Changing distributor on AMC 360, any need to know's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Distordera
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 18, 2016

Changing distributor on AMC 360, any need to know's?

I am about to upgrade my 360 with some parts but I need to ask about changing the distributor.

I have read stories about gears, vacuum advance or not, different brands and so on ...

What do I need to know before buying?
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Put your old dizzy gear onto the new dizzy.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

what year? if its a motorcraft distributor keep it. yes,you want vacuum advance. dial the curve in and run it.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Distordera
        230 Tornado
        • Jul 18, 2016

It´s a 1981 "Swedish Air Force version" with a staggering 145 Hp.
        I was told (and I have read in forums) that a new carb, manifold and ignition would spice things up.
        Is this wrong?

Comment

• mattmopar440
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • May 17, 2007

shoot us some pictures of the engine ?

intake and Carb yes ignition there are some cheap mods you can do to the motorcraft dizzy to get some decent power out of it
          Last edited by mattmopar440; 04-24-2017, 01:27 AM.
          87' Grand Wagoneer
          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• Distordera
            230 Tornado
            • Jul 18, 2016

Cheap mods that will add power? I like it!

Some pics of one dirty engine:

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

you need to dial the ignition curve in. not replace it. what you have is fine,it just needs to be tuned.

yes,intake,carb and exhaust will wake it up. a decent cam too.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

What's your goal? The stock duraspark is a good ignition. Swapping from one elect ign system to another is not going to give you any power, performance, mpg gain what so ever. For normal driver use Duraspark, HEI, TFI, MSD perform equally well if in good condition and tuned correctly. If you're looking for more vroom vroom save your money for carb/cam/exhaust/axle gearing mods.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• mattmopar440
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • May 17, 2007

Are you required to pass emissions where you live if the vehicle doesn't have to pass smog a performance intake and getting rid of a bunch of those vacuum lines and getting he back to 1970s will help alot that looks like a nightmare

does not appear to have air injection lines or smog pump from photo
                  Last edited by mattmopar440; 04-24-2017, 11:15 PM.
                  87' Grand Wagoneer
                  401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                  84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                  80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                  74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                  Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Inferior Chevy

Comment

• Distordera
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jul 18, 2016

Originally posted by Ristow
                    you need to dial the ignition curve in. not replace it. what you have is fine,it just needs to be tuned.

yes,intake,carb and exhaust will wake it up. a decent cam too.
                    Ok, sounds good. You just saved me a couple of 100's. Thanks!

Originally posted by joe
                    What's your goal? The stock duraspark is a good ignition. Swapping from one elect ign system to another is not going to give you any power, performance, mpg gain what so ever. For normal driver use Duraspark, HEI, TFI, MSD perform equally well if in good condition and tuned correctly. If you're looking for more vroom vroom save your money for carb/cam/exhaust/axle gearing mods.
                    My plan was to exchange intake, carb and maybe cam and after that change the ignition but as I hear it's money lost. Thanks for that info!

Originally posted by mattmopar440
                    Are you required to pass emissions where you live if the vehicle doesn't have to pass smog a performance intake and getting rid of a bunch of those vacuum lines and getting he back to 1970s will help alot that looks like a nightmare

does not appear to have air injection lines or smog pump from photo
                    No need to pass emissions on my truck in Sweden so there were no pump or air lines on this one.
                    but it still looks like a nightmare and my old fuel line that is still there is not helping either.

Comment

• Distordera
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jul 18, 2016

Originally posted by Ristow
                      you need to dial the ignition curve in.
                      Help a noob out here?

I have to install a tachometer (and locate + on ignition and a rpm-signal)

Then I locate the mark on the harmonic balancer and the markers on the timing cover.
                      After chalking them up and plug my vacuum advance I start the engine and let it warm up at 600 rpm idle with gear in drive.

Then i start my strobe (connected to cyl #1 cable at distributor) and turn the distributor around until I hit 10 degrees on the timing cover (according to service manual at least)

Is this about right?

Or are there an easier solution?

Comment

Working...
                      X