• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cma
    350 Buick
    • Jan 26, 2012

Tailgate stock wiring harness

Today i grinded into the harness between tailgate and body....
    2 cables now without any isolation and some wires from the cable are cuted...

Now i have 3 ways:

a) cut out the defect ones, and crimp in 2 new cables

b) doing complet new 2 cables , but would need all connecters new

c) finding a OE/OEM "plug in" tailgate harness

First prissy problem: finding the correct cable (with the stock colors)
    Second: finding the stock connectors

So, are there any vendors selling the stock harness for the tailgate? Or is this one in any set included?
    Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Markus, I don't know of anyone selling a new tailgate harness. You're closest plug-n-play option is finding a used one. But even then you're just installing another poor OEM quality harness. I don't recommend splicing new wires into and old AMC harness but if time is a factor it'll get you by till you can fix it properly. I recommend just building a new one. I've built a few and yes it's boring and time consuming but it's not hard. Just put the old harness on a board separating the wires with brads, push/pull pins, whatever ya got. lay the brads out in the same pattern below the original. Then build a new harness one wire at a time. Yeah it'll cost a few bucks for quality components and some quality tools but you'll end up with a plug-n-play harness better than original that you'll never have to mess with again. If the rig is a keeper it's worth the effort.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• cma
      350 Buick
      • Jan 26, 2012

Joe,
      thanks! Sounds like a good tip! I will try to find a used one and do in the wintermonth a new one
      Option b) is to fix the defect length with cut out and soft soldering together..

Again thanks for your thougths!

Originally posted by joe
      Markus, I don't know of anyone selling a new tailgate harness. You're closest plug-n-play option is finding a used one. But even then you're just installing another poor OEM quality harness. I don't recommend splicing new wires into and old AMC harness but if time is a factor it'll get you by till you can fix it properly. I recommend just building a new one. I've built a few and yes it's boring and time consuming but it's not hard. Just put the old harness on a board separating the wires with brads, push/pull pins, whatever ya got. lay the brads out in the same pattern below the original. Then build a new harness one wire at a time. Yeah it'll cost a few bucks for quality components and some quality tools but you'll end up with a plug-n-play harness better than original that you'll never have to mess with again. If the rig is a keeper it's worth the effort.
      Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

rebuilding

Solder heat shrink & larger heat shrink to cover the entire set up is easy.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by cma
          Joe,
          thanks! Sounds like a good tip! I will try to find a used one and do in the wintermonth a new one
          Option b) is to fix the defect length with cut out and soft soldering together..

Again thanks for your thougths!
          Why even buy a used one?
          Just repair yours, then build a new one if you want new.
          It would be very easy, wiring diagrams are online, and you have one to look @ if you get stuck.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• cma
            350 Buick
            • Jan 26, 2012

because i have now not the time for...other things to fix, i need my capacitifity for things to bring her on the road

Originally posted by babywag
            Why even buy a used one?
            Just repair yours, then build a new one if you want new.
            It would be very easy, wiring diagrams are online, and you have one to look @ if you get stuck.
            Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Going to take more time to replace it than fix it.

Plus cost + shipping + waiting for it to show up.
              Tony

Comment

• men in black
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 08, 2006

This would be very prissy, a wireless remote tailgate
                A completely new harness.

I have completed 10 tailgate relay control systems & I'll be putting more information out on these over the next few days & populate it similar to the headlight harness with details. Update Coming up on 400 built & sold I'll complete documentation & have it up tomorrow. There will be 3 styles available
                1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
                Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
                Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
                Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• aaagul45
                  Banned
                  • Dec 16, 2014

I recommend just building a new one. I've built a few and yes it's boring and time consuming but it's not hard. Just put the old harness on a board separating the wires with brads, push/pull pins, whatever ya got. lay the brads out in the same pattern below the original. Then build a new harness one wire at a time.???

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                    Banned
                    • Mar 01, 2009

Reconnect the wires anyway that seems to work, insulate them and run it till it stops working.

You building a harness is fine. How do you think the OEM harnesses came into being? Immaculate Conception? Somebody built them from wire and connectors, they are not sacred.

Comment

• cma
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 26, 2012

actual at the Bay -)

Looks like this is not really correct...
                      Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

That is the correct PN# for a '82-'86 tailgate harness, and looks correct to me.
                        Tony

Comment

• cma
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 26, 2012

but the connectors at the end are looking for me nit correct, there should be a 3 pin and 2 pin and one 1 pin. not?

Originally posted by babywag
                          That is the correct PN# for a '82-'86 tailgate harness, and looks correct to me.
                          Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• Probesport
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 15, 2015

If you want to make a nice flat cable, lay the wires out, hot glue them side by side every few inches, cover in heatshrink, then sandwich the assy in some sort of sheetmetal or bar, and then heat the whole thing.

you can then use some brake cleaner or acetone to remove heatshrink lettering and you have a better than factory harness.
                            Ken S.
                            Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                            Megasquirt EFI
                            : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                            Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                            Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• acct21
                              327 Rambler
                              • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by cma
                              but the connectors at the end are looking for me nit correct, there should be a 3 pin and 2 pin and one 1 pin. not?
                              Everything that should be in an '86 is there: the defroster timer connector, the defroster leads to the back glass, the six pin barrel connector for the tailgate switch, the motor leads, the license plate light leads and the safety switch hookup.
                              1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

Working...
                              X