• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by bkilby
    Too bad you're not closer. I could use both the windows and the fender. Lol.
    we could do a halfway thing? Or if you?re an early bird or night owl w/o traffic it?s half the drive time.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Well maybe. Not soon though. My anniversary is tomorrow and next weekend is TDS, which I'm trying to get this Jeep prepared for. I still have to figure out how to center the gear box, center the tires to the gear box, then center the steering wheel. The steering wheel is centered right now but the rig turns more left than right. I think it's the pitman arm I'm using but not sure...
      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• toddthewelder
        258 I6
        • Dec 30, 2010

Two people helps a lot. That triangle shaped piece that's part of the core support is the biggest hurdle. We slid the fender as far forward as possible, used a small screw driver to pry that triangle piece up and just maneuvered it a bit to get the fender to pop off. Oh, and the bumper ends had to come off to get the WT fender on. We then moved them out one hole (the only other set of holes) to accommodate the WT fenders. Installing is the reverse, with the fender in place behind the door first.
        Thanks, I will give that a try next time. Can you get some clapped out fenders to hack up just to get you through TDS?
        80 cj 5
        87 GW
        Another 87 GW
        88 GW
        99 Wrangler
        07 Dodge 3500
        67 Chevy SWB
        2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• bkilby
          350 Buick
          • Jan 10, 2016

I already have them mounted on the Jeep!

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
            350 Buick
            • Jul 09, 2009

That thing is looking so BAD A$$!
            What if ya just cut the front dogleg of the wheel well out and stretched it a bit to keep the body lines???
            (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks! I'm not sure that I know what you mean by dog leg.

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Well maybe. Not soon though. My anniversary is tomorrow and next weekend is TDS, which I'm trying to get this Jeep prepared for. I still have to figure out how to center the gear box, center the tires to the gear box, then center the steering wheel. The steering wheel is centered right now but the rig turns more left than right. I think it's the pitman arm I'm using but not sure...
                The drop pitman arm(if using one?), would be the cause of that. SOP for them unfortunately.
                Since it's lifted that much might want to take a peek @ the crossover steering knuckle BJ's sells.

Thanks! I'm not sure that I know what you mean by dog leg.
                That's the little panel between the rear door & quarter panel.
                Tony

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

SOP? I will probably do the crossover steering when I get to the front axle. It's going to get pulled out, sand blasted and freshened up hub to hub. New seals, brakes, steering etc. I am running a dropped arm but it came off a Ford or something. I've had it for years....

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2004

Standard Operating Procedure
                    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                    50 CJ3A
                    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

You need to do things in the proper order to center the wheel.

The arm should be straight back at center, right? Then adjust the drop link to center the wheels. You should now have the same number of turns center to lock in both directions. If not, find the bind.

The dropped arm can only help.

You prolly know all this but I thought I'd mention it.
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by SJTD

The arm should be straight back at center, right? Then adjust the drop link to center the wheels. You should now have the same number of turns center to lock in both directions. If not, find the bind.

The dropped arms aren't "centered" like the OEM pitman arm. Thus turning left vs. right is different using one.
                        I know, I had one, nothing you can do about it because they are keyed.
                        Tony

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
                          My box is angled but the dropped pitman arm is close to "straight back" to the box. I've adjusted the drag link until the steering wheel is straight but it still turns more left than right. No binding. If I center the box, then the tires to the box, the steering wheel is pointing at 9 oclock. Or, 6 turns out.

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                            The dropped arms aren't "centered" like the OEM pitman arm. Thus turning left vs. right is different using one.
                            I know, I had one, nothing you can do about it because they are keyed.
                            Is that right? I hardly ever used dropped arms, so I wouldn't know. Lol. I mean, I know about them being keyed....

Comment

• bkilby
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                              Standard Operating Procedure
                              Makes sense now. Thanks!

Comment

• babywag
                                out of order
                                • Jun 08, 2005

Is that right? I hardly ever used dropped arms, so I wouldn't know. Lol. I mean, I know about them being keyed....
                                The one I had when compared to an OEM arm when lined up to each other it was pretty obvious they were ?clocked? differently.
                                IIRC i talked to BJ?s about it, they even sent me a different arm.
                                Both did it...IIRC they said it was normal, and that it was a Ford truck arm.
                                Had to just get used to it.
                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X