Custom Relay'd headlight harnesses. 217 sold so far.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

hello Zorm

Yes I have some of these on Cherokees & Comanche's operating today. The wire is slightly too long but that is nothing. The Fog /Driving light is universal & will work on all instarlls. the connection to the battery is a little different but require nothing different to connect.

I'll PM my contact info to you.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• McCavity
      232 I6
      • Jul 12, 2005

Got my package late last week and it looks fantastic hanging in my garage. I will be installing it this weekend and am looking forward to it.

One question about the long red wire (unfused). This is the power line to the fog lights?

Thanks,

Mike
      Mike
      '83 Wagoneer 360 CID (parts coming off daily - donor)
      '85 GW 360/727/229 (my DD)
      '85 GW 360/727/229 (my new baby)
      '84 GW 360 CID (rebuilt and sold)
      '06 Commander 4.7 L (dropped in the Port of Tema [Ghana] - the best thing to ever happen to it)

"There are no dumb questions, just some that should not be asked in public"

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Nope the power wire has the circuit breaker on it they are all fused.

The wire you're talking about is the fog light driver light connection.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

What bulbs do I buy ???? I need a number of type I need.. I take it is a 9003 series but what about the following numbers ? Is it a EB , HB, H4 or what?
          I'm starting to feel pretty ignorant here but I 'm at a loss. The lights you sent have no markings at all.
          Is there any directions or do I have to read through 10 pages of post to find it. I would guess the directions on page 1 still hold true. I don't want to get part way into this and have to quit on it for parts.

Left side is passenger side and right side is drivers side?

Mainly I just need to know what bulbs to buy..
          Last edited by HOOT; 10-05-2014, 03:12 PM.
          Tom Gibson
          1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
          1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
          1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
          2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

well

Yes the directions are in the post which can be printed they are not hard to follow.
            The bulbs I threw in for free are H-4 I didn't charge for them they are some I acquired with a housing. I did recommend the silver stars & they would be H-4's also. I'll be glad to assist & I'll resend my phone number to help support any questions you may have.

The relays mount on the right side (passenger side) I think I might have confused that in one of the articles.
            The wire then runs through the grill in front of the radiator support to the right side. These can be seen in post #51.
            I also just now sent the post #51 to you via Email.

The silver star number is Sylvania H4 ST. These are the bulbs for the housings you bought.
            The 7x6 square silver star would be Sylvania H6054. These would be for the late model with square headlights. Ones where you did not buy housing but wanted regular bulbs, which I don't believe you have since you told me you bought the housings.
            Early model 7" round headlights would be 34409 Sylvania. Just for full reference.

Install would be:
            Remove the headlights & unplug old wiring.
            Install new harness by threading the left side controller & socket from the right headlight location to the left headlight socket.
            Take the fused wires & run them through the header panel to the starter relay. Connect the fused wire to the solenoid battery side.
            Connect the ground to any ground source. The process will be to use a self tapping screw & mount the provided lug to the header panel. Also there are already existing places there for other grounds for parking & side markers & headlights. You can mount the grounds to these places or create a new spot witha self tapping screw.

Go to the right side & connect the black wire from the socket to any ground as described above. Then plug the new supplied socket to the headlamp & re-assemble.
            You can tape up the old socket but it will not be used on the right side.

The Left is a little different because you will have to mount the relay (easy)
            Also on the left there is a male plug that simply plugs into the original headlight plug & tape together. (pictured later) Then connect the black ground wire to ground same as right side. Then connect the new (yellow) socket to the bulb.
            Run the wire with the fuse on it to the solenoid & connect it to the battery side of the solenoid. Mount the fuse hoder optional But receommended.
            Mount the headlight back & your done.
            The wiring will be marked right & left sockets.

In the post there are pictures & other information. I tried to make it as simple as I could I can send you all the same information if that is what you would like for me to do. Please let me know what else I can do to help you.

Post # 51 &# 28 Have all the install info. 51 is all you really need. My apologies if this is complicated it was not intended to be. We have sold over 300 this way.
            ease of installation is my primary goal please let me know what else I can do to assist.

Thanks Tom.
            Last edited by serehill; 10-05-2014, 03:59 PM.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs

Comment

• Achilles
              350 Buick
              • May 12, 2004

serehill which H4 head light housings are you using? What do you think about these http://www.ebay.com/itm/351057800763
              Last edited by Achilles; 10-05-2014, 06:50 PM.
              Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
              MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
              Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

Basically the first set are the ones you have these are just ones I saved.

HIDor Halogens on the cheap but work OK.
                Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 7" X 6" Square Clear Diamond Cut Upgrade Replacement Head Lights Lamps H6054 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

DOT compliant for HID & Halogens:

The ones I have in the J10. Not quite as bright as the first one but works good. These are more forward projecting. Narrower cut off. This set & the first set project further than the DOT set. With HID I prefer these.

if you decide to go HID I'll be glad to convert them. The new ones come with the junk Chinese single relay & I'll convert them to work with your harness for free if you cover postage. Finding them without the relay is possible but getting harder everyday. The single relays are junk if anything happens they will completely quit where double relays still will work. High beams work if something goes wrong with the low.
                Last edited by serehill; 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs

Comment

• Achilles
                  350 Buick
                  • May 12, 2004

Thanks serehill went with the DOT set!!!
                  Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
                  MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
                  Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

So these are what I need?
                    Tom Gibson
                    1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
                    1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.

Comment

• serehill
                      Gone,Never Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2009

YUP

yes sir

80 Cherokee
                      360 ci 727 with
                      Comp cams 270 h
                      NP208
                      Holley 4180
                      Msd total multi spark.
                      4" rusty's springs

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

great..

I want to drive this truck again but it needs the headlight stuff done to it as I drive 80% at night.
                        Maybe if the rain will hold off I can get back to it.
                        Tom Gibson

Comment

• serehill
                          Gone,Never Forgotten.
                          • Nov 22, 2009

Good Luck Tom

Call me if you need to.

80 Cherokee
                          360 ci 727 with
                          Comp cams 270 h
                          NP208
                          Holley 4180
                          Msd total multi spark.
                          4" rusty's springs

Comment

• bluehwy
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 28, 2014

'79 Wagoneer I want to add fog lights in a custom bumper

I'm interested in a setup!

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• bigwoody
                              258 I6
                              • Oct 12, 2001

I would like a harness. I sent you a pm.
                              HI MY NAME IS AL AND I'M A JEEPOHOLIC
                              83,87,88 GW..79 J10

Comment

• HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Well I finally put mine in today in the rain. 5" of snow by morning means this truck better be ready. At least I now have lights. Big bright beautiful lights. This kit worked great.. I paired it with a set of the square glass housings mentioned a few post back and Sylvania bulbs.

THE FOLLOWING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS RELAY SYSTEM

I do have to figure out what is up with the circuit as my lights stay on bright unless turned off be the switch. This was going on before the install. I have a new dash switch here but the weather is not cooperating. Should I expect it to go away with a new dash switch? This is a "new to me"1985 J10 truck so I don't know much history of it at all..

Anyone else have this issue here. Pull switch lights come on normal.When I turn on the brights they come on , low beams go out, and will remain on even if I click them off. When I do click them off I can tell the low beams are firing again as well as the brights. To make bright lights go away I have to turn off lights and then turn back on.

Any thoughts....need to try and give my diesel a rest the next two days as temps plummet to the teens.
                                Tom Gibson

Comment

Working...
                                X