• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZZ-2000
    232 I6
    • Oct 31, 2000

Bypass Ammeter?

can I bypass my ammeter without removing my dash? Can I go straght from alt to battery?It sounds simple... but I cant afford to blow anything up rightnow. It's best to check with the experts
    </font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">85 Grand Wagoneer</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Edelbrock Performer Cam</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">HEI</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Rusty\'s 4-inch full spring lift</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">31-11.50-stock rims</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Crane HI-6 Ignition[/list]The rest stock....For Now <br />....but honey...I don\'t want A new jeep. I want to keep this one...
  • Mud Thrasher
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 21, 2001

I would say that you can't. Just pull your instrument cluster out and take the red and yellow wires and hook them together. I just tied mine together with some wire and then electric taped it up.
    1988 Grand Wag, stock for now

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

Yes, you can.

First off, disconnect the battery.

Then, remove the left A/C duct (if so equipped), and look straight up to the right of the steering column. You will see two studs sticking out the back of the instrument cluster, one with a red wire and one with a yellow. Take a 3/8" (I believe) wrench, unscrew the nuts, and put both ring terminals on one stud, and screw it back down tight. Then reinstall the A/C duct.

In the engine compartment, you want to run a 10ga wire from the (+) post on the starter relay to the big (+) post on the back of the alternator, including a few inches of 14ga fusible link wire right off the alternator. The fusible link is to keep you from frying the wag if the new charging wire shorts out. Also make sure there is some fusible link in the red wire off the back of the alternator running back to the dash.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
      X