And you guys hate a SBC under the hood...(Isuzu Diesel Swap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirtball
    304 AMC
    • Apr 10, 2006

I guess I was trying to ask if it could/should/might be an option for someone else who doesn't have the skills to do what you can do. Just one of those "what if" type questions.
    Paul
    1979 Cherokee N/T
    360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
    6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
    34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

• JeepinPete
      304 AMC
      • Dec 09, 2003

Got the steel crank spacer done today. I have six more counterbores to do on the aluminum spacer to finish it off. Here are a couple pictures:

Bolted up the new exhaust manifold, and a HY35 turbo from a '03 Dodge Cummins. There isn't enough clearance for an elbow to the inlet of the turbo. I am going to machine a 1" thick spacer between the turbo and exhaust manifold to gain that clearance. I straightened the stock oil feed line and reformed it to mate up to the turbo. I've got a factory Cummins oil return line on its way. Hopefully I can combine it and the Isuzu part into a workable solution. There should be a hardware order from McMaster Carr sitting on my step when I get home. Now I will be able to bolt up everything

Anyway, I plan to pull the drivetrain out of my Cherokee this weekend. I'll pull the drivetrain apart next week and try bolting the Isuzu to everything else
      Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
      Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
      Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• YellowJeep
        350 Buick
        • Jan 20, 2007

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
        Run whatever junk you want and send us the defective 401s.
        Well, make up your mind...do you want him to run the junk or send it to you?

It's an awesome idea...still can't wait to see it done!
        Chad-
        88 Wrangler - TBI350 SM465 Ford 8.8
        79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - AKA "The Screamin Eagle" 5.3 Runs and Drives. TH400 and Q-Trac!
        77 Pontiac CanAm - 6.0LSx/4l80e swap
        2010 - Ford Flex Limited AKA the wifes wagon
        Carbs suck!

Comment

• JeepinPete
          304 AMC
          • Dec 09, 2003

Bit of a setback today

I finally got the bolts I needed to attach the flywheel to the crank. Well, I did so, and while I was at it, decided to turn the engine and check the compression. Unfortunately, there was very little resistance. So as I am cranking it over, cursing the dude I bought it from (good running engine my a$$), I am hearing air blowing out the intake manifold. That isn't the way it is supposed to work.

Anyway, first thing I could think of was the valve lash was way too tight. But there was actually too much. The only other thing I could think of was burnt valves, so off came the head.

I'm not quite certain what to make of it. The intake valves on cylinder 1,2 & 3 all look fine, but I can see light in the intake runner. The intake valve on #4 on the other hand has a chip missing. Doesn't look burnt in any way, or cracked for that matter, but there is a small piece missing. So it looks like this head is getting a valve job. On the bright side, I see no issues with the cylinder bores. They look very nice.

Here are a couple pictures:

Pete

Comment

• dusty
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 20, 2006

i wouldnt worry much about being able to turn it over by hand. my 6bta in my 03 dodge i can grab the flywheel with a clutch on it and rotate it when i am doing a clutch job. it and many others have been that way since day one and still past 100k miles i can do it any time im in there i do it just to wierd people out the valve chip is worth replacing but i ran a 6bt with several valves like that for over 200k miles without a problem . that was my first diesel and it acted and looked the same way when i took the head off........ i think you might be thinking that it was going to resist you like a gas engine and diesels never seem to fight you turning them over by hand

that motor looks pretty good. id run it without valve job.

good luck pete. get the valve job done and run her like you stole her
            Last edited by dusty; 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM.
            Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
            The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• JeepinPete
              304 AMC
              • Dec 09, 2003

The only other experience I have with a diesel is a 1.9 TDI, and you definitely felt the compression on that engine.

As it turns out, my problem can be traced back to the oil seal leak in the turbo. I pulled a couple valves last night, and there is a thick layer of loose carbon on the back side of the valves and oily carbon in the intake port. So a good cleaning should get me going. I'll replace the chipped valve, and probably the valve seals for good measure, and put it all back together.
              Pete

Comment

• JeepinPete
                304 AMC
                • Dec 09, 2003

Its been fun...

The 5.3 is sitting on the floor on my barn today. My buddy Joe and I pulled the drive train yesterday. I think I am going to clean up the frame and firewall while I have it apart.

Pete

Comment

• Headhoncho
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by JeepinPete

Dude, you got a high performance engine right there. It's got two spark plugs per cylinder!! Sure that ain't a Nap Z engine you got?

JR
                  [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                  1966 mustang fastback
                  '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• JeepinPete
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 09, 2003

Originally posted by Headhoncho
                    Dude, you got a high performance engine right there. It's got two spark plugs per cylinder!! Sure that ain't a Nap Z engine you got?

JR
                    Pete

Comment

as usual, very nice work pete!!

Al
                      79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                      99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                      07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• JeepinPete
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 09, 2003

Monday night I pulled the tranny and transfer case off of the 5.3L. One of the issues I've been worried about is clearance for the clutch slave cylinder. On this particular transmission, the slave is external, and mounts to the bell housing. I hate internal slave cylinders with a passion (hydraulics will leak eventually, pulling the drivetrain to replace a slave cylinder is not my idea of a good design).

Anyway, I bolted the adapter plate to the trans Monday night, and marked out where I would need to cut to clear the slave cylinder. Brought it to work yesterday and cut it on the bandsaw. Last night's test fit showed I hadn't removed enough material, so a little work with a sanding drum and file took care of that. Then came the moment of truth, would the Isuzu clutch housing clear?

I had to file the lip of the clutch housing so that I could remove the slave cylinder in the future. I will have to grind a divit in the side to fully clear the bleeder. But it fits

Some other minor issues have shown up. Both of the crank spacers need a little tweaking. One hole on the steel spacer drifted when I drilled it. I will have to run an endmill from the backside to fix that. On the aluminum spacer, two of the clearance counterbores are slightly off. Just enough to prevent it from seating on top of the steel spacer with the bolts in place.

I am trying to order valves and a head gasket, but the source I found is not exactly speedy. I am waiting for an invoice so that I can pay them for the parts, but nothing has shown yet. I hope to have them in hand next week.

With any luck, I will stab the drivetrain back into place next weekend
                        Pete

Comment

• JeepinPete
                          304 AMC
                          • Dec 09, 2003

Got a good amount of time out in the barn last night. Started putting the drivetrain together. I'll have to pull it all apart again, since I have a new flywheel on the way. I also need to adjust the size of the dowel pins that locate the trans. They ended up oversized. But next time should be the last time

Here is the divot I had to grind to clear the bleed screw. I also ended up grinding off the nipple on the bleed screw...

The following pictures are just a progression of how it goes together...

All told, the drivetrain measures 7 feet long from the crank pulley to the output yoke.
                          Pete

Comment

• Headhoncho
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Oct 11, 2006

That's pretty bad when your front driveshaft is going to be longer than your rear one.

Pete, I get first dibs on this setup a year from now when you swap it all out for batteries and electric motors. Looks awesome.

JR
                            [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                            1966 mustang fastback
                            '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• JeepinPete
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 09, 2003

LMAO, I'll keep that in mind JR...
                              Pete

Comment

• mjself
                                232 I6
                                • Mar 17, 2008

Pete, you are one heck of an artist. Very impressive!
                                GMC (SEAL SW CC) USN Retired

Comment

Working...
                                X