• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • high desert hauler
    232 I6
    • Oct 16, 2012

wierd steering issue. need some help.

ok, so ever since idid my 4 inch lift i lost asubstantial part of my steering to the right. i used a dropped pitman arm so my drag link isnt at a extreme angle or anything. and i had a friend go form lock to lock while i watched the suspension/steering links and its not hitting or catching on anything. i even checked the steering stops and when it tops turning to the right im nowhere near hitting the stops....its driving me up the wall. when i take a right hand turn its 2-3 times wider than a ledt hand turn.

also i thought i had clocked the pitman arm wrong but i recentered it all and still the same issue...could it be the steering box itself taking a crap. it works fine otherwise just WIDE right turns. any ideas on what to check? thanks guys
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

I'd say it's still clocked wrong. How did you clock it? Just because the wheels were centered and the steering wheel was centered doesn't mean it's right.

I'd suggest taking the pitman arm off, & centering the wheels. Then with the pitman off, go lock to lock on the steering wheel. Once you're sure of the amount of turns lock to lock, (say 7) then go 3.5 turns from full right lock, and then put the pitman back on.

If that's how you did it the 1st time, then I'm stumped.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• high desert hauler
      232 I6
      • Oct 16, 2012

yep thats how i did it the first time. how many turns is average for lock to lock? mine only went ~3.5 turns from lock to lock. so i went back about a turn and 3/4 for center.

Comment

• Strode
        1st Chair, Cowbell
        • Nov 08, 2011

I dunno how many is average.

Maybe jack it up, turn the wheel fully right, and then disconnect the pitman. Then when they're disconnected from each other, either can you get full motion on the wheels & the steering wheel is stuck, or visa versa.

But it has to be something that happened when you did you lift, so I'm still suspecting clocking, just like you are.
        Brad
        (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• csuengr
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 19, 2011

Drop pitman arms are shorter, between the sector shaft and the drag ling ball joint centers, than standard. All the are is a regular pitman arm with a S bend. You are probably hitting the stops inside the steering box, which isn't good.

Lengthen the drag link a little and see if that helps. Yes, you will have to remove the steering wheel and re-clock it to get it centered again.
          If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

I bet you are just a full turn of the steering wheel out of adjustment at the drag link. I've never had to pull the steering wheel to adjust for this but I have adjusted the drag link the wrong way to recenter the steering wheel with the same result you are experiencing now.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

See if you can find an IH pitman arm
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
              X