• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck Brown
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 17, 2008

Day 2, with thanks to IFSJA (with pics)

'Evening Folks,

Well, after a frustrating past couple of days with my (first) newly acquired FSJ, we have some movement (literally) thanks to Skeletor and Fullsizjeep's kind help.

On Day 1, I got the Cherokee off the trailer and figured I'd take her for a spin down my dirt road, but by the time I hit the end of my long-winding driveway, I had to abort as there were clearly problems.

The truck was stuck in low, the eDrive control panel had been disassembled by the PO and she was just plain dragging her tail down the driveway.

After consulting with you boys, I got back on track and made the additional, and probably stupidest realization in my life....the e-brake had seized in the active position.

Once I got the levers and vaccuum switches down cold, she launched out of my dark and wet driveway like a big, fat, loud bat outta h#ll!!!

The 4v fed 401 just ripped through my road like a cannonball, and sitting in my tempory seat, I felt like Slim Pickens in the back end of Doctor Strangelove as hes holding onto the "Big One"!!!!

I figured I'd post some pics as a show of thanks for all your help (come on, everybody loves pics) and you'll see a question or two embedded in the pics, so any input is more than welcome on my end!

Thanks again boys!!!

Chuck Brown

Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
    Works in progress:
    1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
    1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift
  • azwagoneer80
    258 I6
    • Nov 29, 2004

I think the thing hanging down is the factory E-drive switch, could be wrong though. The door lock deal is a common problem, there is a member on here who sells new springs for the door latch for cheap. I've locked myself out way too many times before I fixed this.
    EDIT Here is a link for the lock springs

1980 Wagoneer 360 Tf727, NP219, TFI, exhaust, CS144 Alt, Taurus Fan.
    1986 IROC-Z finally finished.

Comment

• Chumley360
      350 Buick
      • Sep 06, 2007

The item in question in picture #1 looks like a neutral safety switch off of a 70's-ish GM steering column. If you get a better picture of I might be confirmed or it could be something else.
      1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

I bet it was a blast to get to tear off down the road! WOOT!

Originally posted by Chumley360
        The item in question in picture #1 looks like a neutral safety switch off of a 70's-ish GM steering column. If you get a better picture of I might be confirmed or it could be something else.
        affirmative on the neutral safety switch
        Last edited by fulsizjeep; 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM.
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Chuck Brown
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 17, 2008

Thanks fellas, I'll take the camera back out to the shop and get a better pic up in a few minutes!

Chuck Brown
          Works in progress:

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

The fuel line is an issue for sure. The fact there are rubber lines inside the cab is bad news. I have converted Krista's 77 Waggy to the early 80s style and the metal tubes go all the way out below before rubber line is attached. Looking to do the same to the 76 because it is fuming the cab too.

The sheet metal looks good for a 30something year old Jeep!
            Last edited by fulsizjeep; 09-12-2008, 07:04 PM.
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods

Comment

• Chuck Brown
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 17, 2008

Agreed Fullsizjeep, when I was fuelling up with the Jerry Can it was leaking like a seive, prolly lost about a cup and a half of fuel from a 5 gallon ca. I know she looks rough just because of the surface rust along the lines, but a full saturday afternoon with the DA sander ought to cut through that pretty easily. The floors are really clean and only required a few passes with the angle grinder to free up the surface rust, and tomorrow I'll hit it with a can of Tremclad white.

Chumley, heres a better pic (I hope) can anybody make out exactly what Im looking at? When I first picked up the truck I thought it was part of a disassambled column mounted turn signal assembly (why not-the rest of the dash was in boxes), but its clearly not and Im pretty much scratching my head.

Anybody got a good guess?

Chuck Brown
              Works in progress:

Comment

• Thomas792
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 16, 2007

That last picture definately looks like the Neutral Safety/Reverse Light Switch. It should have one click for each position on the transmission. Move the tab around with the key in the on position but not running. If you can start in only two of the positions (neutral and park) and the reverse lights come on in one position (if they are working correctly) then it is the Neutral Safety/Reverse Light Switch.

For the doors "automatically" locking. One of the members sells the replacement springs in the locks that cures that problem. Look in the vendors section.
                Last edited by Thomas792; 09-13-2008, 03:54 AM.
                1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
                Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• Chuck Brown
                  327 Rambler
                  • Feb 17, 2008

Thanks fellas, anybody got a plan for where/how shes supposed to be located, as having it dangling at my ankles is really starting to become a bit distracting.

I come to you collectively with hat in hand, head down and humbly ask.."wtf"?

Thanks boys, yer my heroes!

Chuck Brown
                  Works in progress:

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

It goes on the steering column near the firewall. There is a slot across the tube and you can seen a, a, a tab thingy in there that the switch lever sets against. 2 self tapping screws hold it to the tube at each end of switch. It is common for the screws to fall out. (kind of like my head) They strip out fairly easy after 30+ years too.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.

Comment

• Mack_T
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 04, 2006

Looks like a fun project you have there! Good luck,
                      Clay
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer Daily Driver "The Family Wagon"
                      Bilstein 5125's, 9" front, 8.5" rear
                      CA legal (stock) 360 with a flipped a/c lid
                      Rough Country 3" front springs
                      Rough Country AAL/ block rear
                      Custom interior bicycle rack
                      -------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.carleynet.net/familypictures
                      www.sonic.net

Comment

• Chuck Brown
                        327 Rambler
                        • Feb 17, 2008

Thanks again Boys, you guys are champs.

So, I went to the low end of the steering column near the firewall, ready to get to work, and just sat there puzzled for a minute. Nah, youre instructions were dead on, its just that....there was already a neutral safety switch installed...BESIDES the own that was hooked up and in my hand.

Now, for a closer peak...and lookee who's hiding in the shadows...

Now, Ive been known to pull a temporary "fix" now and again myself, but I usually make sure that I correct the ugliness before I sell the vehicle to somebody else.

Reminds me of the time I bought a Mustang that had two horns, one on the steering wheel rim, and another dangling under the dash, that the PO had installed when the contact on the wheel rim horn wore out.

Good times....good times.

Chuck Brown
                        Works in progress:

Comment

Working...
                        X