• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by 4x4Dad
    I've got factory cruise too, which is why it doesn't work.
    Glass inline fuse is blown? they hide it behind the cluster.
    That's what was wrong with cruise on both my '88 & '90 when I bought them.

I have tailight socket/bucket deals and wiring if you need?
    Came from an '89 been sitting in the garage for years and years now.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 4x4Dad
      258 I6
      • Aug 19, 2008

So back to my brake issue. I had my head up inside the dash cluster by the brake pedal, pushing it with my head as I moved some wiring around. I discovered that as I hit the brake pedal, the light above the dash gauges came on.

As part of my problem solving diagnosis, I turned the driving lights on, which turned the light on above the dash gauges. With the driving lights on, when I hit the brake pedal, the clock doesn't go off as it did before, the light above the dash stays on, and my brake lights still don't work, but the rear side lights on the fenders light up.

I'm getting rather confused now.
      Tucker

88 GW, AMC 360 with Doug Thorley headers, Howell TBI, NP242, TF727, 3.31 gears and the tow package, Magnaflow muffler and cat, BJ's 4" springs + 2" blocks and 1" shackles, and 1" body lift, 32" BFG's, aluminum rad, K20 front brake calipers.

My Jeep has tricked me into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Comment

• 4x4Dad
        258 I6
        • Aug 19, 2008

Also, what's this? It runs up through the firewall, but I can't figure out what it would attach to.

Tucker

88 GW, AMC 360 with Doug Thorley headers, Howell TBI, NP242, TF727, 3.31 gears and the tow package, Magnaflow muffler and cat, BJ's 4" springs + 2" blocks and 1" shackles, and 1" body lift, 32" BFG's, aluminum rad, K20 front brake calipers.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Vacuum switch for brake pedal...
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 4x4Dad
            258 I6
            • Aug 19, 2008

Originally posted by babywag
            Vacuum switch for brake pedal...
            For what, cruise control? Where does it connect?
            Tucker

Comment

• Tripwire
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 30, 2000

IIRC on older rigs of most makes there was a switch/valve that when you pushed the brake pedal it dumped vacuum - look on the brake pedal arm ?
              Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• 4x4Dad
                258 I6
                • Aug 19, 2008

So here's the synopsis for those who may read this in a future search of the archives.

I hit the brake pedal, the following occurs:
                1. The brake lights do not come on.
                2. The dash clock goes dead.
                3. The dash cluster lights click on (audible through the large relay fuse behind the cluster).
                4. All four side marker lights come on.

And all of this came down to one ridiculous little error on my part. I had removed the taillight clusters six weeks ago to do a down and dirty paint job on my driveway. All taillight bulbs were put away with my other spares. When I reinstalled the bulbs, I put in one that had a single contact point on the bottom rather than the requisite two. It was causing a short that led to all this ruckus.

In other words, it's solved because I discovered my own carelessness.
                Tucker

Comment

• Rich88
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by 4x4Dad
                  .... When I reinstalled the bulbs, I put in one that had a single contact point on the bottom rather than the requisite two. It was causing a short that led to all this ruckus.

In other words, it's solved because I discovered my own carelessness.
                  Hey, I want points for being the closest answer. (post #5)
                  Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                  88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                  "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• 4x4Dad
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 19, 2008

Originally posted by Rich88
                    Hey, I want points for being the closest answer. (post #5)
                    I'm an English prof during the day, so I'm willing to grant partial credit in this instance.
                    Tucker

Comment

Working...
                    X