• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El Toro J10
    232 I6
    • Nov 14, 2009

My Ammeter Bypass/Voltmeter Solution

Well I guess I shouldn't really call it MY solution. I have performed quite a bit of research and am going to complete the ammeter bypass/voltmeter addition in my J10. After reading through a lot of posts and studying up on other sites, here is what I have come up with.

Ammeter Bypass
    I just upgraded to the CS144 so I have some urgency in completing at least the bypass. I have opted for an under the hood bypass since I don?t feel I will have eliminated much (if any risk) just switching the connectors to one post on the ammeter with that juice still running through ~15 feet of 20 year old wire, into harness and through the cab. I found an excellent under the hood bypass by Araknid75, found here:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=105253

And here is my art work of how I picture it. I am going to use 6 ga wire since I am running the CS144. Sound good?

That should take care of the fire risk from the ammeter.

Voltmeter Installation
    I really want to maintain the OEM look on my instument panel. I am going to follow the procedure as shown by Ted_Z in the following thread with only one modification:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=17510

As I read through this he says he plans on just using the old wires to the voltmeter. As mentioned previously, this isn?t enough security for my taste. I am going to use an in dash accessory wire (radio power most likely) and tie into that. I already check the voltmeter part number he referenced and it is still available.

Please let me know what you think.
    --------------------------------------------------
    1982 Jeep J10 - 360 5.9L V8 - Automatic Transmission, MC2150 Carb, MDS TFI Upgrade, CS144
    Decatur, Georgia
    "Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda
  • caionneach
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

Ammeter wires

I did the ammeter bypass and the voltmeter in-dash installation you referenced. I also used the two ammeter wires hooked to the positive post on the voltmeter install just like in the write up, and it works just fine.

I agree that it is not ideal, but ideal would be all new wires or a new wiring harness for the FSJ.

Mine works, but the voltmeter is on all the time with this setup.

Not a big deal as it is not a big drain on the battery, as per the write up. However, key-on power is still the way to go. I need to take those two ammeter wires out of the circuit, so to speak, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

I could shorten them and splice them together to complete the circuit, like they do now fastened to the same post on the voltmeter. Ideally I would take them out altogether since they are older wires, but that might mean compromising the "BIG SPLICE" also located under the dash.

In short, I need someone smarter than me and way more familiar with the under dash wiring to produce a write-up of what to do in order to eliminate these old ammeter wires.
    1982 Cherokee
    258 cid/T-5 $15 Sunpro Voltmeter gauge
    replacement; Quadratec Trailmax Thermal Pro
    Seats! 4 inch SKYJACKER suspension lift, 33X12.5 in
    BFG Mud Terrain Tires on 15X10 in ProComp Rims.
    New BJ's chrome-moly rear axle shafts, 3.73:1 diffs and ARB Air Locker!

Comment

Just curious...you put on an alternator with a max rated output of 140 amperes, running the output through a 100 amp breaker. I'm guessing you do not expect to reach the max rated output of the alternator?
      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• El Toro J10
        232 I6
        • Nov 14, 2009

That is correct. If I ever top 100 amps in my rig as currently configured something will be very wrong. I got a good deal on the CS144 so that is why I chose it. None of the near-stock alternators I saw would give me much better than I already had. If I ever need more flow I can easily upgrade the breaker.

The alternator won't kick out more than 100 amps unless I am asking for them right? Also, the write up recomended the breaker and it seemed to be a good safety mechanism. Even though a 150 amp breaker would catch it in the event of a problem, wouldn't that be too much juice? Other thoughts?
        Last edited by El Toro J10; 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM.
        1982 Jeep J10 - 360 5.9L V8 - Automatic Transmission, MC2150 Carb, MDS TFI Upgrade, CS144
        Decatur, Georgia

Comment

• lost1
          350 Buick
          • Sep 21, 2008

Well, that sounds reasonable to me. Unless you're asking for that draw with a lot of heavy-duty electrical accessories, the only other thing that'd make the alt put out that much amperage would be a malfunction of the alt, and that alone could start a long list of nasty problems.
          Originally posted by Locked and Loaded
          Jeeps don't get stuck. People do.
          <══════════════════════════════>
          Let the good times roll!
          '83 Wagoneer«» 401/TF727/3:31 AMC20

Comment

• El Toro J10
            232 I6
            • Nov 14, 2009

Thanks El_Diablo! The help is much appreciated. I may order one tomorrow.
            Decatur, Georgia

Comment

• djongeward
              304 AMC
              • May 21, 2008

Autozone has those or similar in 100 and 150 amp at close to same price. Marine grade. Folks use them with high output audio amps.
              89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
              76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
              89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
                350 Buick
                • May 15, 2009

One nice aspect to the 100A breaker is that should the CS go full field, the breaker will pop before the alternator can self destruct or murder too many other things.

Considering that all the exterior/engine bay/interior accessories ON at once (Starter not included) would likely cause a 45-55 amp draw, I would think that only in the event of a dead short would the breaker pop.
                I've never performed an energy budget on an FSJ....so perhaps my Jeep will be the test mule for that.

I am going the cs route soon and I appreciate you sharing this solution El D!

Jim
                KY7DX/6
                76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
                77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• El_Diablo
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 06, 2009

Originally posted by djongeward
                  Autozone has those or similar in 100 and 150 amp at close to same price. Marine grade. Folks use them with high output audio amps.
                  they do have both, but the main problem is that neither is the one you actually need....

the big reason for the 140amp is what if down the road you add some lights, you have an electric fan and it kicks on (80-90amps), you have your heater on (probably around 15 amps im guessing) and you've already maxed out that breaker.... now what if its at night (headlights) and its raining (wipers)?

you're alternator will try its hardest to replace the energy being used and that may bring you close to the peak.... if you choose replace the electric fan with a winch, same deal....
                  1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
                  2012 Focus
                  2000 Camaro
                  1995 Mustang
                  2009 GSXR-600

Comment

I like it.
                    Like you said, "as configured"...I don't think you would ever reach 100. It might be possible if you have to crank on the starter a long time and replenish the battery, but not very likely even then. You would never trip a 150 because the alternator is not rated for it, and if the alternator is not capable of putting out 140 (say, it peaks at 136A) you may never trip a 140 either.
                    Mark B. Jones

Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

Comment

• El Toro J10
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 14, 2009

I appreciate the input from everyone. As always, very constructive. The forum has mentored me through my work thus far.
                      Decatur, Georgia

Comment

• El Toro J10
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 14, 2009

One more question. In the ammeter bypass how to it says to disconnect the wire from the "batt" terminal on the back of the alternator. This is the wire that runs into the cab to the ammeter. Don't I also need to disconnect the original wire from the "batt" terminal on the solenoid since that also runs to the cab? Yeah, its not connected for a full circuit but if it chaffs and shorts somewhere in between then I am still up the creek.

Thoughts?
                        Decatur, Georgia

Comment

• El_Diablo
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 06, 2009

Originally posted by 710 Burner
                          I like it.
                          Like you said, "as configured"...I don't think you would ever reach 100. It might be possible if you have to crank on the starter a long time and replenish the battery, but not very likely even then. You would never trip a 150 because the alternator is not rated for it, and if the alternator is not capable of putting out 140 (say, it peaks at 136A) you may never trip a 140 either.
                          then run a 135 if that makes you feel better
                          1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
                          2012 Focus
                          2000 Camaro
                          1995 Mustang
                          2009 GSXR-600

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro J10
                            One more question. In the ammeter bypass how to it says to disconnect the wire from the "batt" terminal on the back of the alternator. This is the wire that runs into the cab to the ammeter. Don't I also need to disconnect the original wire from the "batt" terminal on the solenoid since that also runs to the cab? Yeah, its not connected for a full circuit but if it chaffs and shorts somewhere in between then I am still up the creek.

Thoughts?
                            You need the either the battery wire connected or the alternator wire you removed connected to a battery source for the dash and ign power. The battery wire already has a fusible link, the alternator wire does not.
                            Mark B. Jones

Comment

Working...
                            X