• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 66Stepside
    350 Buick
    • Dec 23, 2010

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
    Wow! what a find. It's pretty clean looking. The grille is nice and straight.

I think while these rigs were never a hot item to restore, I am seeing them starting to show up here and there restored and looking sharp. If grand from that Texas site can go for 25K then these older wagoneers have to be worth more in the long run. There is a nice 70 on Ebay in NY for 15K. These rigs are just plain cool. Good find for sure!! Love the original color.

I'll get down there someday. Happy Thanksgiving Adam.
    Thanks!

That green one on EBay is NICE! I'd drive that one all day long.

Out Thanksgivng was nice, a dusting of snow that soon disappeared, was nice. They're saying we're in for a cold snap, but it feels pretty warm. This one will slowly be brought back from near death. I keep in contact with the owners to keep them updated. Merry Christmas!

Edit:

The column is in, steering wheel is one, everything is buttoned up- while I am waiting on the hail storm of the year to subside for a maiden voyage, I swapped in a few light bulbs, and cleaned up the interior a bit.

Last edited by 66Stepside; 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM.
    52 M38
    54 Willys Truck
    56 Willys Wagon
    60 FC170
    66 J3000
    68 M715
    70 1414C
    71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

That sure is a good find. I wanted to ask if you think the paint being two tone is original or factory done? I wondered if someone had painted the outside a different color than the interior. The quarters look really nice too.
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra
      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 66Stepside
        350 Buick
        • Dec 23, 2010

That sure is a good find. I wanted to ask if you think the paint being two tone is original or factory done? I wondered if someone had painted the outside a different color than the interior. The quarters look really nice too.
        Your timing is perfect- she runs, DRIVES, and STOPS now! Yeah! Here's a link to a cheesy video of her maiden voyage: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...129626#p129626

She'll need at least new wheel cylinders as one has a slow leak.

It has been repainted for sure, several decades ago based upon wear and sun bleached patina. The interior paint is Amber Poly for sure, the exterior appears to be Bronze Mist from what I can tell. When I replaced the broken tail light housing, the factory paint was there and still in good condition. On the other hand the exterior paint might also be Amber Poly. With such little patches of factory paint showing through, it is difficult to gauge.

Did you guys get hit hard with the snow? Overall, we have 3-4" down here.
        52 M38
        54 Willys Truck
        56 Willys Wagon
        60 FC170
        66 J3000
        68 M715
        70 1414C
        71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Well I wondered if Jeep did paint like that. Lots can happen in 50 ish years.

We have about 4-5 inches down. It has been bitter cold at 2 above then now it is back to the teens every night. I have been under the house insulating new filter housings and trying to address everything that needs it with below zero temps.
          Other than ordering a very large amount of parts for the 70 I am not getting much done it seems. A little every day is important.
          I would like to get down your way to say hello. And there has to be a road trip coming up sometime soon. Call if you ever want help with vehicle retrieval.

Are you going to keep the 66? I am sure surprised at the prices I am seeing as of late. These old rigs are becoming popular it seems.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 66Stepside
            350 Buick
            • Dec 23, 2010

Well I wondered if Jeep did paint like that. Lots can happen in 50 ish years.

We have about 4-5 inches down. It has been bitter cold at 2 above then now it is back to the teens every night. I have been under the house insulating new filter housings and trying to address everything that needs it with below zero temps.
            Other than ordering a very large amount of parts for the 70 I am not getting much done it seems. A little every day is important.
            I would like to get down your way to say hello. And there has to be a road trip coming up sometime soon. Call if you ever want help with vehicle retrieval.

Are you going to keep the 66? I am sure surprised at the prices I am seeing as of late. These old rigs are becoming popular it seems.
            There's some residual markings of pinstriping on the paint- as of after the repaint, it had a single pinstripe place along the length of the vehicle. It would be cool to have some pics of what it looked like right after the repaint. Come on down anytime.

Yeah, I plan on keeping this one if all goes according to plan.
            52 M38
            54 Willys Truck
            56 Willys Wagon
            60 FC170
            66 J3000
            68 M715
            70 1414C
            71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

I would. I can't believe the prices I am starting to see on CL. I am just eager as heck to have mine back. 14 years now down... I hold my head in shame.
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• xabn82
                232 I6
                • Jan 01, 2016

I would. I can't believe the prices I am starting to see on CL. I am just eager as heck to have mine back. 14 years now down... I hold my head in shame.
                Did you say 14? As in one, four?
                I don't feel so bad now, thanks
                1973 J4000

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by xabn82
                  Did you say 14? As in one, four?
                  I don't feel so bad now, thanks
                  We'll all resume feeling bad once Kaiserjeeps pulls his rig out of the garage and has done a bolt for bolt resto on it like he's doing on Sadie.
                  '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                  (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

14 loooooong years. It was sweet running, I had just converted a 79 dana 44 to five lug and got it in. I had a couple thousand miles on a narrowed five lug dana 60. I wanted to fix the rust. I was a really heavy drinker (fifth of vodka a day) and my marriage was failing. I got divorced, bought every NOS part I could find for another 5-6 years and shelved them. Got sober, remarried, moved too many times all the while dragging my poor old 1414X along for the ride. I will do it next. Sadie has got me all excited to see mine like that.
                    Hopefully none of us will die from old age before that happens.
                    My wife said she would love to drive one for a daily driver. I love that woman.
                    Melford1972 says...
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• xabn82
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 01, 2016

Man, I'm glad you got squared away. I know where you're coming from. Keep on keeping on.
                      1973 J4000

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 15, 2016

Kaiserjeeps, count me among those who are extremely happy that you're where you're at now. Many kudos to you for making the changes you needed to make. Alcohol has some pretty nasty claws that it hooks into some people, I've walked down a pretty dark road or two in my life as well. Keep on doin you, man!

66stepside, where's the best place to buy a quart of the amber poly? Do you have a color code that I could bring to my local auto paint place? I was toying with the idea of doing the fawn color that they did Chevy truck interiors in in the 60's, but amber poly just seems so much more FSJ.
                        '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                        (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• 66Stepside
                          350 Buick
                          • Dec 23, 2010

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
                          Kaiserjeeps, count me among those who are extremely happy that you're where you're at now. Many kudos to you for making the changes you needed to make. Alcohol has some pretty nasty claws that it hooks into some people, I've walked down a pretty dark road or two in my life as well. Keep on doin you, man!

66stepside, where's the best place to buy a quart of the amber poly? Do you have a color code that I could bring to my local auto paint place? I was toying with the idea of doing the fawn color that they did Chevy truck interiors in in the 60's, but amber poly just seems so much more FSJ.
                          I have the paint code for Amber Poly, I'll dig out the pics from the 62Thriftside Father/son project.

I ended up upgrading the distributor with one off a 79 AMC Concord at the wrecking yard. It had the magnetic pickup and with a Chevy 4 pin HEI add on, it works great. Much smoother all the way around.

[URL=http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/66Stepside/media/1965%202wd%20Wagoneer/AAEB27FF-9D6E-4269-A152-3B22E9E9CB9F_zpspnsae9ui.jpeg.html][/URL
                          52 M38
                          54 Willys Truck
                          56 Willys Wagon
                          60 FC170
                          66 J3000
                          68 M715
                          70 1414C
                          71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

Hey that is cool!
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 66Stepside
                              350 Buick
                              • Dec 23, 2010

Hey that is cool!
                              Thanks!

The points/condeser set up were fine- but the vacuum advance on the old distributor wasn't working properly. After looking for a stock set up on the Rambler forums, I came up empty. I was on the verge of aftermarket HEI purchase when I found a stock AMC Concord with a distributor at PNS. So 22.00 later, she purrs all the way through the RPMs.
                              52 M38
                              54 Willys Truck
                              56 Willys Wagon
                              60 FC170
                              66 J3000
                              68 M715
                              70 1414C
                              71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• 66Stepside
                                350 Buick
                                • Dec 23, 2010

Here's the air dam installed, painted Bronze Mist Metallic:

Here's the paint mix:

Now she's back to 100% complete.
                                52 M38
                                54 Willys Truck
                                56 Willys Wagon
                                60 FC170
                                66 J3000
                                68 M715
                                70 1414C
                                71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

Working...