International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-17-2005, 05:12 PM

ok.. background

78 waggie has all FLARED fittings for PS hoses ( even the HB unit from the 76 caddy I installed has flares).. these are STANDARD threads

the 96-2000 S10 4x4 Blazer box I got is O-ring type fittings ( I knew this) these are METRIC threads

FIRST attempt to adapt:

I bought the the o-ring to flare adapters from Lee Manufacturing for $13 to my door. Everything I read was right on for the install and easy... the only part that confused me was the standard thread mating with the metric on the box...

the result? leaked like a siv... ditched the adapters and called it 'lesson learned'

final attempt:

I had to have a custom line made with the standard flare fitting on one side and the metric O-ring type on the other... but how to do this without spending alot of money.

I found the specs on the box for the fittings:

pressure side: 18mm x 1.5 thread
return side: 16mm x 1.5 thread

I did this by pulling the PS hose P/N from the book... 7-2770 ($62) and find the specs on the thread size in another PS hose book at NAPA.

I then searched thru the catalog of PS hoses (the one with specs) to find P/N 7-2194 for a Caprice... 18mm on one side... 16.. on the other... only 4" long... $6.50

I took this part to Hose Pros.. they make all kinds of hyd lines.

he cut the flare side of my PS hose off and braised a standard male flare end on it... took the 18mm side and cut it off and again braised a standard male flare end on it as well... then proceeded to make the 3000 psi hyd line to couple to these modified ends at the length I specified. This will make replacement lines in the future a snap...

Take the other side (16mm) and use it on the return side of the S10 box with low pressure line and a hose clamp as it is on your FSJ now...

you are done...

total bill for everything was just under $60...

Still have to reinstall everything... but the info is for those who have the old style flared fittings and want the updated steering box...

Thanks to Jason ( ANTI-CHRYSLER ) for all the information he has shared on this swap.

I will report back after the install and testing

You have one more option.....

Go to the boneyard and snatch the o-ring fitting off the back of a GM PS pumps and X-ref a line to use for your FSJ... just thought of that... I couldnt do this due to the HB unit.

[ February 17, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
Old 02-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Disciple of A.M.C.

Quote:
Originally posted by River Beast:
Thanks to Jason ( ANTI-CHRYSLER ) for all the information he has shared on this swap.

I will report back after the install and testing

You have one more option.....

Go to the boneyard and snatch the o-ring fitting off the back of a GM PS pumps and X-ref a line to use for your FSJ... just thought of that... I couldnt do this due to the HB unit.
Thanks, Todd. The option mentioned above is indeed the best option for those just swapping the box into an otherwise stock system. Stock FSJ lines from '80 up is all you need to get.
'09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)
Old 02-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Master Mechanic

Thanks for the update...I'm glad I was lazy and didn't get around to order those fittings.
360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

OK, so I'm going to ask the dumb question. Would it be possible to put in the S-10 PS pump, and therefore standard lines, or is it just too different of an animal?
'78 Cherokee Chief WT 33X12.50 BFG A/T's, 15X8 Rockcrawlers, 4" BDS lift, TFI, NOS QT, TH400
"Sherman"
1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee, 44HD rear, 4:10's
"Roxie"
2004 Rubicon
"Moose"
2000 Ford Expedition XLT with 4.6L
Old 02-18-2005, 08:17 AM

turtlejoe,
I asked that same question in an earlier post and no one could see where it would be of any benifit over the AMC pumps. Having the Buick 350, I have a stock GM pump from the 71 Skylark, looks pretty much the same as this S10 pump I have here. I have to admit I know little about how they are designed and work, I might just try it anyway as I need something to replace this leaky one I have.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 02-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Disciple of A.M.C.

Don't forget all you guys need is the fitting on the back of the pump, not the whole pump iteself. And the return line isn't threaded on the return side, so that's just a rubber hose that clamps on to the line on the pump. There's no reason you need to change the pump, and the GM fitting will probably fit the Jeep pump. Then you just use the '80 up stock FSJ lines.
'09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)
Old 02-18-2005, 10:38 AM

Jason,

For clarification....

Are the 80-91 FSJ lines STANDARD or METRIC thread as this could make a difference...

the pump is not needed...If I can run a HB unit AND stock steering box off a STOCK 360 PS PUMP.. why would you think you need a PS PUMP for the S10 box?

Just curious, guys....
Old 02-18-2005, 10:50 AM

didnt i say that with all these adaptors that they wood leak...

heres the skinny. u get the metric gear and the lines that came from it. most SAE pumps have a normal barbed fitting for the low press side. so the lo press hose from the gear can just be cut to fit over this barb with a small hose clamp.

the hi press hose's metal tubing section between the O ring fitting and where the rubber hose crimp is, is cut with a tubbing cutter. then u use a 3/8" union to mate the similiarly cut SAE hose from the hi press side of your pump.

viola, a hi press hose with O ring on the gear and the SAE flare on the pump...result, over 3 years on my 66 and no leaks.

i did this EXACT change over when i installed the 1981 wagoneer '76' box on me 66. post 78 boxes are O ring [img]smile.gif[/img]

love your paint Todd. i hate u cuz ur wag is soooooo much awsome-er than mine, but still love the paint

BTW where is the post that say these s10 pumps are the cats meow and y is every1 buying them??
(Soon to be TBI)
"If it aint leaking, it's empty!"
Old 02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Disciple of A.M.C.

Quote:
Jason,

For clarification....

Are the 80-91 FSJ lines STANDARD or METRIC thread as this could make a difference...

the pump is not needed...If I can run a HB unit AND stock steering box off a STOCK 360 PS PUMP.. why would you think you need a PS PUMP for the S10 box?

Just curious, guys....
I would assume '80 and up ARE metric, since they fit like a glove. All this speak of the pump is of course not referring to your hydroboost setup. That's a special case. Your existing pump is fine.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:31 PM

Jason...

I know I dont need a special pump.. the AMC pump ran my PS and HB since I have installed it over 3 years ago...
Old 02-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Jason,

For clarification....

Just curious, guys....
Todd, I was just thinking that if my pump is already starting to show it's age and I'd have to replace it anyway, that there may be advantage in going with the S-10 version if it worked. Was really just thinking around the whole system since I'm at the point now where almost everything is going to fail sooner than later.
'78 Cherokee Chief WT 33X12.50 BFG A/T's, 15X8 Rockcrawlers, 4" BDS lift, TFI, NOS QT, TH400
"Sherman"
1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee, 44HD rear, 4:10's
"Roxie"
2004 Rubicon
"Moose"
2000 Ford Expedition XLT with 4.6L
Old 02-19-2005, 07:36 AM

now I understand... that makes sense...