• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 18cherokee
    350 Buick
    • Jul 21, 2003

noise at transmission/engine coupling? clacking, not ticking

hi, i have developed a noise that seems to be coming from the trans or back of engine block near the firewall - it is evident when i take my foot off the gas & roll to stoplights etc.

its like a very slight clacking noise - not a constant ticking lifter or exhaust leak noise.

i have tested it a few times, when i hear the noise i very gently put my foot on the gas & it seems to go away. back it off again & it comes back.

it isnt usually noticeable at idle/stop, unless the engine is hotter ie from a long drive at speed on the freeway.

normal temp = noise when coming to s stop, not usually when stopped.
    hot temp = noticeable at idle until engine cools down

help
    thanks
    Black Cherry 1989 Grand Wagoneer
    S&J rebuilt AMC360
    IMPCO Propane

Check bellhousing bolts, including the starter ones.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• gsmikie
      Auto Trannie God
      • Feb 18, 2001

cracked flexplate if you un bolt the converter and slide it back and tap the flexplate with a wrench if it rings it is not cracked if it sounds like a thud it is cracked
      I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• 18cherokee
        350 Buick
        • Jul 21, 2003

i've had a cracked flex-plate before - this noise is so much more subtle than that, nothing like it really - my mechanic is looking over it now, thanks for the input though
        Black Cherry 1989 Grand Wagoneer
        S&J rebuilt AMC360
        IMPCO Propane

Comment

Working...
        X