• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

Can you get a torquey 401 on the cheap?

This sounds like a silly question even to me.
    I've got a 401. It needs head gaskets and possibly rings.
    What I want out of the Jeep is lots of low and mid range grunt.
    I live at 2500 feet, occasionally drive up to 7500, and it's steep on the way up. I want the Wagoneer to be able to haul the mail in any gear.
    I've read a handful of AMC build articles but they all seem to involve custom pistons, ported heads, and 500+ horsepower.
    I'd be totally happy with 300 horsepower if I could have 350-400 ft-lbs under 3500 RPM. Broad, flat, and high torque curve. That's what I'm after.
    So... how do I get from here to there?
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

If you already have a 401 you are starting out on the cheap!
    After that, it doesn't cost any or, not much more, than any other AMC engine build. If you don't want to put pistons in it, just cam it.
    There is no cheap magic dust that makes horsepower and torque.
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• yossarian19
      258 I6
      • Nov 13, 2016

Originally posted by SC/397
      There is no cheap magic dust that makes horsepower and torque.
      Well, damn.

When I tear the heads off I'll have them checked for straight, put springs & seals in them, clean up the castings a little & call it good there. Then I suppose I'll add a cam, lifters & timing set to it and be happy with whatever I wind up with.

Comment

• SC/397
        Administrator
        • Feb 01, 2010

If you have to put pistons in it, use cast 1971 pistons. It will bump the compression up a little.
        The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

Elgin 912 cam kit. offy equaflow intake. hedman headers and dual exhaust. it'll snap.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

yup. i'll be crackin' the wallet real wide on this one.:lol: pardon the cell phone pics,this build is so cheap i couldn't afford to burn the calories to walk into the house for the real camera.:eek: this will be a low buck overhaul,but it won't be cobbled. the goal is a cheap motor with plenty of punch. the block was already
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Old hot rod adage: "Speed costs money. How fast you wanna go?"
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• yossarian19
                258 I6
                • Nov 13, 2016

Originally posted by joe
                Old hot rod adage: "Speed costs money. How fast you wanna go?"
                I only want to do 75, but I want to do it going up a 15% grade at high altitude.
                What does that cost?

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by yossarian19
                  I only want to do 75, but I want to do it going up a 15% grade at high altitude.
                  What does that cost?
                  Not as much as you think, however first you need to tear it down and make sure the internals are ok.
                  Even a small cam, does wonders for the AMC.

Get the heads checked out/redone, throw an RV grind cam in it.
                  4bbl intake/carb or FI.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by yossarian19
                    What does that cost?
                    Maintaining 75mph pulling a 15% grade is "pretty optimist" and going to take some eng poop. Prolly gonna have to appropriately regear the axles to keep the motor in the powerband. But that's gonna blow the "on the cheap" thing out of the water. Heck even semi's with big hp/torque have to drop a few gears to pull a 15% grade. That's what the stir-stick is for, picking the right gear to keep the motor in the powerband, then sit back and grind your way up the grade best you can. I suggest you rethink your expectations. If you're not willing to do that you may as well toss in some more silliness like "and get 20 mpgs doing it"
                    Best of luck with the "on the cheap" plan.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Nikkormat
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 03, 2015

Man this should be easy. Floyd Hill here in CO is about that steep and with the mostly stock 401 I can pull it about as fast as traffic will let me.

Gearing will be important here, too.

Comment

• J20 project
                        304 AMC
                        • Dec 27, 2000

Melling Mta 1

I used the Melling cam....about the same grind as a Edelbrock performer.

9.5-1 pistons, Holley truck avenger. Single plane manifold(I happened to have it so used it) , 2.25in exhaust, no headers.....3:73 gears.

Pulled very hard low end. Seemed to flatten out past 3K rpm...I didn't care about that.

FWIW, I broke two th400 cases w/ it......Kinda got extreme but broke them nonetheless.

Don't forget to make the darn thing able to coollll...It will make heat..need top notch cooling system.

J20 project
                        BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                        775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• alley oop
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 20, 2014

360 reman

i just had my 77 360 reman by a shop in Spokane wa mostly stock with a few up grade, edelbrock performer manifold, holly 600 carb, custom ground cam, 30 over pistons, lower end was balanced with headers, when i went to pick it up i got to witness the dino test with the stock prestolite dizzy and was putting out 280 hp with 345 ft lb torque at 3200 rpm. it was built to pull a 4x8 trail full of camping/hunting gear, sense then i did more upgrade to the ignition, put in a 79 motorcraft dizzy, msd 6a box ,and a 84 ford big cap setup and tfi coil, only got about 100+ mile on it so i haven't push it to hard yet, did go on a test drive and it had no problem pulling a 4% hill in 4th gear at 60 mph and not even close to 3200, I have the build sheet with the part list and the dino sheet if you want to look it over sent me a message i try to get the posted, as far as cost not cheap $2300 for reman with 5yr 50,000 mile warranty plus $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for other upgrades

Comment

• J20 project
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 27, 2000

Fwiw...I used a 71 approx. 9.5-1 short block....76, dogleg heads, Melling Mta-1 cam....

I broke two...not one,.two th400 bellhousings.
                            3:73 gears, 34 in mudgrips.

How's that for torque????

J20 project
                            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• mattmopar440
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
                              Elgin 912 cam kit. offy equaflow intake. hedman headers and dual exhaust. it'll snap.
                              the Ristow 401 I got was a monster below 3,000 never had a lack of power towing
                              87' Grand Wagoneer
                              401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                              84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                              80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                              74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                              Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                              Inferior Chevy

Comment

Working...
                              X