• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

Tailgate window loud clunk

This might be an odd issue as I can't find anyone else reporting the same thing.

The rear window on my '91 GW makes a loud clunk/bang when it gets to the very top.
    It goes up and down perfectly otherwise, but you can see when it gets right to the top that it encounters some kind of resistance, then makes a loud bang as it pops into place and moves the remaining tiny bit (1/4" or so).

I've also noticed that when the battery is getting a bit weak it doesn't always have enough power to push past this.
    One time it didn't have the power to make the bang, but was very close. I was stood around the Jeep for a little while and it popped about 2 minutes after I'd closed the window.

It seems to me like the noise is coming from the top of the glass, but it's very hard to tell. Funnily enough, the noise seems much louder from inside the car!

I have inspected the track around the edge and can't find anything unusual.
    Any ideas?
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I'd remove the cover from the tailgate and inspect the lift mechanism.

Crawl in back with a flashlight (torch?) and watch it while someone else operates the glass.

If you try to do it with the tailgate open make sure you support the glass as it comes out.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• johnsonic
      258 I6
      • Mar 12, 2015

Happens to me as well, loud clunk at the very top - found the window wipe is the culprit. Someday I'll get around to putting a new one on.
      1984 GW
      Comp 260H
      Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
      Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
      Performer Intake
      Holley SA 670
      MSD 8523
      Dakota Digital custom cluster
      Serehill headlamp harness
      NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
      ...but the parts live on

Comment

• asudchiman
        327 Rambler
        • Feb 03, 2016

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
        This might be an odd issue as I can't find anyone else reporting the same thing.

The rear window on my '91 GW makes a loud clunk/bang when it gets to the very top.
        It goes up and down perfectly otherwise, but you can see when it gets right to the top that it encounters some kind of resistance, then makes a loud bang as it pops into place and moves the remaining tiny bit (1/4" or so).

I've also noticed that when the battery is getting a bit weak it doesn't always have enough power to push past this.
        One time it didn't have the power to make the bang, but was very close. I was stood around the Jeep for a little while and it popped about 2 minutes after I'd closed the window.

It seems to me like the noise is coming from the top of the glass, but it's very hard to tell. Funnily enough, the noise seems much louder from inside the car!

I have inspected the track around the edge and can't find anything unusual.
        Any ideas?

Easy fix. I had the same thing. The rubber channel that the glass fits into when the window is up is worn out. It is allowing the strong window motor to push the window too high creating the pop noise when the window bracket is pushing up through the window wipe area. You may even find that you have a small crack in the metal at the top of the tailgate.

Go to BJSoffroad (my 1st choice), TGW, etc. and buy a new window channel. Take a Flathead screwdriver and chisel out the old surround. Then put the new one in its place. I think there are two rivets at the very bottom of both sides to hold it into place, but it will still work without riveting, but eventually you should install the rivets.

Let me know if you need more help. I did this repair a few months ago. You may also notice some exhaust smell getting into the cab. If so, this "may" be the cause. I noticed an improvement once I replaced mine.
        Current Jeep Fleet:
        1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
        ------------------------------------------------
        Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• Brynjminjones
          258 I6
          • Jun 11, 2017

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought/hoped it might be something like that!
          It looks like I'm going to be putting in a bulk order to BJ's soon...

Asudchiman, did you have to drill the old rivets out?
          P.S. I love the blog. I've been reading it since well before we bought our Waggy!
          1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• asudchiman
            327 Rambler
            • Feb 03, 2016

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought/hoped it might be something like that!
            It looks like I'm going to be putting in a bulk order to BJ's soon...

Asudchiman, did you have to drill the old rivets out?
            P.S. I love the blog. I've been reading it since well before we bought our Waggy!

Thanks. Glad to see there is at least one person reading it.
            I started it as a way to motivate me to keep working on the Jeep.

Yes, you do need to drill out the rivet to put the new one in, however the way I know it works without doing the rivet is I have not done it yet.
            I can't bring myself to do it. You have heard me say I have a habit of making easy tasks much harder and I worry this may be one of those times. Maybe I will do it before too long.
            Current Jeep Fleet:
            Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• ShagWagon
              350 Buick
              • Apr 10, 2016

Rivets are easy to drill out.

They're already center punched for you as well. The ones on the side there are in such a good spot I would recommend to learn on.

Sometimes it take a few hours of courage to do a 10 minute job....
              87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

On my '90 it's the outer window wipe.
                Makes loud pop/crack same scenario as you described.
                Some day maybe I'll bend it back out of way, or replace it.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ZackN920
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 18, 2015

Mine will clunk too, going all the way up. It don't slow down though. It's got plenty of torque to push through that "resistance".
                  Mine also rattles-ALOT going over bumps. I've found that the wipes are completely wasted. I should replace them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the receiving channel that asudchiman talks about is worn out too.
                  1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                  Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                  ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                    258 I6
                    • Jun 11, 2017

That sounds a lot like mine. The window motor has plenty of torque, it's just when the battery is running low that it doesn't.

I'm not sure yet just how much it rattles as I've barely driven the Waggy yet!

I should be fine drilling out rivets - I've done plenty before. I just get a bit scared by small things like that when it comes to my Jeeps for some reason.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                    1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• asudchiman
                      327 Rambler
                      • Feb 03, 2016

I just get a bit scared by small things like that when it comes to my Jeeps for some reason.
                      I completely know the feeling!

Sometime remind me to tell you about my dealing with the rivets on the headlight brackets
                      Current Jeep Fleet:
                      Four Wheel Trends

Comment

Working...
                      X