• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trucker79005
    230 Tornado
    • May 29, 2018

Hello from the Texas Panhandle!

Hi everyone! We bought a 1983 Wagoneer last fall and have been steady working on making it into a daily driver/mail route vehicle. Sure do appreciate the information on here.

I have downloaded the 1982 TSM and I'm currently waiting on my 1983 Supplement. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the differences in my 4wd system compared to my Eagles. Is there a sticky somewhere on here about the different transfer cases and when they were put in? Thought I had np229 but now I'm not sure. I'm trying to reconstruct my vacuum lines...
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

80-82 tases were the standard mechanical part-time NP208's and the optional mechanical full-time NP219. In 83 the 219 option was dropped for the vacuum NP229 along with the added vacuum shift D44 front axle (83-84 only). It's easy to spot with the vac motor sticking out of the diff cover. The 229 case is "similar" to the Eagles full-time case NP119 but the 119 has no low range mode. On a new to you 83 it wouldn't be a big surprise if the 229 has been previously swapped out for a 208.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• trucker79005
      230 Tornado
      • May 29, 2018

Thanks for the response! Based on that I'm pretty sure I have the 229. Vacuum axle shift motor is still there and the lines are rotted. Was trying to find help in my tsm and that explains why it wasn't mentioned hoping if I find a way to reconnect the lines that it will still work....

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

This may help. http://oljeep.com/gw/vac/axle/83-84-...ePictorial.jpg
        Essentially vac is supplied to the front axle motor "first" then to the tcase shift motor. On an 83 ya gotta be stopped before shifting from 2WD to 4WD. Hence the reason for the pull pin on the dash selector. Requires 2 hands to insure you're at a full stop.
        If interested in buying a factory original paper 83 supplement, PM me and I'll dig around, I should still have one around here somewhere.
        On side note once you get new vac lines installed and the front axle isn't engaging it's likely frozen. It's actually a decent system but prone to internal corrosion from lack of use. Especially in a humid environment it's a good idea to switch to 4WD and run it a few miles monthly or so to keep the corrosion to a minimum.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
        X