• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aatcman
    258 I6
    • Apr 10, 2006

AMC 727 overdrive idea

Hi,

I was hoping somebody here could help me determine the feasibility of an idea that just dawned on me.

Basically, I think I figured out how to make the common Dodge 727 - 518 swap work for us AMC guys.

Since we can't just bolt in a 518 (bell housing wont fit) I've been leaving the idea of overdrive alone since the external ones are SOOOOOOOOO expensive, but some recent research has shown the possibility that there may be a simple soultion:

Since the 518 is really just a 727 with a different tail housing (its just fatter so it can hold an overdrive unit), why can't I buy a used 518 from a 4x4 dodge p/u the junk yard and bolt the tail housing (and overdrive unit within it) onto my AMC 727 in place of the current tail housing?

It seems that it should be a simple thing to do since:

1. The tail housing both use the same flange / bolt locations

2. The valve body is NOT changed in any way -- as far as I can tell
    ---The O/D unit is electrically operated with a solinoid
    ---The only difference is that fluid gets to the overdrive for lubrication somehow.

3. Although the solinoid is meant to be controlled by a specially modified engine computer, there are lots of writeups on a simple pressure switch arrangement that should work well to controll it instead.

4. The 518 is said to only be about 2" longer then the 727 (in 4x4 form, anyway) so new u-joints are in order, but I don't think the flex change will be a problem.

So, my question is, what do you guys think about this idea? Keep in mind, I don't have any problem with chaging the output shaft if neccessary or with any of the selective thrust washers involved, etc...

I am rebuilding my 727 at the current time anyway, so it seems like a good time to do this now.

Thanks for any / all input!!

d)
    Just my 2 Cents (Good grief!! Even my weedeater laughs at me now!! Silly gas prices!)

1986 Grand Wagoneer (225xxx)

1988 Comanche Pioneer (215xxx)
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Mike "RISTOW" is the resident gorilla on this one

i started this project a couple months ago,was going to give it to Zack for a few articles in FSJ magazine,but since that magazine is gone,and the new regime doesn't want multiple feature tech articles,i thought i'd share it with you guys. i've been wanting an o/d tranny for a while in the wag,and i dislike the turbo700,it's
    Last edited by bigun; 04-28-2007, 04:33 PM.
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

the tailhousings will not swap,there are extensive modifications to the back area where the governor is on the 727,vs the 518.completely different bolt pattern as well.

the 4x4 518 will be 9 inches longer.

here's mine-done but un-tested.

i started this project a couple months ago,was going to give it to Zack for a few articles in FSJ magazine,but since that magazine is gone,and the new regime doesn't want multiple feature tech articles,i thought i'd share it with you guys. i've been wanting an o/d tranny for a while in the wag,and i dislike the turbo700,it's

oop,-bigun already posted the link.
      Last edited by Ristow; 04-28-2007, 04:55 PM.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• bigun
        • Feb 10, 2003

So mike why is it untested, what is the hold up?
        charlie
        KB0HXA
        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
        congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
        Robert A. Heinlein
        The birth of CROM is recorded here
        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

the biggest reason is the '91 doesn't get driven as much anymore,and also,is the only 4 door we have,so i can't tear it apart,with 3 boys,3 and under,y'know.

so,now i think i'm going to put the J20 axles and the 518 in my '83 cherokee.

a 3/4 ton cherokee with overdrive!

this summer....

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

Originally posted by bigun
            So mike why is it untested, what is the hold up?
            Biggest reason is: Ristow has been showing up in the IRC #FSJ chat room wasting all his wrenching time.
            Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
            Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
              Biggest reason is: Ristow has been showing up in the IRC #FSJ chat room wasting all his wrenching time.

YOU TOLD!!!

Comment

• Tigger4X
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 16, 2001

RISTOW ... This really sounds like it will work for the 727 and that is awesome. Overdrive just can't be beat in my book!

My question is ... Is there any way to make something LIKE this work for a TH400 I'm almost tempted to go manual w/an NV4500 just to get the 17% (or was it 27%??) OD it gives, not to mention the really steep 1st gear of at least 5.62 BUT this mod would be kinda spendy so I am hoping for something to modify my TH400.

THANKS in advance!!
                Originally posted by will e
                Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
                Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

Working...
                X