• Show
Clear All
  • 18cherokee
    350 Buick
    • Jul 21, 2003

thermostat housing - adaptor between housing & temp sender

hi -
    changed out the t-stat on 89 GW.
    had a leak at the port where the adaptor (& adjoining temperature sender bolt assembly) bolts into the housing...

the adaptor (not the temp sender assembly) that sits in the t-stat housing doesnt seem to want to pinch tight & hence the leak. wrench it tighter & it got a bit looser & the leak increased.

parts manual doesnt list this item from what i can tell - can anyone find me the part reference?

id like to order a new housing & an adaptor at the same time.

TGW & BJ's dont list it either.

cheers.
    Black Cherry 1989 Grand Wagoneer
    S&J rebuilt AMC360
    IMPCO Propane
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

Got a pic?
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• badaboom
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 05, 2001

Use teflon tape

Teflon tape used ?
      1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I think you're talking about the CTO in the thermostat housing?

I wouldn't order a new housing unless yours is cracked, or damaged in some way, The aftermarket replacement housings are pretty lousy quality.

For the CTO leaking I'd use teflon tape, or paste like used for plumbing.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Anything like a CTO or flare nut (brake tube nut) will distort if you torque on it with an open end wrench. Not a good idea. Once the nut is distorted, it will no longer seal. Use a flare nut wrench on flare nuts, and a box end wrench on the CTO if you can get it to go over the nipples on top.

The thread of the CTO is a NPT - National pipe thread - and tapered to tighten as you thread it in. You should not have to reef on it to get it to seal. The teflon tape will help to seal it, but if you bent it, it's ruined.

In Oz, there may actually be a temperature sender in the thermostat housing. If so, it's likely adapted to the hole with a NPT pipe bushing. It's not a special part- standard hardware store item here in the USA. It too is hollow, so it will distort and leak if you reef on it.

Also, if you have an aluminum OEM thermostat housing, they are breakable. Be careful that the 'stat is properly seated in its recess, and that the edge is not trapped between the block and the housing.
          Last edited by tgreese; 06-04-2015, 11:42 AM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 18cherokee
            350 Buick
            • Jul 21, 2003

Originally posted by badaboom
            Teflon tape used ?
            Tape was used the first time.
            It was nipped tight & seemed ok, but then started to leak. Touched it, it loosened up & leaked some more....
            So pulled it out & reinstalled with thixotropic gel paste used for hydraulic connections - used as an alternative to thread tape.
            But would like to find a replacement - hard to find when it's needed in the jeep & it had the guy at the hydraulic stores stumped.

Note that I have since used the gel at the housing thread, & tape at the sending unit thread - I have an additional piece between the housing & the sending unit that mates the 2 together.

Thanks for the other pointers tgreese & babywag.

My set up is pretty standard, ie nothing special about our Oz jeeps in this regard.
            Last edited by 18cherokee; 06-04-2015, 10:25 PM.
            S&J rebuilt AMC360
            IMPCO Propane

Comment

• 18cherokee
              350 Buick
              • Jul 21, 2003

Originally posted by babywag
              I think you're talking about the CTO in the thermostat housing?

I wouldn't order a new housing unless yours is cracked, or damaged in some way, The aftermarket replacement housings are pretty lousy quality.

For the CTO leaking I'd use teflon tape, or paste like used for plumbing.
              Forgive me being a dumbass, but what is CTO?
              Could you post a pic of your Wagoneers thermostat housing & sending unit set ups? I'm starting to think that the adaptor I'm referring to possibly shouldn't be there - wouldn't it be plausible that the sending unit thread should go straight into the housing instead of another piece between it & the housing?
              Last edited by 18cherokee; 06-04-2015, 10:26 PM.
              S&J rebuilt AMC360
              IMPCO Propane

Comment

• rockrollin
                258 I6
                • Apr 19, 2012

My temp sending unit is threaded into the intake, not the thermostat housing. It is right in the corner of the intake, front driver side. I have a 2bbl, a 4bbl stock, and an Edelbrock, same place on all three.
                OI!IIII!IO "I like fun" Eddie Ott
                Clawed 90 GW
                Slightly off stock

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

sounds like you have a reducer in the cto port,to fit the smaller temp probe? this is wrong,and the temp probe goes in the intake coolant runner to the right of the thermostat. as stated above.
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by 18cherokee
                    Forgive me being a dumbass, but what is CTO?
                    Coolant Temperature Override - that's what Jeep calls them. It's a thermally-driven vacuum switch.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Here is a pic of a thermostat housing and the stock temp sender location(center bottom).

From front of engine...stock temp sender(center right)

Tony

Comment

• 18cherokee
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 21, 2003

Ah I see....
                        I think what I have plugged into the top of my housing is a secondary temp sender.
                        It seems I have the stock in the correct spot too.
                        I have additional senders at the top & bottom of the block, so I have 3 gauges to look at.
                        I'll post pics later today...
                        So babywag, that's what the top housing port (you have plugged?) is for?
                        S&J rebuilt AMC360
                        IMPCO Propane

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Normally it's for a CTO (vacuum coolant temp switch dealio).

Since I have no emissions equipment that requires vacuum control, it's plugged.
                          Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X