• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

About to pull some EFI, a bunch of easy questions

OK, went to the local wrecking yard today and they had a 1988 C10 with a 350 and a 1992 C10 with a V6. Both still had their harnesses, both had their computers. One had a throttle body but it was not in good shape, the other didn't have a TB; That's OK because I plan to get a 454 throttle body when I get home.

So some basic questions:
    1) looking through binder planet, both these harnesses will work for a Howell type EFI install, right?
    2) What are these connectors and do I need the wiring that goes with them? In other words, can I just disconnect them and remove the wiring from the harness when I get home or do I need to chase down the other end of them and get that wiring too?

3) I plan to eventually run a 700R4 or 4L60, will the 7747 computer drive both of those transmissions? If so, does the wiring to the trans run through the firewall with the main harness, across the bell housing then down the driver side of the trans?
    4) what are these connectors and do I need them or can I cut the wires? These wires go into main harness so I am not sure...

5) One truck has a 7747 and the other one his this computer. I can't find much on this computer. I assume I should grab the 7747, right?

6) If I eventually want timing control, I should pull the whole harness and the 8 pin module and coil from the 350, right?
    7) The one with the V6, the harness is already 1/2 removed and still in good shape. I'll probably grab that one. Anything I should be aware of?

Lastly, I am trying Amazon Prime photo sharing. I hope it works. I posted pictures in here. Hopefully you see them...
    Last edited by rang-a-stang; 10-13-2017, 03:25 PM.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

If in doubt grab it, pretty good amount goes away when thinning a harness.
    Better to have extra even if don't need it.
    The large gauge wire comes in handy.

Best donor is a fullsize van, harness is few feet longer.

I like the later trucks w/ weatherpack relays & fuse holders.
    early 90's stuff, or even 94-95 as easily repinned and have better wiring.

You may find this useful?
    Promised this to someone else, figured might be useful to others as well? New link, google changed things again... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7yskeUx6UviVUp0SWdDX1owbkU/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-5K3XwxBm4bAaAqq4Lz8LBA
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

OK, perfect! I downloaded it. Wish me luck! I'm excited to get it!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I am SSSOOOOOoooooo excited! When I got there today, I did a cursory walk to see if I missed anything in the yard before I started pulling. Between the time I left the yard yesterday (~2pm) and when I got there as they opened this morning (8am) someone took the 7747 computer. I also found a 1994 Z71 with a 350/5 Speed that was pretty darn untouched.

So I pulled the harness from the 1992. It was in GREAT shape! I got EVERYTHING other than the Throttle body (I want a 454 TB), computer (again, the 7747 was taken), coolant temp sensor (they are cheap new), and oxygen sensor (I don't trust a wrecking yard O2 sensor). I got the whole harness, all the relays, the power distribution block on the firewall, the ignition module, the coil, MAP, and EGR Solenoid, for $65!!! I was prepared to spend close to $150 for that stuff.

the 1994 Z71 had a computer in it with a service number of 16196396. When I look around on the interwebs, I don't see much on this computer so I am assuming I should pass on it, yes? It looks like it is tied to 5 Speed trucks. I wonder what differences there were between manual computers and automatics...
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

it seems like the 16196396 would be the manual transmission parallel to 16197427? Since I don't have a computer controlled transmission, this one may work for me...
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Is there an easy way to remove the rubberey sealant in the bulkhead connector? i tried a Hairdryer and that seemed to get it close to melting. I am thinking of using a heat gun next unless someone knows an easier/better way...
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Cut off the excess with a very sharp blade, melt off the rest with heat.
              A hair dryer isn't going to do it.

My last donor was a mid 90's van...
              no gooo, added length, and came with a nice firewall grommet.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                My last donor was a mid 90's van...
                no gooo, added length, and came with a nice firewall grommet.
                I had my eye open but there were no vans (other than 4 Astro's and a Safari).

Holy cats was that a messy job! I bought a cheapie heat gun from Harbor Freight, put it on low and just took my time. Since I am working out of a hotel room, I had to use a pen as a scooper to get the goo out as it melted. Once all the wires were out, I let them cool and de-tangled them and picked the left over chunks off. Came out pretty good.

I also de-tangled the whole harness, wrapped up each sensor/signal into it's own bundle and zip tied them so the whole harness is a lot easy to handle in my room. Tomorrow I will buy a cheapie multi meter and start ringing out the lines and verifying my pin outs.

I hit the yard one more time today and found a 7747. Pretty stoked on that, too. No Ford Contours or Mercury Mystiques (for a fan) or 91-96 GM B-Body's (for center console arm rest), though.

Quick question: is there a tool that is good for moving/removing pins in the connectors? specifically the ECM connectors? Or is it easier to just trim the wires and solder into the tails left behind?
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Nevermind. Found this:
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• kansasboy001
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 06, 2016

Looking forward to how this all turns out. Ive been thinking about JY TBI, but not wanting to give up my MSD and not having egr control has been holding me back. Keep us posted!
                    1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

When you say "not having egr control has been holding me back" Do you mean you want the computer to control your EGR or you don't want the computer to control your EGR?

I DO want the computer to control mine so I am going to hook it up. If you don't want the computer to control your don't hook it up. In California, to pass smog, I have to hook EGR to ported vacuum and not let the computer control it. So when I go into my biannual smog check, I plan to unhook/hide the EGR solenoid.

I am also pretty sure the same goes with the Ignition. If you want computer controlled, hook it up. If you don't (you want to stay with MSD), don't hook it up.

I will start a build thread when I start installing this but it probably wont be until Late January at the earliest, March or April is more realistic.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                      X