much, I asked around here and yall should see some of the stuff they are coming up with but its ok, I think I have a plan
                              Jesus is the only way!

Comment

Working...
                              X