I found a replacement Grand Wag. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 06, 2000

I found a replacement Grand Wag. Now what?

Found what I think is a good replacement for Sluggo II. Virginia vehicle with 1/2 of 1% rust! Rockers, underside of the floor pans, those angle brackets under the body near the rockers, the skid shield, quarters, all very clean and solid. All stock '89 with 114K on the ticker. Some issues like a balky passenger front window, s-l-o-w windshield wiper motor and some webs to clear out but, when you consider I have a good donor vehicle for mechanicals, it seems very do-able.

When it was started, it smoked a bit then it cleared-up nicely. Idle was nice and smooth. A few dead bulbs, the overhead console (new to me) needs some attention as does the headliner (been there).

Should I be concerned about the smoking? It was blue which told me oil and smelled it. Once warmed up, it went away. Sluggo II made it *just* past 100K, Sluggo I made it to 98K. I don't seem to have much luck with these 360s lasting once they near the century mark...
    Frank
    '88 Grand Wagoneer (Almond), "Sluggo" (RIP)
    '88 Grand Wagoneer, (Baltic Blue) "Sluggo II" (RIP)
    '89 Grand Wagoneer, (Dover Grey) "Sluggo III", keeping my hobby alive!
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Do a compression test?
    Check air cleaner housing for blowby residue inside (oil pooling)

Worn valve guides/seals will puff on startup.
    I wouldn't be concerned with mileage unless it has low compression.
    I've owned a LOT of these things, many well over 100k w/o issues.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Carburetion is what kills most of them. Power valve goes, washes the oil off the cylinder walls and starts bore wear.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
      X