International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

View Poll Results: Which manufacturers Diesel should I go with?? See the thread below before answering
Ford Diesel Engine 4 3.54%
GM Diesel Engine 10 8.85%
Dodge/Cummins Diesel 85 75.22%
Other/Foreign 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Well this makes 2 diesel threads running right now that I know of for those who keep on about the 4BT have youseen the prices? Copy and pasted from thread running the general area
Actually there are several adapters out there for the MB engine
one uses the AX 15 found behind late model jeeps if you get a 94 and up the slave is on the outside you can buy an clocking ring that will allow you to run the D300 transfer case!
Adapter
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10388

Clocking ring
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

Diesel forums of interest

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM

I keep hearing about the expense of 4bts. While brand new ones are the typical price of any new diesel engine, I have found many 4bt's for a very reasonable price. Of course, living in close proximity to Cummins headquarters probably helps out a bit with availability, but still.

I was torn between a Mercedes and Cummins at the outset, but for me, there seemed to be more options and better documentation for the 4bt swaps and issues.

There is a guy around here with the mercedes in his Jeep and it does pretty good from what he says.

In the end I still have to vote for the Cummins.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Grease Monkey

Have you considered a marine dsl? I have done swaps to boats with dual marine Gm 350s. Engines used were Yanmar 4 cyl Turbos.

It could be expensive to buy a new one, but the chances of finding a used one is pretty good.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 PM

MB OM617

I am by no means stating that the MB om617 is the Best Engine Out There...and there are many advantages to the 4bt, but around these parts...a Running, High Mileage 4bt with No trans is a minimum of $2000 bucks. I have 3 options right now on craigslist for 500 bucks Running, driving MB 300SD's. Throw on a proper side drop divorced transfercase and make shafts...just my opinion

Nathan
Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Money is important for sure but so is power/driveability and keep in mind all USA 300D's came with an AT and though the 300 is a good motor the AT adds to it's serious dog reputation so you'll need a manual tran/clutchs and flywheel set up on top of the $500 for the motor.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 AM

Cummins is the only real industrial diesel out of the big three. Powerstroke and Duramax are both good engines for trucks, but at the end of the day they are not built for industrial applications.

A 4BT is a perfect match for a FSJ. A 6 would be great if you can make it work.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Money is important for sure but so is power/driveability and keep in mind all USA 300D's came with an AT and though the 300 is a good motor the AT adds to it's serious dog reputation so you'll need a manual tran/clutchs and flywheel set up on top of the $500 for the motor.

Are you sure that All came with Auto's? I saw one for sale the other day (too clean and too pricey to hack up) that had a 5 speed in it here in AZ...(not claiming its a USA car, just happened to notice the 5 speed trans instead of the auto)

I was hoping that I would Find a 5 speed car when I do my swap....that might be out the window though lol.

Thanks for the tid bit
Nathan
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
350 Buick

The 4 cylinder Isuzu NPR engines are a no brainer if you're not stuck on four wheel drive. The later engines are available in 175 and 205 horsepower versions. Transmission is an overdrive automatic or six speed O/D manual. Spectacular setup for a tow vehicle or commuter. If you must have 4wd...somebody should snap up that setup from Jeepinpete. Why anyone would put an ancient technology 4bt in a vehicle when these state of the art gems are available at a decent price is...puzzling...
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towtruck
The 4 cylinder Isuzu NPR engines are a no brainer if you're not stuck on four wheel drive. The later engines are available in 175 and 205 horsepower versions. Transmission is an overdrive automatic or six speed O/D manual. Spectacular setup for a tow vehicle or commuter. If you must have 4wd...somebody should snap up that setup from Jeepinpete. Why anyone would put an ancient technology 4bt in a vehicle when these state of the art gems are available at a decent price is...puzzling...

The 4bt is a simple machine. No tech/low tech is really nice. No glow plug nonsense, no wiring, etc. It is a simple swap.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmike
The 4bt is a simple machine. No tech/low tech is really nice. No glow plug nonsense, no wiring, etc. It is a simple swap.

Absolutely. You have a lot of options with it. There are many more powerful options, but I prefer straight forward engines that are easy to work on with good parts availability. Some engines are not so much fun to get parts for.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Which Diesel

Not to complicate the question here but I knew of a local guy that had a 3208 Caterpillar V-8 diesel in a chevy 1 ton that used it to haul farm tractors to Mexico for resell. Don't recall what trans he was running. But recall looking under the hood at the installation and looked like a pretty straight forward setup. I do recall that for the weight he was pulling and the engine weight he had to add some additional springs, front and rear. I do know that these cat diesels came in a one eighty horse power and a two ten. Have know idea of the weight or what transmissions would fit. I know some people thought that these engines had reliability issues. But, I also knew a local man that ran these engines exclusively in tandem axle grain trucks that got excellent reliability from them with just good maintenance. AS far as I know, the older engines required no computers and are very plentiful, as they came in a lot of ford medium duty trucks and all kinds of tractors and AG equipment.

Just a thought....
Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
350 Buick

The 3208 is too big to fit the space. Not a great engine to start with in my experience (twins in a boat).

But on the subject of marine applications, here's a link to a variation of the GM/Hummer 6.5 that would fit...supercharged (not turbo) V8 in a nice package. Used to be built in Stillwater Oklahoma...not sure if they've moved assembly to Sweden or not. Expensive, of course, but very interesting concept if you're a techie...check it out. I'd prefer it to the Yanmar six for a boat...or a truck. Check out their twin supercharged 6.6 Duramax hot rod...

http://www.marinedieselengineering.com/md/
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Last edited by Towtruck : 11-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Master Mechanic

I'm going to look into the dimensions of a Ford 6.9. They're cheaper than 7.3s around here and there aren't as many electronics. I wonder if I could shoehorn one in the J20 I've been looking at.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Go with a 93-98 P pump Cummins 6BT They have the best reputation for being able to upgrade and for not falling apart. You can also find some sort of adapeter plate or bell housing to fit them to almost any trans. finley excpt for the fuel pump. the moter was the same from 89 to 98 so you have 9 years worth of engines to pull parts off of. My 91 6bt with a 727 3speed gets 20mpg. A stock 4bt is going to be a DOG when compared to the 6bt. and if you want more power your going to end up with the same fuel mileage.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 AM

i say 6bt cummins for the fact that the 4bt looks goofy under the hood with so much extra space that if lifted you wont be able to reach anything and the fact that you can find gen 1 matted to the TF727 would say that would be less fab work and save on that 500 dollar adapter and you keep your t case trans and axels down side is you will be forced to lift it and put bigger tires so so so sorry
Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPit
Go with a 93-98 P pump Cummins 6BT They have the best reputation for being able to upgrade and for not falling apart. You can also find some sort of adapeter plate or bell housing to fit them to almost any trans. finley excpt for the fuel pump. the moter was the same from 89 to 98 so you have 9 years worth of engines to pull parts off of. My 91 6bt with a 727 3speed gets 20mpg. A stock 4bt is going to be a DOG when compared to the 6bt. and if you want more power your going to end up with the same fuel mileage.

I have just started to get my toes wet in the diesel pond so forgive the foot in mouth if you would. What is the advantage of the 12V vs the 24V 6BT? From what I have read getting a late '98 thru '02 6BT and P-pumping it gave the best results while keeping the mods down. I'm not looking for shear foot stompin' black smoke throwin' power. For me its about getting the highest MPGs and loooong term reliability; having some power in reserve is nice when towing or running a good incline too. By going with a HD NV4500 will the MPGs improve over the TF727? I figured the OD would help out with the freeway milage. There is the 6 speed NV but I didnt see much advantage to it. Do you know what T-cases can run behind the NV trans besides the 241? From what I found the 241DHD with the PTO option was the strongest they had. Of course budget is big for my build so I'm betting I'll have to cobble something together.
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 11-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticEngineer
Are you sure that All came with Auto's?

Thanks for the tid bit
Nathan
All the ones built for export to the US were At's. A lot of Euro models have been brought over though but they're hard to find especially with the 5 spd. Even the 240D's built for export didn't get the 5 spds just the 4 spds or AT's They are around though. My neighbor has a 240d and a 300td(wagon) with five speeds both were brought over by different retiring military lifers stationed in Europe.
If you must run the 300D motor and want a manual just use a 4spd trans from a 240D(very common) and use the 240 flywheel with it. Works just fine and the MB 4 speed is bullet proof except for the hyd clutch slave.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towtruck
The 3208 is too big to fit the space. Not a great engine to start with in my experience (twins in a boat).
I agree. I've run lots of boats with twin 3208's and they are huge.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger4X

I have just started to get my toes wet in the diesel pond so forgive the foot in mouth if you would. What is the advantage of the 12V vs the 24V 6BT? From what I have read getting a late '98 thru '02 6BT and P-pumping it gave the best results while keeping the mods down. I'm not looking for shear foot stompin' black smoke throwin' power. For me its about getting the highest MPGs and loooong term reliability; having some power in reserve is nice when towing or running a good incline too. By going with a HD NV4500 will the MPGs improve over the TF727? I figured the OD would help out with the freeway milage. There is the 6 speed NV but I didnt see much advantage to it. Do you know what T-cases can run behind the NV trans besides the 241? From what I found the 241DHD with the PTO option was the strongest they had. Of course budget is big for my build so I'm betting I'll have to cobble something together.

Nothing you have found the best Power with out going to a commen rail 24v. Just keep in mind a P pump runs around $1,200 for a rebuilt unit. you can find a decent P pump motter for that much. If your not looking for MAXUM power i a 12V should do fine. But I am NO expert. As for the Transmissions I have to think the more gears the better your econmie I have a 727 behind my 91 VEpump 12v and am geting 20mpg But i Really want to go manual so Have not been looking at the Autos.

Last edited by MAPit : 11-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

It still leaves me wondering if I would be better off holding out for a 24V instead of a 12V. Again I'm not looking for rompin stompin power, but wanting some power in reserve for hills and towing which is gonna serve my MPGs and power needs the best? Is it worth it so save money on the upfront purchase of a 12V and throw a bit extra at it to wake it up? I was told that the late '98 thru 2000 5.9s were 24V which also meant they had a computer on them, but it could be eliminated by by swapping out to a P-pump which makes the entire engine mechanical, save two wires for power only.
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206