• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 72wag
    232 I6
    • Jan 16, 2001

hood release mount when switching to a rhino grill

i just got my rhino grill today and will be installing it tomorrow. from reading some of the past threads and readers pages, i've discovered that before you close the hood, after installing the new grill, you must fabricate some sort of hood release lever or something that you can reach with the rhino grill on.

unfortunately, i haven't been able to find an actual picture of one, or a detailed description. if anyone has done this and can give me a few pointers i'd be grateful.

i dont' know how different the hood catches are on the different year vehicles, but mine has two hood connections, one on either side of the radiator, which have springs on them. on the hood, there are two corresponding latches, which are connected by a rod that has a tab welded to it in the center front of the hood. when you lift this tab, it turns the rod and undoes the hood latches. i don't have access to a welder or anything fancy, so if there is a way to do it kinda ghetto style for now, that would suit me just fine.

thanks for the help guys.
    72Wag<br />-------------------------<br />Cameron<br />1972 Wagoneer<br />360/2bbl/th400/twin stick d20/<br />31x10.5/15 Pro Comp MT\'s on AE 589\'s<br />Rhino Grill<br />Custom Dash
  • mdill
    Gone. Not Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2000

The hood release as near as I can tell has been
    the same, the only differance is how the the rod
    gets turned, The Origional rhino release was though
    a hole in the valance between the radiator and the
    grill. If you want a rhino style release let me
    know, I have one that I will never use brought it
    to do a conversion on mine, but with a later style
    cable release I see no reason to swap it over.

Mike D.
    -----------------------------------------
    Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
    1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
    1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
    1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
    1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
    And the other stuff that gets driven
    ----------------------------------------

Comment

• 72wag
      232 I6
      • Jan 16, 2001

mdill,
      thanks, i might take you up on buying that if i can't figure out a way to make it work. i still haven't taken the original grill off to see what space is available to rig something, but if it turns out to be as simple as screwing a length of bar stock onto the old lever or something, i'll do that.
      72Wag<br />-------------------------<br />Cameron<br />1972 Wagoneer<br />360/2bbl/th400/twin stick d20/<br />31x10.5/15 Pro Comp MT\'s on AE 589\'s<br />Rhino Grill<br />Custom Dash

Comment

• sunliner
        232 I6
        • Mar 30, 2004

You say your release lever is in the center of the hood? It's to the right of where a rhino grill would be on my '89. Maybe you can just scavenge a later model piece from a junkyard.
        <a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/sunliner\" target=\"_blank\">\'89 Grand Wagoneer</a> -- Generally unnamed; sometimes known as \"That F-----g P.O.S. Jeep\". -- currently DOA.<br />\'99 Volvo S70 -- Safety Brick to haul kids in.<br />\'79 Yamaha XS650 -- The \"crumple zone\" is ME.

Comment

• mdill
          Gone. Not Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2000

On a 89, I don't think I would do anything,
          your hood has a cable release, so there
          should be no issue. the issue is for those
          who lose access to the release arm because of
          the grill opening being different. Since
          the cable release setup requires no grill
          access you should be set.

Mike D.
          -----------------------------------------
          Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
          1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
          1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
          1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
          1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
          And the other stuff that gets driven
          ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Bob Davis '80 Chero

Check your PM's. I know the '85 release from inside has the catch to the right (driver's side) and the lever release on my '80 is in the center. I converted the '85 hood w/ inside release to the '80 style lever release. I had to cut the valance release and weld in the lever release; and bolt in the old style hood release bar. Pretty straight forward change. My concern is converting the valance catch for 72 wag.

Comment

• Don in Missouri
              258 I6
              • Aug 11, 2002

I put a Gladiator grill on my '86. It has the cable release, but there is a paddle on the bottom of the cross shaft that you can push on through the grill to open it. It takes a skiny hand or a stick. You might look to see if yours will open that way. It took me a long time to realize it was there. When you open the hood, there is a sqaure cut out of the sheetmetal that lise flat in front of the radiator-the place you lay wrenches when you are working under there. you reach through the grill and up through that hole to push on the cross shaft and open the hood.
              <a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine\" target=\"_blank\">www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks\" target=\"_blank\">www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks</a>

Comment

• 72wag
                232 I6
                • Jan 16, 2001

don,
                yeah, that's what i have, the little tab. i don't have a remote hood release. i just got home from work and i'm going to go take off the old grill and see what i can figure out. if i just have to stick a screwdriver or mini crowbar through the slats on the rhino grill to make it work, then that's fine -- i carry all those things with me anyway. i'll post an update later on today and let you all know what i found out.

thanks for the ideas and advice.

Comment

• 72wag
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 16, 2001

well, i got it installed and it looks great -- i'll post pics tomorrow night. i fixed the latch release problem, temporarily, by removing my broken hood ornament and hooking a cord to the release lever, which is directly below the mounting holes for the hood ornament. it looks kinda ghetto, but it works. i'm thinking i'll get a unique metal hinged thing of some sort that i can either push down or pull up and hook a cable instead of a wire to the release lever -- it'll look like a hood ornament, but really be the hood release.

thanks for all the help and ideas guys.

Comment

• Sambo
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Sep 25, 2001

on my 77 the release is in the center.so i cut a hole in the radiator support and heated,then turned the lever 90* down thru the hole...works fine so far and been like that for over a yr now...
                    77 chero DEAD.
                    84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

Working...
                    X