• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Marneaus
    360 AMC
    • Jun 16, 2010

Paint Restoration...Anybody try it?

Well, Its 10am on a saturday, and I'm already bored because I didnt have much planned for the weekend, so....I figured since I spend so much time under the dash, under the hood, and under the frame that I'd give the old girl a little cosmetic attention this weekend!

Picked up some rubbing compound and polishing compound, a rotary polisher/sander, and a buffing wheel.

Lets see if I can wake up the paint on the ole' waggy! It's a desert truck, and light in color so the paint is beat but it looks decent from a distance or at 35mph. The paint is definitely oxidized and inconsistent. Hoping to cut it a little bit and bring it back to life. I have major blemishes all around the truck (cracks in the paint and some bondo maybe, massive chips where the original paint wasnt removed, a few lil rust holes etc etc.) and the paint isnt original, But, I'd still like to have a little more shine for now, rather than repainting it.

Anyone try this? Anyone have luck?

I shall report back in the coming hours with some results...and pictures of the process, because we all love pictures.

Also...hopefully the fed ex man will arrive shortly with a lil something else that will spruce up the appearance!
    Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
    The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
    1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44
  • SEdmonds
    258 I6
    • Mar 08, 2010

I am hoping Matt will chime in - (he has the 72 that's a twin of yours). When we brought his Wagoneer back last summer the paint was seriously chalky and discolored. We did the Bar Keeper's Friend (non-abrasive household cleaner) trick - lots of water and BKF - starting from the top and on down- stayed off the vinyl wood trim - he then got out the buffer and brought the shine back. He can tell you what he used after the BKF treatment.

The BKF (or even Comet for the really brave) is apparently one of those old auto detailing tips they never tell you about - worked wonders.
    http://www.1965Rambler.weebly.com

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
      360 AMC
      • Jun 16, 2010

Okeyyyy, its getting there....results thus far....

Some teasers...

Before:

Comparison after about 15 min of work:

Another lil area for comparison:

This thing is gonna SHINE when I'm done. All that has been done thus far is the rubbing compound, it has not been polished yet.
      Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM.
      The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Oh yeah, it works well if you don't buff through the paint and into the primer. Cars from that era typically used a single-stage acrylic enamel that buffs out nice.

You can also retouch spots (or entire panels) on solid colors quite easily. Touching up a white car should be a piece of cake.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
          360 AMC
          • Jun 16, 2010

I'm using Turtle Wax rubbing compound, apparently takes out marks from 1500 grit, so its pretty fine cut.

Then I'll hit it with their polishing compound, see if anything happens.

It might be hard to tell in those pictures, but so far with minimal effort, the difference is night and day.

I was just inside the house for like 20 min, then walked back out into the garage and was all weirded out by how shiny it was.
          The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• hookedup50
            350 Buick
            • Aug 07, 2010

Lookin pretty good so far. Wish i had clear coat to polish. Painting is my option when the weather in MA gets warm enough.
            Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
            Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
            Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
            07 Colorado
            http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• WagoneerinWi
              258 I6
              • Mar 19, 2010

Looking good. I did this on my 72 VW Bus. I was very pleased with the results. Make sure you keep it up with regular washes and good waxes. You might not be able to do it again.
              1985 GW

Comment

• janie
                • Aug 11, 2001

Looks fantastic. If your using an orbital buffer, be careful that you don't burn thru the paint.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• nicnichols
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 01, 2010

Great job! I had to compound a layer of crud off when I got my truck- it had been sitting for a year. Did the same process, first by hand, then cut the polish in with a buffer gently.. took a while but it will be worth it in the end!

Comment

• FSJunkie
                    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                    • Jan 09, 2011

Yep, compounding is the way to do it. Go slow and be careful, the paint is thin on these. You can allways go back and remove more paint, you can't put it back on. Don't expect it to look new, you would need to remove too much for that. Do just enough to satisfy yourself. Wax it really good every couple monthes to preserve the shine. Don't worry about using a finer polish after the compounding. It doesn't show on a white car. I got the shine back on mine, but not the color. It was white from the factory, but it's more of a creme now.
                    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                      360 AMC
                      • Jun 16, 2010

I finished it up, and was working on installing some new el-cheapo woodgrain...I'll get pictures tomorrow when its sunny again.

It looks like a new truck.

Also, mine has been repainted atleast once or twice, seems like there is plenty of paint to cut through, haha. Its a nice beige color now, not a hazy light tan!

I cant wait to finish up the wood grain and reveal her to the world!
                      The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• lunchbox1671
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 22, 2010

I've had great luck with 3M Scratch and Swirrel Remover after a rubbing compound. Follow it up with a polish and then a sealer, good to go!
                        1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
                        -AMC 360 with RV cam
                        -T-15A, Dana 20
                        -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
                        -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                          360 AMC
                          • Jun 16, 2010

So, yeah, all I can say is "wow"

I honestly never thought my jeep could look this nice without severe body work and a new paint job.

The pictures dont do it justice, unless you've seen it in person, but I can show some before and after shots, and comparison shots.

Here was my paint in the beginning. Very Oxidized and chalky.

Also, brown paint instead of wood grain.

So, started the long arduous task of compounding the paint. Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and a 7" Sander/Polisher with a buffer pad...took the better part of 6 hours to complete.

Difference?

A small before and after:

JC Whitney Wood grain:

Now, in the picture it looks like There are gaps in the woodgrain at the trim, but its actually just that the trim pieces have overspray all over them from whoever did this hellish paintjob. The truck has cracks, chips, drips, runs, and debris stuck in the paint all over it. But, it now looks seriously 100X better in person. I'm VERY pleased with the outcome.

After all that work and the woodgrain, I hand waxed it with Mothers Carnuba Wax, brought out the shine and should protect it well.

Look at that reflection!

And then, after a full weekend of hard work...I had to stick her back in her "home" at the stupid storage unit a few miles from my house...grumble grumble.

Now I need to get a car cover to keep it in good shape, I doubt the las vegas summer will be kind to it.
                          Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM.
                          The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• AKJ20
                            232 I6
                            • May 17, 2008

Looking good !
                            Never trust a private with a loaded weapon, or an officer with a map.

06 Chevy HHR 3in drop ,rims, stereo, grill ,auto start and reliable !

The Punisher 1978 J20
                            4in lift 37 mt with cut out rusted fender! Now with a tailgate !

Comment

• Wayne
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 16, 2008

Nice work, looks alot better.
                              78 Wagoneer 401/T400/bw/44F&R DD 4in lift

Comment

Working...
                              X