• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coley
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 13, 2000

4wd indicator blues

This is driving me nuts!!

This is how the 4wd indicator light wire assembly should be (as best as I can tell):

1. One end hooks to the Neutral start/backup light switch on the tranny
    2. One end hooks to the underside of the t-case(2-prong)
    3. One end hooks to the wiring harness at the rear of the engine compartment.

I've now got the 3 wire assemblys listed below, and none will light up the 4wd indicator on my wag:

1. Fits the plug on the t-case and Neutral/backup switch-but doesn't fit the plug in the engine compartment.
    2. Fits the plug in the engine compartment and Neutral/backup switch-but doesnt fit the plug at the bottom of the t-case.
    3. Fits the plug in the engine compartment and Neutral/backup switch, has NO WIRE AT ALL going to the t-case. Looks like it's always been like that, no splice or nuthin'. This is the one that was on the wag when I got it.

Here's my questions:

1.Were there any 84 wags that DID NOT have the 4wd indicator?
    2.How do I make this durn thing work-should I make some sort of splice using the correct components?

Other than that, the wag is running better than ever. Carried me 1,000 miles last weekend with no problem. 57k and counting..

Thanks in advance,

------------------
    84 GW
    360 NP229

[This message has been edited by Coley (edited July 22, 2000).]
    Daddy\'s Ice Cream Truck (4 yr old daugter named it)<br />84 GW<br />360 727 NP229<p>\"..Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still..\"

I also have an 84 Grand Wag.
    My 4wd light doesn't work either!

------------------
    DLyons
    84 Grand Wagoneer
    360 (401 someday)
    Always Under Construction

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

guys, i dont think it's gonna work. my '84 gwag never had an indicator lite. its got to do with what type of t/case and what year FSJ you've got.does your 84 have the dash mounted lever that in order to flip,you hafta pull a safety outta the way. this makes the job 2 handed,which means you are stopped or should be. the shift is a vacuum operated system. the lite, or the place for a lite in the instrument panel is for a different set up. i think Baker or somebody else with a 84 splained that already.to definitely tell if i was in 4wheel, i would try to get into low range. it's an ''and'' operation,you hafta be in 4 wheel to be able to shift into low range. if the range lever wont shift you are'nt in 4 wheel. usually that would happen cause the steel vacuum line routed right under left exhaust manifold has rotted away. but that's a whole nother story. party on

------------------
      '88 gwag
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Brazzy
        232 I6
        • Jun 21, 2000

If the t case is a 229 the connector at the case is actuated gy a ball dentent within the case itself.(know this from rebuilding case) The wireing your speaking of is unknown to me or at liest I dont understand your question. I do know my 4x4 light did not function either until I replaced the bulb inside the dash now it comes on anytime I shift into 4x4. Replaceing the bulb is kinda P. I. T. A. The light is on the left side of the steering column, and on mine was not the location I thought it should be. Hope this helps

------------------
        Brazzy
        Formerly abused 87 G.W. 162k stock
        TOW,PKG,727,229,360
        THE ROLLING REBUILD
        Brazzy<BR>Formerly abused 87 G.W. 175k<BR>TOW,PKG,727,229,360<BR>2.5\" Rancho softride AAL<BR>T.F.I. Mod<BR>The Chariot

Comment

• Coley
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 13, 2000

Now that I've thought about it, this seems like the only plausible answer.

I think the PO replaced the t-case with a newer model 229. This would explain why(when i bought it) the fuel return and vent line weren't attached and the fuel line brackets attached to the t-case were missing-the mech had been too lazy to properly finish the job.
          so then..

The mech must have left the original 2-connector wire (Part# J5758251, I think) that goes from the engine compartment to the Neutral Start\Backup switch on the tranny-it had no third connector, like later models, to attach to the bottom of the t-case.

So basically I have an 84 Wag with a later model np229 t-case with different elec. hookups. This is what confused me. When I got the wag , I took out the dash for something and saw the 4wd indicator light. I knew it didn't work, so I looked at the t-case and saw it was missing the wire plugged in the bottom, like the pic in Haynes. I figured that was the culprit. Should've known it wouldn't be that simple!

It's no big problem, I can tell when I'm in 4wd without it-I just like to have all my electrical doo-dads and gizmos working properly. Looks like I'll be doing some "creative" electrical work.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll crawl back into my hole now.

PS.. Don't ever use Lafayette Auto Salvage in LA. They have several Wags and Cherokees, but they're complete dirtbags.

------------------
          84 GW
          360 NP229
          Daddy\'s Ice Cream Truck (4 yr old daugter named it)<br />84 GW<br />360 727 NP229<p>\"..Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still..\"

Comment

Working...
          X