X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty1998
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2008

I think the thought that those studs are for another model's bracket is more plausible than anything. Definitely not for us though

And, I agree. Leave the condensation/liquid/vapor seprator where it is. It keeps moisture out of the can. (At least that's what I've been told)
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock Everything
    AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

Comment

• Jayrodoh
      360 AMC
      • Sep 07, 2004

Awesome write up! Mine is shot and I've bought two from members only to have the same problems and a box of charcoal.
      Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• Fiodh. Argus
        350 Buick
        • Jan 01, 2005

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
        Awesome write up! Mine is shot and I've bought two from members only to have the same problems and a box of charcoal.
        I guess you could have a BBQ
        Drew
        77 Cherokee WT

Comment

• j20brett
          360 AMC
          • Jul 05, 2006

So i cant exactly tell from the pics, but the breather is 100% capped off correct?
          Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• BlacksheepGW
            232 I6
            • Mar 07, 2009

Originally posted by j20brett
            So i cant exactly tell from the pics, but the breather is 100% capped off correct?
            No, it has little open passages on the nipple that goes into the breather hole. I may use a peice of hose and run it up the side and out for better ventilation, or use a filter on it.
            1984 Grand Waggy
            AMC 360
            TF727
            Soon to be NP208
            31"s via BFH and Sawzall

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

For those of you who don't want to buy it online, tell the parts counter person you have a 1993-1995 Grand Cherokee.

You'll get the same part. Comes up Part # CP 1061 from O'Reilly's.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• scotty1998
                350 Buick
                • Apr 21, 2008

Coool we have another part number to go by!!

You are correct Blacksheep, the breather is not capped off. If you turn it over, the plug is an "X" shape that fits in the hole and lets air through. Think of the cap on the outside as a mushroom
                1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                Stock Everything

Comment

• BlacksheepGW
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 07, 2009

Scotty, I owe you a drink if you are ever on teh west coast!!

Oh, and here is a pic of the Jeep you helped me get going. Even with 31s and stock gears, it has plenty of oomph! Especially when I run Premium

Last edited by BlacksheepGW; 07-20-2009, 08:05 PM.
                  1984 Grand Waggy
                  AMC 360
                  TF727
                  Soon to be NP208
                  31"s via BFH and Sawzall

Comment

• scotty1998
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 21, 2008

A very sweet ride! And, I'll take you up on that drink when I'm in town
                    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    Stock Everything

Comment

• j20brett
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 05, 2006

Originally posted by scotty1998
                      Coool we have another part number to go by!!

You are correct Blacksheep, the breather is not capped off. If you turn it over, the plug is an "X" shape that fits in the hole and lets air through. Think of the cap on the outside as a mushroom
                      So this cap comes with the canister or is it something im gonna have to find?

Edit: Found it.
                      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• jc turtle
                        258 I6
                        • Dec 05, 2002

The part number on the top of the new canister is a Mopar/Jeep number.
                        Probably from a 93 Grand Cherokee. John

Comment

• skinnyD
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 06, 2009

Im so glad this thread is still going. I tore out the carb yesterday and had a look inside. I found charcoal in around the powervalve and also inside and around the fuel inlet. The mesh filter in the inlet was dirty but not plugged solid.
                          I dumped the gas out and gingerly cleaned it out with compressed air all around the carb-got it cleaned up. I just rebuilt/dipped it 3 weeks ago. Before the rebuild, I discovered what I thought was hard ball like carbon build up in the same areas as I just described. I didnt know about that black "coffee can" thing on the passenger side fender...charcoal vapor canister is its official name I think. Well thats what I found in the carb last night?!
                          Then I proceed to pull the cap on the purge valve(being mindful of the spring thanks solely this thread )on the canister and find just a tiny tiny tear on the black rubber diaphram and now Im bummin. But I did figure out whats been ailing my poor wag the whole time...I think.
                          So my question is, of everybody here thats changed out your charcoal canisters, were any of you having idleing, surging, bogging issues? Because Ive done just about everything else(carb rebuild, replace fuel/vacuum rubber throughout, gutted cat conv., checked float level). It does need plugs and timing adjustment I think, but...
                          Sorry for the long post BTW
                          1988 GW
                          white,burgundy leather woody
                          360 V8 motorcraft 2150 2bbl
                          Optima Yellowtop battery
                          Pretty much all origional/stock and luvin' it
                          SOLD
                          Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Comment

• BlacksheepGW
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 07, 2009

Mine had some idle issues and would stall during some acceleration. Its seems good so far. I DID have a vacuum leak, but I fixed that as well. It still idles a bit rough, but I KNOW I need a tune up and maybe a carb clean/rebuild
                            1984 Grand Waggy
                            AMC 360
                            TF727
                            Soon to be NP208
                            31"s via BFH and Sawzall

Comment

• scotty1998
                              350 Buick
                              • Apr 21, 2008

Skinny,

Those were my problems exactly. Surging, weird idle, acceleration wasn't punchy. It would be worse at times/better at others. I could never explain it. I checked and rechecked my vac system. Sometimes I'd find a loose or missing connection and I'd shout, Eureka! only to find that it just dumbed the problem down but didn't fix it entirely. The worst part was chasing the idle adjustment. I'd tune it to where the engine wouldn't stumble so much, take it out on the road, come back and either it would be worse or far too rich. Then I'd lean it out and repeat. Same problem just no richness odor. Uggh. I remember tuning the carb in shopping centers while I'd wait for my wife thinking, this is gonna be the time that I lick this idle thing.

Several board members through the years pointed me to EGR or the Vapor Canister. I knew that the can diaphragm had a hole in it so I coated it with a silicon caulk. That definitely helped but did't fix the problem. And... it never held vacuum. Oh well I thought. Can't get one of these anyway. So I moved onto other things.

So... dopey me does the following. Rebuilds his carb, replaces the EGR, new PCV, replaces all of the vac lines that I could find, upgraded to TFI, made sure I always had brand new air cleaners, replaced my wires and plugs, gapped and regapped the plugs, tightened and retightened the carb to the intake, check for vac leaks, played with the static and vac timing, and on and on. Now, in reality, the rig probably needed all of this done anyway but sheesh, it all came down to a stupid diaphragm? The bottom line is that if I just put more emphasis on the vapor can thing, I could have avoided alot of time and money.

You can test the can. Draw vacuum at the ported vac nipple (at the cap) and it should hold for a while. Or, start the engine up and remove the ported vac hose from the cap. You should not feel any air coming out of the nipple at idle. With mine, I could fill a balloon.
                              Last edited by scotty1998; 07-22-2009, 05:51 AM.
                              1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              Stock Everything

Comment

• skinnyD
                                258 I6
                                • Apr 06, 2009

Right on guys! I feel like Im chasing the real issue around. It will run nice sometimes and really crappy other times and it is like...what changed to make it run like this???????

So what can I do about the darn diaphram? Would shoo gloo do the trick as a temp. fix? Its my DD and I need it running ASAP. I am going to order a replacement from rockauto.com, but for now what can I do. I have the carb cleaned out and ready to put back on and its literally one little tear in the diaphram(not swiss cheese luckily).
                                1988 GW
                                white,burgundy leather woody
                                360 V8 motorcraft 2150 2bbl
                                Optima Yellowtop battery
                                Pretty much all origional/stock and luvin' it
                                SOLD
                                Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X